• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Update on Kaleidescape Vault!

Really? Name one besides Kaleidescape.

I used the "even if true now" caveat in my original answer because I have not read the specs for the current BD Profile. I assumed that K, given their attention to contract details, would have produced a player meeting those specs. I still believe that to be the case.

Regarding the quote you are referring to, I've owned 10+ BR players from Sony, Panasonic, Denon and Pioneer, among others, and there were several players from these manufacturers that did not decode internally (in particular DTS MA). The list is now outdated (too many models have come and gone), but if you visit the AVS Forum BR threads you should see a chart that shows which BR Players decode the HD codecs internally, versus pushing the audio by bitstream.

My only point is that even if the requirement currently exists, that was not always the case. As stated, I have not read the current specs so cannot comment on whether that requirement is in the current BR spec.

Jim

Here's my prediction: Kaleidescape will get the ability to support LPCM within 3-6 months after Meridian, Halcro and Lexicon add the ability to decode the lossless formats internally making LPCM support unnecessary.

We sell components from all of the manufacturer's listed, and given what I've been told, none of these companies is even working on internal decoding. Stuart (Meridian) has zero interest in the HD codecs, Halcro has essentially given up on the U.S. market, and it took more than a year just to get the units to even accept LPCM, and the Harman folks are apparently too busy (based on a conversation) to consider changing the HD12 at this point (they also spent a lot of time just to accept LPCM).

In the end, these decisions are all business based. Subtle, and not so subtle, jabs and challenges by bloggers is not going to affect what is done going forward.

Jim

Not to overhype Denon but their AVP processor has been out for a couple years now as is th only "higher" end piece of its type that I am aware of that will eliminate this issue of the other higher end mfrs not stepping up to current times.

Maybe its time to say goodbye to these players of yesteryear.

Not to overhype Denon but their AVP processor has been out for a couple years now as is th only "higher" end piece of its type that I am aware of that will eliminate this issue of the other higher end mfrs not stepping up to current times.

Maybe its time to say goodbye to these players of yesteryear.

Denon has several popular pieces in the market, I have a couple of friends that have the AVP-A1HDCI and are very happy with the performance. (IIRC, my company sells more Denon than any other line.)

Jim

I hope that works Jerry, but in any case it's a fun project.:)

Jim

Yes, I have its predecessor (at least in receiver form) - the 5805 MKII and have been considering the AVP-A1HDCI, but was concerned it didn't support HDMI 1.4 for 3D HD. That got me wondering where 3D might be in K-scape's (and Denon's) list of priorities.

I think the high end will be slower to adopt 3D because of the higher investment in legacy equipment.

Speaking solely for myself, I have zero interest in 3D. I found the experience in the theater to be a nice gimmick but not game changing for me and while I would wear glasses in my theater, I would not wear them for casual viewing. I know many people who have bought 3D sets and they stopped using the 3D as soon as the novelty wore off: they simply didn't want to be wearing those silly glasses.

All that said- there is a ton of hype behind 3D right now.

I agree with Jerry. I'm an early adopter, but I still do not have 3D in my home. To this point, I'm not really impressed. If 3D survives, and given the marketing push it might, it should get better. I'll wait for the technology to improve. I'm also not interested in wearing glasses to watch TV. Like Jerry I have two friends that did move to 3D and they have since moved back to 2D, although in one case it was because of the lack of content.

That said, there are many new movies being filmed to take advantage of 3D, so studio support is increasing and likely to continue for awhile.

Jim

I haven't liked the 3D experience either but keep hearing the TV manufacturers are working on better solutions. I would just hate to be shut out of something that might potentially become more desirable (e.g., a good 3D sports venue) after spending $14K for the Denon separates.

I hear ya Joe, tough decisions these days when it comes to replacing A/V components. I probably will have a display that does 3D at some future point, just not sure if that will be a flat panel (I'm not giving up Pio Elites!) or one of the new front projection 3D systems (Sim2 will be releasing a new 3D single box C3X Lumis projector early next year that has my attention. I'm thinking of stacking that unit with my Sim2 HT5000e and using it for only 3D, if it performs as expected based on conversations I've had with Sim2).

Jim

FYI, I replaced my McIntosh AV processor with the Denon AVP-A1HDCI - I did notice an increase in the noise floor. There is a discernable hum from the speakers, where there was none before. On the other hand, with Denon's automatic microphone level and equalizer adjustments, the sound is better for movies. And of course, the Denon supports full codec decoding. I'm happy with the switch.

