• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Update on Kaleidescape Vault!

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the forthcoming IDV will be more like a traditional "K", in therms of looks? The MDV does not look nearly as sleek as other K products...

Matt

As JDS indicates, yes, the new IDV is expected to look like K's current components. K is building the IDV, not a third party as was the case with the MDV. A faster solution was needed to support BR and the MDV was a good fit.

Jim

Vault now available?

Hi Guys!

I?m wondering whether the vault is already available. I ordered one at my german dealership nearly three months ago but he tells me, that he has not received one so far. Is the vault still in beta? I think they removed the beta hint on the website.

Thanx in advance for your reply!

Dirk

Hi Guys!

I?m wondering whether the vault is already available. I ordered one at my german dealership nearly three months ago but he tells me, that he has not received one so far. Is the vault still in beta? I think they removed the beta hint on the website.

Thanx in advance for your reply!

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Yes, the MDV is now available, and has been for a few weeks or so, but U.S. pre-orders were significant and K is delivering in the order the orders were received, including outside the U.S.. The beta remaining is with the software, but that should now be production as well (or close to it).

The demand for the first two releases of the MDV was very high, in fact higher than anticipated, so there is currently a back order here in the U.S., but this is expected to be cleared over the next several weeks. Hang in there!!

Jim

An M500-A/B/C can import any Blu-ray Disc from its tray or the attached vault. It can play a Blu-ray Disc of any region, so long as there is a player of that region somewhere in the system.

Has anyone else actually tried this? I have a M500 B, and a M300 A.

Both are powered on and part of the same group as the 1U server and a KPLAYER-300 and a KPLAYER-6000

I can not play a Region A disk in the M500 (B). Even if it has been imported (by the M500 B). 95% of my disks are region B, and thus my M300-A is useless (although I have made the assumption that as the M500-B can't play Region A the M300-A wont be able to play Region B).

The vault has not yet arrived.

Aaaggh.

Richard

Hi Richard,

That sounds odd. I hope K can offer some good support for this as I was about to do the same (but the other way round).

I have a M500-A and would like to add a M300-B to play back two regions. Maybe an MDV or IDV has to be in place for this to work??

Pan.

That functionality is supposed to be coming on the next software update.

Late last year my dealer told me K were working on BR playback for multi region systems with multiple viewing zones. I thought the issue had been resolved after reading Tom's statement.

Hopefully we will not have to wait too long for this increase in functionality.......I am hoping to go multi region soon so I have a vested interest.

Interestingly I have found the following (remember I have a M300-A and a M500-B and I don't have a vault yet): -

The M300-A will play back an imported Region A or Region B disk provided the disk is in the M500-B.

The M500-B will not play back an imported Region A disk that is in it's tray if you use the menu system (i.e select the disk, navigate to "Play Disk (Feature)" (that is the only play option) - you get the 'wrong region' message which is different on different disks (i.e it is on the disk)

The M500-B **will** play back an imported Region A disk that is in it's tray if you press the PLAY button on the remote instead !!! You can then happily resume from the disk menu (resume menu appears) and from within the resume function restart - the "Play Disk (Feature)" menu still breaks.

I have not managed to make the M500-B play a region A disk that is in it's tray if it has not been imported.

Anyway, I have now emailed Kaleiedscape support and will report back when I know more.

The fact that my M300-A actually works for playing region B leaves me rather relieved as most of my disks are region B - and also I have a method to play region A on my M500-B even though the disk has to be imported - I still can play the disk in the Region A Denon player until Tom's statement is implement :)

Obviously i'd like (and expected) the M500-B to be able to play Region A disks straight from the tray as I'd like to lose the Denon Region A player.

All I need now is the Vault to arrive ....

Richard

Hello Richard,

I have not managed to make the M500-B play a region A disk that is in it's tray if it has not been imported.

This feature applies only to imported Blu-ray Discs. To play a Blu-ray Disc from the tray of your M500 Player, the player must match a region code desired by the disc.

The M500-B will not play back an imported Region A disk that is in it's tray if you use the menu system (i.e select the disk, navigate to "Play Disk (Feature)" (that is the only play option) - you get the 'wrong region' message which is different on different disks (i.e it is on the disk)

If there is no "Play Movie" option, the disc may not be recognized by Kaleidescape. In this case, you will need to either loan the disc to Kaleidescape or indicate the region code of an unrecognized disc using the browser interface. Open the MOVIES tab and then the movie details.

I still can play the disk in the Region A Denon player until Tom's statement is implement :)

My statement is implemented:

Kaleidescape is working on correcting the behavior of Blu-ray region codes for systems with more than one player. Imported Blu-ray Discs will play from any M-Class player in a system, so long as there is a player somewhere in the system that matches a region code desired by the disc. In rare cases, the user may need to indicate the region code of an unrecognized disc using the browser interface.

Tom

Hello Richard,

Also, please confirm if your system is running KEAOS 4.0 or 4.1. If the region A Blu-ray Disc you're working with is recognized (and has a Play Movie selection on the M300-A but not the M500-B) you may still have KEAOS 4.0, in which the region behavior has not been corrected as I described.

