• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Update on Kaleidescape Vault!

I've got about 10 in my BR collection, I think an extra KDISC-750 in my 1U server should just about cover it :D

Yeah, but then the addiction starts.....:D

I'm thinking about 500-600 will be imported, the romantic drama films will have to be searched for the old-fashioned way (unless my wife reads this post).:D

Jim

I'm awaiting clarification of the same question. Being able to import DVD's and CD's does not necessarily mean it will "bulk load." I was led to believe neither vault would bulk load, but clearly there appears to be potential with the IDV. I would think ejecting DVD and CD's once imported would be expected given they do not need to be in the vault for playback. We'll see.

Jim

Tom was kind enough to explain further. Although the IDV is not a bulk loader per se (unlike a Speed Reader/Bulk Loader, there is no "computer" control), it will in fact import whatever you put into it. The importing is automatic, just load the disk and walk away. It will be imported and stored. At a time of your choosing you can remove the DVD/CD and make room for other discs (the removal restrictions still apply to BR content).

Jim

OK, so, here are a few specific scenarios- can anyone tell me if these apply to the IDV?

1. I have a stack of blurays- I want to just insert them, one at a time, while standing there, and walk away and have them all imported. How does the IDV handle this?

2. i have a stack of mixed Bluray, DVd and CD disks- I want to the same as 1 above. Would the IDV have a function where I can tell it to spit out all DVD and CD disks, with each being spit out is prompted by the removal of the one before it, so it is quick and convenient for me to remove them all as well as jut load them all and walk away?

3. I insert one bluray and it starts to import. About ten minutes later, I have a stack of 5 more- do I have to wait for the first to import, or can I walk up and insert the other 5?

Well, the IDV isn't shipping yet and won't for a while. That said...

1. That is basically how it would work. Each disc inserted would be identified and then if not imported, it would import the title. Load it up and some amount of days later, all the titles would be imported.

2. I haven't seen the software. It is possible to do with software, but they have no such function with the software that controlled their old bulk loader carousel.

3. You should be able to import more discs while the first one is importing. This is how it works on the old carousel bulk loaders.

I have a high end audio system that requires the player to decode the high res audio formats to PCM... (please please please)

What Jerry said. Meridian is slower than molasses when in comes to change.

Just putting my $0.02 in incase the powers that be at K read our rants.

+1, Halcro too.

I'm pretty sure that the powers at Kaleidescape do read our rants, and that they listen, it's just that they read in silence (Tom is the only one who's allowed to post to the forum).

It is already VERY CLEAR to K that the ability to decode the HD Codecs to LPCM is not only a highly desired feature, but a requirement before some owners are willing to move to BR.

Jim

I hope the audio issue is resolved within the same form factor as the 1U player.

At present I have only got 6U of space available and 5 of that will hopefully be filled with a IDV next year.

JDS, if the IDV fixes the audio issue, you will have 1U of free space considering the IDV will contain a player inside it.

Mr P. That's what I am hoping. I have a cunning plan for the last 1U as well!

Two M300 players would fit in just nicely.

Yeah, too bad you need 2 players to playback Region A and Region B content. I take it that IDV will be region specific as well?

I expect that the player integrated into the vault will be region specific for importing or playing back.

However, I hope the vault itself will not need to be region specific as it just has to verify disc presence. So previously imported discs could be placed into vault for presence verification only.

So in that case, a Region A IDV could store A & B discs (as well as any region DVD), but you'll need to have imported B content from an M500-B player, and play from an M300/500-B player, as long as the B disc is in the IDV-A? Did I get that right?

Is there any prospect you could import B content from an IDV-A as long as there was a recognized M300/500-B player in the same group as the server? It would be cool if you could import, store and play B content from an IDV-A if you had only an M300-B in the group.

This is speculation on my behalf.

I regard the vault as a separate entity to the player/import device. Therefore a IDV-A will only be able to import and play region A discs but will be able store and verify the presence region A or region B discs.

The region B discs would have to be imported via a M500-B or a IDV-B and played back via a device set to the appropriate region.

