• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New kOS release supports disc cataloging on Strato

Most 4k discs come with a blu ray disc. Catalog the blu ray disc. Then go in change its title by adding "4k" and enter the 4k disc artwork. Then edit in the "collection" to a "4k blu ray disc" as I have.

If there is only a 4k disc, find a blu ray or dvd that is not in K's store/system - so that k will be unable to catalog it, load it, then enter the information as the 4k disc you want to catalog.

Once you have done the above, the 4k disc will show up in the Kaleidescape onscreen list, but it will say to load the disc to play.

At least this is what you get when like me you have an Alto in the system. Someone without an Alto in the system will need to test this and advise if this works for them.
I'm not totally sure what Steve is suggesting here, but it sounds like his method is intended to make it so that you can see your 4K discs in the onscreen display, just so you have your whole library browsable in one place. This method may work on Alto, but it will not work on Strato, because Strato will not show cataloged Blu-ray discs in the OSD, since Strato can't play Blu-rays. (Alto shows them because you could insert them into the internal drive or a connected disc vault to play them. Strato can play DVDs from a vault, but not Blu-ray discs.)

Anyway, this is not going to work for Disc to Digital. For a disc to be recognized for DtD, it has to be a DVD or Blu-ray (not 4K), cataloged, and recognized by the Media Guide. If you catalog a disc that is not recognized, you have to submit a UPC code to get it recognized. Definitely do not submit a UPC code that doesn't correspond to the actual disc that you inserted.

I'm not totally sure what Steve is suggesting here, but it sounds like his method is intended to make it so that you can see your 4K discs in the onscreen display, just so you have your whole library browsable in one place. This method may work on Alto, but it will not work on Strato, because Strato will not show cataloged Blu-ray discs in the OSD, since Strato can't play Blu-rays. (Alto shows them because you could insert them into the internal drive or a connected disc vault to play them. Strato can play DVDs from a vault, but not Blu-ray discs.)

Anyway, this is not going to work for Disc to Digital. For a disc to be recognized for DtD, it has to be a DVD or Blu-ray (not 4K), cataloged, and recognized by the Media Guide. If you catalog a disc that is not recognized, you have to submit a UPC code to get it recognized. Definitely do not submit a UPC code that doesn't correspond to the actual disc that you inserted.

I agree with what Mike says. This works when you have an Alto or an Alto with a disc vault DV-700 like I do. Since I got the DV-700, I use it for all cataloguing, and I keep the Alto in the system as its HDMI is used to play discs from the vault. And if its a 4k disc that I catalog simply to have it on my onscreen menu, if I use the corresponding blu ray to catalog it, then if there is disc to digital I'll get that if I want to use it. but if I use an unrecognized blu ray or dvd so I can enter a 4k disc simply to catalog it in my online menu, that'll only work in an Alto/DV-700 disc vault based system, and the unrecognized blu ray or dvd won't be in the online store so there will be no disc to digital for it.

Slick way to get your 4K discs to show up in your collection!

John

Cataloged a few discs which was straight forward and painless. The Canadian prices are understandably higher. The cheapest upgrades were $5.97 and $ 6.31.

I'm in a similar situation as markie4tv with their 350 4K discs (msg #113). I've been collecting movies for well over 20 years, with currently 465 DVD, 622 BluRay, and 328 4K movies on my NAS. Been seriously considered moving to Kaleidescape for a long while, and the D2D program removes my most glaring issue with it. The problem of course is the 328 4K movies that D2D won't process. Moving any of those to K means I'll basically have to buy each one *again*. I can understand having a token processing fee, but paying full price once more just seems wrong. I really hope K has a solution for this down the road.

