• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Update on Kaleidescape Vault!

It is interesting to me that I am told by my surround sound processor manufacturer that the blu ray specs actually call for the decoding to be done in the player. Any comments?

Have not read the specs, but even if this is true NOW, it obviously has not always been a requirement because there were several major manufacturer's that had units that did not decode internally.

That said, following the BR specs is a contracts issue and I'm certain K would have built according to the contract. This is confirmed by the fact that a manufacturer needs "approval" from the BR folks before a BR player can enter the marketplace. This includes sending a working unit to one of the BR members (either Samsung or LG, IIRC) for evaluation and approval, which K did last year. The player has to pass a series of specific tests (300+, IIRC) before it is approved for sale (which is one of the reasons the K BR Player was delayed).

Jim

It is interesting to me that I am told by my surround sound processor manufacturer that the blu ray specs actually call for the decoding to be done in the player. Any comments?

The M-Class players do decode to PCM, but not 7.1 linear PCM output at the original sample rate. You should always be able to get PCM audio out of an M-Class player for BR content. Also, if the BR disc is authored as 5.1 LPCM, it will output that as well (or so I'm told).

Right- I believe the spec requires you to decode the core and they do that.

FWIW, I think one day we might see something from Kalidescape but it just seems like its not due in this generation (IDV/MDV).

In the mean time there might be a way to get the digital audio off a device that can decode these formats (like a receiver) out in the form of 3XSPDIF.

I'm going to investigate further.

Received one of two beta MDV's today, the other will arrive tomorrow. I'll be setting them up with an M500 and M300 and evaluating basic operations. The new KEAOS to be used with the vaults has also been received. Because the vaults have already been announced there is no NDA, so I'll post some impressions tomorrow.

Jim

Great! Lucky guy! That makes at least 3 fun new things this month for you to be messing with and losing sleep over! ;)

Hope all going well,
-josh

p.s. Suggest you start a new thread with your impressions/review for others' convenience as this thread has meandered a lot and become a bit unwieldy!

Exciting! Hopefully that means mine is en route as well! Can't wait to tear my rack down -- like a Marine drill sergeant -- and then rebuild it better, stronger, in gleaming K'scape whites!

Great! Lucky guy! That makes at least 3 fun new things this month for you to be messing with and losing sleep over! ;)

Hope all going well,
-josh

p.s. Suggest you start a new thread with your impressions/review for others' convenience as this thread has meandered a lot and become a bit unwieldy!

Yeah Josh, these "twins" are keeping us very busy!!:)

I'll start a new thread so other owners can add their impressions as more of these hit the street.

Jim

I feel so left out. I hope mine comes in soon.

I also think the first person to get 2 units should send one in to Middle Atlantic for the face plate cutting.

I feel so left out. I hope mine comes in soon.

I also think the first person to get 2 units should send one in to Middle Atlantic for the face plate cutting.

In looking closely at the MDV, MA should easily be able to build a face plate. Although it has significantly rounded corners, the front has a good sized flat area around the loading slot.

I'll consider sending them one after I've finished checking a few things. Even if the MDV is full, as long as the movies are on the Server, reloading them wouldn't really be a problem.

Jim

Just confirming for those that asked...the supplied USB cable is 6 feet in length.

Also, in response to a question I had about extending the USB connection by using Cat5e/6 tied together with USB converter's on each end, K indicated that several USB components are currently being used with the MDV in their testing. The key seems to be that you MUST use devices that are USB 2.0 as they found USB 1.1 devices to be problematic.

So far K "unofficially" has determined that the following devices seem to work fine with the vault (Note: They are not supporting ANY of these products, just noting that they seem to work in their testing environment, so caveat emptor):

Nexxtech 2616526 7 Port powered USB Hub
Ultra ULT40370 Ultra X-Stream 15' A-Male to A-Female USB 2.0 Exten. Cable
Cables2go 28104 15' USB 2.0 Cable A to B
iCron USB Ranger 2101 USB 2.0 Cat5 Extender
Gefen EXT-USB2.0-LR Cat 5 USB 2.0 Extender

They also noted that Crestron DMC-DVI and DVPHD are NOT compatible with the MDV

The bigger point is we should be able to extend the reach of the MDV.

Jim

Did I read correctly the the MDV cannot read DVDs or CDs? So that means I can't just have M300s with MDVs if I want to be able to occasionally load in a CD or DVD?

You are correct the MDV is restricted to BluRay import only. Importation of DVD's and CD's will require an M500 or Music player until the IDV is released.

Jim: Do you know if there is any way to dim or defeat the blue lights on the vault? I have the number 25 glaring at me from my rack, and would love something more elegant than some black electrical tape. :) Also, do you know if the numeric buttons serve any purpose in the Kaleidescape world? I haven't gotten around to pressing one of them yet, though it seems like all interaction (essentially ejecting a disc) is doing via the Web utility. Have you noticed any discs that won't import from the vault but will from the player? I had that with Bolt.
Best,
John

A long time ago I had a piece of equipment that had a bright blue LED display. I went and got some tinted material and put it over the display- that still allowed me to read it but it was much dimmer...

Jim: Do you know if there is any way to dim or defeat the blue lights on the vault? I have the number 25 glaring at me from my rack, and would love something more elegant than some black electrical tape. :) Also, do you know if the numeric buttons serve any purpose in the Kaleidescape world? I haven't gotten around to pressing one of them yet, though it seems like all interaction (essentially ejecting a disc) is doing via the Web utility. Have you noticed any discs that won't import from the vault but will from the player? I had that with Bolt.
Best,
John

Hi John. Sorry, but to my knowledge the light cannot be mechanically dimmed. I placed a piece of small think Black fabric attached with double stick tape over one of mine. I'm not worried about the other because of location. I have not tested the buttons either, they are there to select specific tracks, but as you note, not really necessary with the K integration because of our web utility.

Jim

There is no way to dim the front panel LEDs on the vault.
The numeric buttons have no function. Enter will cancel the ejection of a disc and pull it back into the vault. Reset will reinitialize the connection between the vault and the player.
You can also eject discs from the movie's detail sheet on the onscreen display.

There ya go!! Thanks for the answer!

Jim

Not me, I wouldn't spend any more than $500 on an external decoder. And I won't be buying the IDV or M500 until internal decoding to LPCM is supported. Instead I'll just use the $400 PS3 which I already own for BR playback. My Kaleidescape system will stay DVD only.

Here's my prediction: Kaleidescape will get the ability to support LPCM within 3-6 months after Meridian, Halcro and Lexicon add the ability to decode the lossless formats internally making LPCM support unnecessary.

Back