• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Update on Kaleidescape Vault!

Is the core audio of DTS-HDMA decoded to PCM transmitted at a higher bitrate over SPDIF than the same DTS audio on DVD?

p.s. no luck on the audio EDID issues, I've tried everything.

This should probably be a separate thread. That said, Im sorry to read that- did you try my splitting the HDMI idea? The splitter has its own EDID control. It could really help you and while its not an insubstantial amount, compared to the rest of our gear, this splitter isn't too expensive.

Im not sure if we discussed it here or over at the Meridian board, but the consensus is the core audio of the new formats sounds better than the sound off DVD.

You can try playing the same scene back to back off the DVD on the K player and the BR. I tried it and it did sound better to me. Its even better with the full decode, but if its a matter of just getting up and going, the results are good.

Important Correction

In "player decode" mode, the coaxial and optical outputs carry 5.1 channels of linear PCM at 48 kHz.

Sorry, my mistake - this information is incorrect. In "player decode" mode, the coaxial and optical outputs re-encode multi-channel audio to 5.1 channel DTS. The only way to get 5.1 channels of linear PCM is to use HDMI.

Important Correction

Sorry, my mistake - this information is incorrect. In "player decode" mode, the coaxial and optical outputs re-encode multi-channel audio to 5.1 channel DTS. The only way to get 5.1 channels of linear PCM is to use HDMI.

Thanks Tom, you just saved me an email.:)

Jim

...but if its a matter of just getting up and going, the results are good.

And that's where I am at the moment. I've ordered a KVAULT10 (there's a 3 week lead time ex Kaleidescape), so when I get that I'll find out for myself how the core lossy DTS audio quality compares with DVD DTS.

I wasn't going to order M-Class out of protest over the LPCM thing, but I've been convinced otherwise via this forum.

I think you will be very happy and surprised by the fact that the whole experience is so good that it kind of minimizes the audio thing. Its still there if thats an issue- so we just have to figure out the best path for each of us.

Glad you guys are finally "seeing the light...":D

Seriously, there is no reason to delay getting the same functional experience with our BR collections that we get with DVD. The audio aside (which really isn't that big a deal), this vault solution works very well.

Jim

..Its still there if thats an issue- so we just have to figure out the best path for each of us.

It is for me, because my audio system is a few performance levels up from my video, and I know I'm not getting the full audio experience given I can't bitstream to my processor. And I know how good LPCM sounds compared to lossy when I'm using PS3 as my source.

I just hope Kaleidescape hasn't made a commercial decision not to incorporate LPCM decoding into their next M-Class player. At one point we were offered the excuse it couldn't be done on engineering grounds for M300/500 due to 1U chassis space limitation, but obviously that doesn't gel with IDV because, you'd think, there's plenty of room inside to add that capability (and we know IDV won't decode to LPCM). Given Sony squeezed LPCM decoding capability into the PS3 hardware from day 1 then the engineering of it probably isn't a limitation for the "brains-trust" at Kaleidescape.

I understand. In my case Id say my audio system is either on par or a notch above my video. I figured out a way to get the full quality in my system.

Just taking a wild guess here but I would bet that the player spec for each BR player has to be approved by some kind of BR association/ governing body and now that K has this spec approved, I bet they are just trying to get the IDV out ASAP so that would mean it has the exact same player section as the other M class players. If this is correct then perhaps they will address our concerns in the next generation of players. But I think there has got to be a way to get this decoding it in your system.

My only gripe with the M300 is it seems to run hotter than the former K Players.

...My only gripe with the M300 is it seems to run hotter than the former K Players.

Yes. My M300 shows a typical operating temp of 73degC in the UI installer>components tab, despite having forced cooling blowing over it all the time.

Yup, the M300 does tend to run hotter than other Players, but shouldn't be an issue unless you sleep withit next to your head.:)

Jim

The issue is I have a few tighter locations, none of the other electronics seem to care, but the M300s are boarderline. Im trying to reconfigure some of the electronics in those areas so the M300s breathe better.

What sort of temps are being indicated on those 300s?

Actually, I should have said that "in general" the M300's appear to run a little hotter. I just did a system dashboard check of some of our client systems and found a range of 52c on the low side and 74c on the high side, with several (most) in the low 70's. All of these are still in the green, so should not be a problem. In contrast, the M500's tend to be mostly in the 60's.

Keep in mind that ambient temp will affect these as well as Player placement, air flow, etc. (Probably accounts for the spread.)

Jim

I have 5 M300 players:
currently
74,71,56,69,78 - these last two replaced former K 5000 players and they never got too hot. That 69 is usually a high 70s- it went too hot and I restarted it- the fan runs like mad. And that unit has a good 18" of space above it, its sitting on top of a vault, plenty of space around it.

2 M500s

Has anyone tried using a USB2.0 ethernet extender over a LAN to the KVAULT10? What I'm contemplating is KVAULT10>USB2.0Extender>cat5e>gigabit switch>cat5e>gigabit switch>cat5e>USB2.0Extender>M300. Using my existing LAN infrastructure in this way will save me the grief of running a dedicated cat5e cable between both USB2.0 extenders.

Also, has anybody successfully tried some of the cheaper USB2.0 extenders (as opposed to those expensive $500+ ones listed in the KB as having been tested).

Hi, we've been using extenders longer than just about any other dealer out there. This started in 2007 with a consulting engagement I did with a major digital signage company developing their rollout plan. Back then, you needed the name brand extenders to ensure reliability. Today, any brand will do AS LONG AS you don't push the distance limit, e.g. don't count on more than 75' with a 150' rated "cheap" product.

Remember, if a product is "cheap" there is ALWAYS a reason.

Also, these DO NOT get plugged into any ethernet switch, rather... MDF > USB cable > extender > cat wire > extender > usb cable > M300/500

Back