I'm in a similar situation as markie4tv with their 350 4K discs (msg #113). I've been collecting movies for well over 20 years, with currently 465 DVD, 622 BluRay, and 328 4K movies on my NAS. Been seriously considered moving to Kaleidescape for a long while, and the D2D program removes my most glaring issue with it. The problem of course is the 328 4K movies that D2D won't process. Moving any of those to K means I'll basically have to buy each one *again*. I can understand having a token processing fee, but paying full price once more just seems wrong. I really hope K has a solution for this down the road.
The longer you wait the harder it will be. Also, the two systems can work simultaneously, you aren’t required to use one or the other. I had around 1000 movies in my PLEX. Downsized it quite a bit, but it still has a ton of stuff on it that I can still access without having to repurchase any of it. I’ve picked up a bunch on sales and bundle offers, will likely eventually D2D some more, just to downsize the RAID and clear out some rack space. But I’m not in a hurry either.

Over 99% of the 4K UHD movies that I've purchased also came with Blu-Ray discs, so I plan to catalog those movies using the Blu-Ray discs. It would be great if Kaleidescape also supported 4K discs in the future, especially if studios will charge less going from 4K disc to 4K digital compared to the cost of going from Blu-Ray disc to 4K digital. Also, it would be good in the future if K supported 4K discs in case more movies in the future come only with 4K discs with no Blu-Ray counterpart.

Does anyone know why the Asus drive has been removed from the recommended list? Did anyone on here have issues with the Asus?

Yes, we had a couple of isolated reports recently of issues with the Asus drive. It's possible that there was some change that Asus has made in firmware or manufacturing that has caused them not to work as reliably as they did when we tested. We're not sure. So, we decided to take them off the list.

We don't expect there to be any issue for folks who already have the drive and for whom it's working well.

Thought I would share my experience as a new member who just catalogued his collection. I bought the Asus drive based on an older article without realizing it had been taken off the approved list. I had about 8 discs out of 400 that were not recognized. Not sure if this is Asus drive related or if 2% is a normal rejection rate. Would be interesting to hear what others had for a rejection rate. More than half of my discs are older dvds. Two that would not read were James Bond movies but it looks like it is cheaper to buy the whole collection instead of D2D for those anyway. All of my 4K discs came with Blu-rays that I could catalog with the exception of Top Gun Maverick.

Thought I would share my experience as a new member who just catalogued his collection. I bought the Asus drive based on an older article without realizing it had been taken off the approved list. I had about 8 discs out of 400 that were not recognized. Not sure if this is Asus drive related or if 2% is a normal rejection rate. Would be interesting to hear what others had for a rejection rate. More than half of my discs are older dvds. Two that would not read were James Bond movies but it looks like it is cheaper to buy the whole collection instead of D2D for those anyway. All of my 4K discs came with Blu-rays that I could catalog with the exception of Top Gun Maverick.
I got the same drive and catalogued about the same amount of DVDs and Blu-rays. I had a similar % of rejections (I think around 5 discs did not catalog). I still have to catalog all my Criterion discs. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that K will someday be able to work out a deal with Criterion 🤞🏻

So, being in the UK, my options for drives were limited (buffalo and the others aren’t easy to source, I could import from Amazon US, but costs were high and so were lead times.), so I went for the Asus drive as well.
I catalogued ~360 DVD’s and 200 blu-rays. Zero rejects, I had one disk that wouldn’t read first time, but second time was fine, then a few older DVD’s that’s were dirty, a quick clean and hey pesto.

So thumbs up from me for the Asus drive. The problem I have now is I’m slowly filling up my Strato S with d2d, so an upgrade may be sooner than planned.

I had about 8 discs out of 400 that were not recognized. Not sure if this is Asus drive related or if 2% is a normal rejection rate.
If the disc was simply not recognized (i.e. the player couldn't tell what movie it is), that is probably not an issue with the drive. It would just be a case where the movie was perhaps an uncommon title, or an alternate pressing of a movie that we have not previously processed.

I actually tried a drive that isn't listed and it works so as long as your drive is powered I would try it to see if it works before buying something else.
Is it absolutely true that an OPPO 203 would not work for the cataloging? At a recent trade show someone mentioned it would but another post on this forum said it wouldn’t. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!!

Back