Tom

Hello Richard,

Also, please confirm if your system is running KEAOS 4.0 or 4.1. If the region A Blu-ray Disc you're working with is recognized (and has a Play Movie selection on the M300-A but not the M500-B) you may still have KEAOS 4.0, in which the region behavior has not been corrected as I described.

Tom

Hi Tom

Firstly, Thanks for clarifying everything and spotting the problem. My system is running 4.0 - it says:

"Your system upgraded to software version 4.0.4-8954 on January 5. "

And thus I assume the support guys will shortly upgrade it to 4.1 having raised a ticket.

I presume once this is done, I will be able to 'Play Movie' (subject to recognised disk), but still not 'Play Disk (Feature)' - I can't recall what options were on the M300 screen

On the last post you had said "An M500-A/B/C can import any Blu-ray Disc from its tray or the attached vault. It can play a Blu-ray Disc of any region, so long as there is a player of that region somewhere in the system."

And I had read it as (and hoped, and been slightly amazed that the bluray licence would allow) the "It can play ...." didn't need the disk imported" - i.e the player became "multi-region" for play-from-tray based on what players were in the system. But importing my few non Region-B disks isn't that difficult :)

Thank you again

Richard

Last edited:
I presume once this is done, I will be able to 'Play Movie' (subject to recognised disk), but still not 'Play Disk (Feature)' - I can't recall what options were on the M300 screen.

The "Play Movie" and "Play Disc (Feature)" options will both work for imported titles once your system updates to KEAOS 4.1. The "Play Disc (Feature)" option plays the movie with the menu (which is not to be confused with actually spinning up the shiny disc.) The only time you won't be able to play an imported Blu-ray Disc is if the region code is unknown. At that point, you can enter the region code using the browser interface or loan us the disc so we can add the disc to the Movie Guide. Yesterday, I had suspected that possibly your test disc was unrecognized.

On the last post you had said "An M500-A/B/C can import any Blu-ray Disc from its tray or the attached vault. It can play a Blu-ray Disc of any region, so long as there is a player of that region somewhere in the system."

Ah, I see the potential for confusion there! I should have written "it can play an imported Blu-ray Disc of any region" as I had in the section that I quoted yesterday.

Tom

Can the region code of an M500 be changed after it has been purchased? I just recently purchased two more M500 players to add to the one I currently have and did not think about specifically ordering different region M500s to allow me to import and play some of my non-US region blu-ray discs.

Scott

Tom has kindly made my system upgrade to 4.1.0-8974 and that makes the behaviour consistant between the players and as documented.

In summary I have a M300-A and a M500-B and I can play imported Bluray content from Region A and Region B on either player (provided the disk is in the M500-B or presumably my Vault when it arrives). I can play just the movie or the whole disk.

And 4.1 seems to have a new menu to show you what is in the vault.

Thank you to Tom !

Richard

The "Play Movie" and "Play Disc (Feature)" options will both work for imported titles once your system updates to KEAOS 4.1. The "Play Disc (Feature)" option plays the movie with the menu (which is not to be confused with actually spinning up the shiny disc.) The only time you won't be able to play an imported Blu-ray Disc is if the region code is unknown. At that point, you can enter the region code using the browser interface or loan us the disc so we can add the disc to the Movie Guide. Yesterday, I had suspected that possibly your test disc was unrecognized.

Ah, I see the potential for confusion there! I should have written "it can play an imported Blu-ray Disc of any region" as I had in the section that I quoted yesterday.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I have KSERVER-6000, M500-A player & the vault running on KEAOS 4.1.
My plan is to add in another M300-B.

Can I play region B bluray content on the vault from the M500-A and play region A bluray content from M300-B ?
Pls confirm before we proceed the purchase.

Thanks,
Kartono

Can I play region B bluray content on the vault from the M500-A and play region A bluray content from M300-B ?

As long as the content is imported to your server and the original BD discs are in your vault (or the M500 tray), both players will be able to play content from either region. You will not, however, be able to play Region B discs in the M500A player without importing them first.

Pls confirm before we proceed the purchase.

Yes, so long as the content is imported you will be able to play region A and B content on both players. If the disc is not recognized by the Movie Guide, you'll need to select the region code in the browser interface.

Please excuse my laziness for posting this question. When an M-Class player is set to do the audio decoding to PCM, and thus downrez the uncompressed BR audio, does the coaxial output of the player carry sufficient bandwidth for this, or must you still use HDMI?

It's just that I'm having audio EDID issues with the M300/Lumagen Radiance/Halcro processor/display and it's driving me crazy. If I can get my audio out of the HDMI domain will solve this problem.

Please excuse my laziness for posting this question. When an M-Class player is set to do the audio decoding to PCM, and thus downrez the uncompressed BR audio, does the coaxial output of the player carry sufficient bandwidth for this, or must you still use HDMI?

It's just that I'm having audio EDID issues with the M300/Lumagen Radiance/Halcro processor/display and it's driving me crazy. If I can get my audio out of the HDMI domain will solve this problem.

Yes, in "player decode" mode, the coaxial and optical outputs carry 5.1 channels of linear PCM at 48 kHz.

Back