I agree with the sentiment here about 3D - not worth the time/effort yet. And frankly it degrades other aspects of the movie watching experience - colors aren't as accurate or bright or saturated. Maybe for sports, when the content arrives, but that's something you can do in a living room on a plasma.

Cinelife, that C3X Lumis looks very nice. I don't have a dedicated theatre, so there's always light coming in from an adjoining hallway. For that reason, I haven't been considering projectors seriously - but maybe that's wrong. I was even starting to look at the new 85" Pioneer plasma, as I thought it might fare better for my less-than-ideal lighting situation. No shortage of pricey A/V options out there!

Ptrubey, did you pair the Denon pre-pro with the Denon POA-A1HDCI amp or something else? I'm surprised about the humming you described.

Can 3D blu-rays be imported at all via the 500's/300's or the vaults?

I believe the 3D BRs could be imported. As to playback Im not sure.

As to light- there are some projectors out there that are so bright they'd give a flat panel a run for the money if you could get some control over ambient light in the room. If I were going to spend over 20k on a flat panel Id consider a projector. Also IMHO there is nothing like a 2.35:1 playback experience and right now I don't think there is more than 1 flat panel that can do it- but there are a ton of projectors. As a matter of fact, 2.35:1 is far more important to me than 3D.

Joe, that C3X Lumis 3D is expected to be an excellent performer. One of my better friends here is ordering one as soon as they are released and he is allowing me to set it up in my place to evaluate it's performance (I gave him a crazy price in exchange for testing it:)).

I also just sold a standard C3X Lumis under the special Sim2 promo that is expiring this month (You buy the standard Lumis and Sim2 will give you a "voucher" good for a free 3D upgrade ($12,000 retail) and free shipping with 3 day turnaround once the 3D is released in 2011.) Great deal. I'll get to see how well the upgrade works for the same reason, traded off an in-home evaluation in exchange for special price. I need to know if the upgrade is worth the expense as we have a dozen clients that bought the Lumis and want to know. It is, IMO, the best performer in the marketplace at that price point, and frankly it's better than many much higher priced units available (except Jerry's:D). It's also 95% as good as my HT5000 at half the price!

Ambient light is always an issue in front projection, but with some of the light cannons out there (HT5000 and Lumis to name two) it's less than an issue. I watch football in a mixed media room on a 14' wide screen, with light colored walls and numerous windows (with shades down of course, but still plenty of ambient light) and the HT5000 looks great. Probably half contrast loss, but still looks great, completely watchable.:) The Lumis performs at about the same level.

The 85" Panny is a very nice unit, we've sold a couple (PITA to install), but a very good picture. I have the 103" at one of my other homes, that was also a real PITA to install. I had four guys helping. We had to remodel the wall and redo the electric to support the panel. It is also a nice unit, but I can see some screen image "tearing" on occasion (depending on content). Not a deal breaker. I will likely look at the 150" as well, but given my experience with the 103" it will have to perform better before it finds it's way into one of my homes. IMO, front projection is the only way to watch "big screen" movies, for the reason Jerry stated. I love 2.35 images across that 14' screen. The screen is a 2.35 Stewart Electriscreen (with 16:9 masking) that drops down for use in our multi-purpose room, and I'm using an Isco III anamorphic lens (on Scotty's Cineslide) for the 2.35. Killer image, and one that, so far, cannot be duplicated with a flat panel.

Jim

I kept my McIntosh power amps when I switched to the Denon AVP-A1HDCI, so only change was the pre-amp. Frankly, my room has a lot of air volume, and is well sound dampened, so the pre-amp is normally at -10db volume for movie watching, which I think is on high side for most theaters? And you have to be close to the speakers to hear the hum with no input.

Most hum issues we've encountered usually have something to do with the electrical ground, or other components on the same line. Maybe it's a shielding issue??? Just not sure, but I have not noticed any hum issues in the systems that have had that processor.

Jim

The old culprit was cable tv. If you have cable tv you could have a ground loop hum and its possible your prior processor did a good job of breaking that but the new processor doesnt. I used a radio shack surge suppressor power strip with f type connectors (that was rated for the HD bandwidth) to break an annoying hum once upon a time.

Thanks Jerry! I spaced the "ground loop" term when I was posting. That indeed is usually the problem.

Jim

Back