I hope the above is correct.

Sure, if so, but the logic for this has me bewildered. Don't understand that if it's good/legal enough for an IDV-A to check that it has a B-region disc within it's innards, and check that an M300/500-B is somewhere on the network, why it (speculating) won't import the B disc into the system. This A/B thing is all locked up in the software isn't it, or is it hardwired into the optical disc reader? I was hoping that if at least one player of each region type was registered in the system, then you could play any content on any player as long as the required disc was in the IDV-A or B.

Unfortunately for BluRay importing and playback each device has to be ordered from K set to the appropriate region. Playback from any player regardless of region once the disc has been imported is only available for Dvd.

If K could deliver BluRay storage and playback an easier way and stay legal I expect they would.

I've got a call in to Tom to comment on this issue. I know what I've been told, and would post that here but a quick check with K caused me to ask for clarification.

As an aside, most BR manufacturer's have elected to go region free (about 75% IIRC).

Jim

Iansilv wrote:

OK, so, here are a few specific scenarios- can anyone tell me if these apply to the IDV?

1. I have a stack of blurays- I want to just insert them, one at a time, while standing there, and walk away and have them all imported. How does the IDV handle this?

Either disc vault will first identify all of the Blu-ray Discs, and then import any that aren't already on the server.

2. i have a stack of mixed Bluray, DVd and CD disks- I want to the same as 1 above. Would the IDV have a function where I can tell it to spit out all DVD and CD disks, with each being spit out is prompted by the removal of the one before it, so it is quick and convenient for me to remove them all as well as jut load them all and walk away?

The Modular Disc Vault will not import DVDs or CDs. The Integrated Disc Vault is designed with precisely this operation in mind and will have easy front panel controls to eject all of the DVDs or CDs.

3. I insert one bluray and it starts to import. About ten minutes later, I have a stack of 5 more- do I have to wait for the first to import, or can I walk up and insert the other 5?

Just walk up and insert the other 5.

Brodricj wrote:

So in that case, a Region A IDV could store A & B discs (as well as any region DVD), but you'll need to have imported B content from an M500-B player, and play from an M300/500-B player, as long as the B disc is in the IDV-A? Did I get that right?

An Integrated Disc Vault with region A could store and import Blu-ray Discs of any region code. Any M500 Player can import Blu-ray Discs of any region code.

DVD region codes work the same as they do with other Kaleidescape players. The Integrated Disc Vault will only be able to read Region 1 DVDs as shipped. The installer can use the browser interface to set these components to any other region, but it is not possible to set them to be region-free, and you can only change the region for a given component up to four times. These restrictions are dictated by the DVD Copy Control Association, Inc. You can have components in the same system set to different DVD regions. Any player will play back any DVD movie once it is imported, regardless of its region code.

Is there any prospect you could import B content from an IDV-A as long as there was a recognized M300/500-B player in the same group as the server? It would be cool if you could import, store and play B content from an IDV-A if you had only an M300-B in the group.

Kaleidescape is working on correcting the behavior of Blu-ray region codes for systems with more than one player. Imported Blu-ray Discs will play from any M-Class player in a system, so long as there is a player somewhere in the system that matches a region code desired by the disc. In rare cases, the user may need to indicate the region code of an unrecognized disc using the browser interface. We expect that this feature will be in the software release that accompanies the Modular Disc Vault.

JDS wrote:

I regard the vault as a separate entity to the player/import device. Therefore a IDV-A will only be able to import and play region A discs but will be able store and verify the presence region A or region B discs.

Either disc vault can import Blu-ray Discs of any region code.

cinelife wrote:

As an aside, most BR manufacturer's have elected to go region free (about 75% IIRC).

Yes, about 70% of Blu-ray Discs from major studios are region free and can be played on any M-Class player.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Tom

This is enlightening and better news than expected. So with an IDV-A and an M300-B in a system, you can import any region content, and playback any content from either player. Marvelous :D

And the big news many of us are waiting for, will the IDV decode uncompressed audio tracks like DTS-HDMA to LPCM?

Back