• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Update on Kaleidescape Vault!

I don't think we are going to see anybody post the dealer pricing on here for all the world to see...

Any idea what real cost of the disc vault is? I realize that MSRP is 1500. What do you think that they are charging the dealers?

As Mike pointed out, dealer cost will not likely be posted, we (dealers) signed a confidentiality agreement. Also, just fyi, dealer cost is variable, there are many "levels" based on dealer sales, so there is no one number that applies to all dealers.

Jim

The question has to be asked.. could Kscape have chosen an uglier Disk Vault? I am so glad I spec'ed a decent walk space behind my 4 racks to hide it :D

I do hope the IDV has more familiar Kscape lines to it, having said that how relevant will the IDV be if the strong rumours are true that we will finally see managed copy in Q1/Q2 2011 time frame?

I am waiting for the IDV to arrive before I go "Blue."

I hope the drive sizes will have increased by then but I think that is a little optimistic.

If / when managed copy arrives I doubt it will applicable to the disks that I have already purchased.

The question has to be asked.. could Kscape have chosen an uglier Disk Vault? I am so glad I spec'ed a decent walk space behind my 4 racks to hide it :D

I do hope the IDV has more familiar Kscape lines to it, having said that how relevant will the IDV be if the strong rumours are true that we will finally see managed copy in Q1/Q2 2011 time frame?

I suspect, but don't know, that this first vault was the result of an immediate need to allow blu-ray functionality. The second version coming next year should follow the current K look.

I agree with JDS, I've got an 800+ BR collection that will not likely be MC capable which makes the vault relevant in my case.

Jim

Yes, the MC spec is going to likely be incompatible with existing titles and I doubt we will see every title out on the market get re-released with an MC version. The vault will maintain its place in the market for some time.

There does seem to be some debate whether the current disks that have been issued are MMC capable or not, even though they are supposed to be. Since I can re-buy practically every disk I currently own for £5-£15 each and the MSRP of the MDV is £1500, surely I can replace every disk for less than it will cost me for MDV's. This is assuming that new disks issued are MMC capable and the studio's don't suddenly wack a huge premium on top for new disks that are MMC capable.

I would rather not have to buy 4 IDV's purely because of the rack space issues, and since my movie collection is only likely to grow it can only get worse. As for my sunseeker that becomes impossible as I am struggling to think of a location to hide a MDV

Can either vault serve as a bulk reader for regular DVDs and CDs?

Sorry, but no, they will not be capable of bulk loading DVD/CD's. They are BR only. (That's why they sell a bulk loader!:D)

Jim

Are you serious that they cannot function as a bulk loader for DVD? That was a little unexpected...

Are you serious that they cannot function as a bulk loader for DVD? That was a little unexpected...

Yes. I actually asked K this question a few weeks ago and was given the answer I posted.

Jim

on a slightly happier note....

Although I am slightly disappointed I am not entirely surprised :rolleyes:

On the up side though...

I have an 200 DVD Carousel Changer & Processor for SALE in Mint Con: :D:D

Open to sensible offers but can't post till December im afraid as Im abroad!

Rgds

Panamar

Sorry, but no, they will not be capable of bulk loading DVD/CD's. They are BR only. (That's why they sell a bulk loader!:D)

Jim

Dang. It would be kind of cool though if you could just feed it a stack of dvds, let them it copy them and store them, and later after the copying is done set it to "eject copied dvds mode" or whatever and have it then spit out one by one the dvds and cds it copied. Might just be a firmware tweak or something...

Either disc vault can be used to import Blu-ray Discs and verify that they are present. The Integrated Disc Vault can also be used to import CDs and DVDs.

Tom Barnett
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Either disc vault can be used to import Blu-ray Discs and verify that they are present. The Integrated Disc Vault can also be used to import CDs and DVDs.

Tom Barnett
Kaleidescape, Inc.

That's great! Does this mean that it will function as a bulk loader for them, and later you can "tell" it to eject the DVDs and the CDs?

I'm awaiting clarification of the same question. Being able to import DVD's and CD's does not necessarily mean it will "bulk load." I was led to believe neither vault would bulk load, but clearly there appears to be potential with the IDV. I would think ejecting DVD and CD's once imported would be expected given they do not need to be in the vault for playback. We'll see.

Jim

To be fully accurate, whether the DVD needs to be in the vault or not is still in litigation, isn't it?

To be fully accurate, whether the DVD needs to be in the vault or not is still in litigation, isn't it?

Correct, and K "may" be positioning to deal with that issue "if" it actually comes to that once the litigation is concluded. (My opinion only. I have no inside info regarding this subject.)

That said, my comment in the above post considers K's "current" position that the physical disc is not required to be present during playback.

Jim

Back