• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Update on Kaleidescape Vault!

According to the K website M class players now support Regions A, B & C not just Regions A & B as originally released.

Hi Brodric.

Have I understood this correctly:

1. KVAULT10 (or MDV) is not BR disc region specific and can not hold DVD or CD.

Correct.

2. An M300-A/B connected to a KVAULT10 can import any region BR disc in the vault.

Correct.

3. An M500-A/B can only read the specific region disc in its tray, but it can import any disc loaded in a vault that's attached to it.

An M500-A/B/C can import any Blu-ray Disc from its tray or the attached vault. It can play a Blu-ray Disc of any region, so long as there is a player of that region somewhere in the system.

4. KVAULT30 (or IDV) will be region specific, and will only read/import BR discs of its type, or the types of other M-Class players installed in the same group (meaning a KVAULT30-A can import -B content if there is an M300-B in the same group). In addition KVAULT30 will also be able to read/import all region DVD's, but with only four region changes permitted (i.e in the same way as the KPLAYERS).

The Integrated Disc Vault will be available as -A/B/C, since it has an integrated player. It will import Blu-ray Discs of any region. It will play a Blu-ray Disc of any region, so long as there is a player of that region somewhere in the system.

The Integrated Disc Vault will import DVDs and CDs. DVD region codes work as they do with all Kaleidescape players.

Thanks Tom. I hope Kaleidescape will consider extending the M-Class trade-up program to the new IDV when it's released next year. I'm inclined to buy the IDV over the MDV if the existing trade-up incentive is offered.

An M500-A/B/C can import any Blu-ray Disc from its tray or the attached vault. It can play a Blu-ray Disc of any region, so long as there is a player of that region somewhere in the system.

Tom, Can you confirm that a system with a 100 disk vault, a M500-B and a M300-A will be able to play Region A and Region B disks on either player (assuming disk in Vault).

Your statement above seems to confirm this is true for a M500, but is not explicit about the M300

Thanks

Richard

Tom, Can you confirm that a system with a 100 disk vault, a M500-B and a M300-A will be able to play Region A and Region B disks on either player (assuming disk in Vault).

I'm not Tom but I can confirm that both players in your example above would be able to play content from both regions.

I'm not Tom but I can confirm that both players in your example above would be able to play content from both regions.

Thanks, as thats what i've ordered and I need to do that here in UK !!

Cheers

R

At this point, what is the ETA for the IDV? Also, I converted all my MP2s to M500s except for one, because I planned on replacing it with an IDV, which will have it's own player. Is that still in fact the case? The only problem with my strategy is that it leaves me with an old MP2 and I'm not sure what to do with that :confused:

At this point, what is the ETA for the IDV?
I've heard that it might be as early as 1Q 2011

...IDV, which will have it's own player. Is that still in fact the case?
That is for certain.

...leaves me with an old MP2 and I'm not sure what to do with that
Hopefully there will be a trade-up offer like there is for M300/500, in which case trade your MP2 as credit towards IDV. Otherwise they have been selling about the $1k price point on eBay.

At this point, what is the ETA for the IDV?

I called and asked and while they didn't have an official release date, I was told by my guy there he was expecting around June or July of 2011 for the IDV.

I certainly think that if it was going to be out in Q1 of 2011 they would have some units in beta by now...

I have heard grumblings that it could be very late Spring/ early Summer for the IDV.

I decided to go with 3 vaults instead. Im impatient. What can I say.

There is no official release date, but Jerry is correct, we are hearing Mid-late next year, but these are rumors only.

Jim

[sigh] I'm impatient too, but physical space is at somewhat of a premium for me. The MDV and IDV are 5U units, right? And then, as you get more BR discs, the server is filling up... and we're not at 3TB or 4TB drives yet, so there's more rack space needed for another 3u server. That's a lot of U's. Man... I definitely want a vault. It's definitely not a seamless experience keeping BRs handy to pop into an M500. Mid year, sigh again...

Last edited:
[sigh] I'm impatient too, but physical space is at somewhat of a premium for me. The MDV and IDV are 5U units, right? And then, as you get more BR discs, the server is filling up... and we're not at 3TB or 4TB drives yet, so there's more rack space needed for another 3u server. That's a lot of U's. Man... I definitely want a vault. It's definitely not a seamless experience keeping BRs handy to pop into an M500. Mid year, sigh again...
[*taps foot impatiently*]
It's scary how well all those Us work out... a full IDV comes out to about 6 discs, so you can take about 2 IDVs to a server, for 13U. And 13x4=42U, so it makes for a standard size rack. So who wants to race Jim to a rack worth of BRs?

[*taps foot impatiently*]
It's scary how well all those Us work out... a full IDV comes out to about 6 discs, so you can take about 2 IDVs to a server, for 13U. And 13x4=42U, so it makes for a standard size rack. So who wants to race Jim to a rack worth of BRs?

Hahaha! That's pretty funny when you put it that way. I dunno, I guess I could put extra vaults somewhere else in the house and just keep the A/V racks for the server(s). The physical requirements will definitely influence my BR buying decisions. I wonder if they run hot. If so, that would be another consideration.

All I can tell you is I originally thought Id want the IDV and it turns out Im more than happy with the MDV. If I ever had to go over 6 units (thats how many zones I can figure out hiding places for MDVs) then Id be installing in my equipment room where I already have playback covered so its just a matter of mass storage and then maybe Id go IDV because an additional MDV would require a player added to it:: unless we eventually get the ability to daisy chain MDVs.

Joe, YES, the MDV is 5U (IDV is supposed to be as well).

I agree guys, if only using MDV's for a large BR collection, you will need a lot of rack space, if you want to keep the MDVs together. You can place an MDV anywhere within a reasonable distance from the controlling Player (read that as "I have not fully tested long USB runs yet.") So far I've only been able to link a couple of 15' USB cables, and that worked fine. I still waiting for a custom 75' cable. It may not (should not) work, but I plan to try it anyway. Have not thought about any extenders yet, but that is the easiest solution. K is also evaluating longer runs, have not heard back yet.)

I also considered just placing a vault in each room that has a Player. Just set the Player on top of the vault. There is no heat issue with the vault, it doesn't do enough to generate any heat, and there are no fans (that I can detect). The only heat is Player heat.

Jim

Right and the primary venting for the M300 is top and for the 500 seems to be the rear.

To my mind- it makes sense if you can pare up M3/500s with MDVs- if you can- if you have many rooms where you can do it. Its less centralized but the K software is great- it tells you the name of the vault where a disc resides- so you can eject it and get it any time you want.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the forthcoming IDV will be more like a traditional "K", in therms of looks? The MDV does not look nearly as sleek as other K products...

Matt

From what I believe K has stated that the IDV will follow the K "look". I am expecting a 5U blue box in about 5 to 6 months time.

Back