• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New kOS release supports disc cataloging on Strato

Just cataloged 850 disks in less than 9hrs. Mostly DVDs but a few BRs in there too.

Must say, even though a lot of titles are still HD/5.1, economically, this Kaliedescape business looks a lot more sound from a customer persoective With the D2D trade-in. I’m seeing some significant price reductions ob legacy DVDs.

One wonders if this software update is to boost sales of titles and hardware?

My hope is that it will encourage people to make the leap. At last count I have 373 movies on Blu-ray (106 in 4k), and 44 seasons of TV shows. Fortunately my dealer was able to lend me an M700 (I think it was) to catalog my collection. I considered re-purchasing all of the movies I still wanted on the Kscape as part of overall purchase price, and knowing that I wouldn't have to spend $20-25 for each one helped.

That said, that initial Strato purchase price is quite steep as is storage. If they try to branch out from the niche hardcore HT enthusiast market and go more mainstream, they'll need to come up with a Strato-lite solution.

Question. I have noticed all the covers on the catalogued DVDs are now on my selection screen (unowned). Can this be flagged off to show only the movies I own on kaleidescape and not the catalogued?

Question. I have noticed all the covers on the catalogued DVDs are now on my selection screen (unowned). Can this be flagged off to show only the movies I own on kaleidescape and not the catalogued?
Only way I'm aware of to remove them is to delete them from your library either individually, or via the web ui. The movies will stay under your Digital Offers page in the store even once you delete them from your library.

You could create a collection of just owned movies and then just select that collection to view and you would only see your owned movies on your screen.

Yes thanks: I have 2 Cinema One SE’s: each has a tray. I have a CoStar that links my Premiere system to a Strato/Terra system.
I'm not 100% sure about Cinema One, but on my Premiere system with an M500 player paired with a Strato, when I insert a disc into my M500, the movie's details page opens automatically on the Strato onscreen display, and that details page includes the option to catalog the disc (or to do a disc-to-digital purchase right from the onscreen display). So, that would be the simplest way to do this without purchasing the external drive to connect to the Strato.

IMG_0484.jpeg

The method suggested by JWort93 seems to have work Ok.

It seems 10.14 still behaves the same way for legacy disc players; insert disc, catalogue, and disc is assumed to be available for playback.

However, those with no disc players are only registering for potential digital upgrade. By deleting from the library, the non-digital titles disappear as suggested but remain as an owned title in DVD/BR in the store.

Also, by adding 800 titles, the Kaleidescape home page with posters is not going to be an effective OSD. I will need to play with that.

All good.

Good news. I tried my slim drive I usually use at my desk and it worked fine. It's not an "approved" list drive. It actually even worked to catalog a few using just the USBA cable with bus power, but then a few didn't take. So I connected the Y-cable to a USB power brick and those other discs cataloged.

I think I'll just return this Asus drive to Amazon. No reason to keep two. Should have tried this the first time. :)

So I was about to return one of the recommended Blu-ray players I purchased and just use the slim drive I already have. While I'm guessing there isn't any issue, it may be good to have K chime in on whether there is any potential harm with using a bus powered Blu-ray player and drawing more power than the port is intended to deliver. These are not cheap systems and I have an out of warranty Strato. I wouldn't want to risk anything to my K device. @MikeKobb

So I was about to return one of the recommended Blu-ray players I purchased and just use the slim drive I already have. While I'm guessing there isn't any issue, it may be good to have K chime in on whether there is any potential harm with using a bus powered Blu-ray player and drawing more power than the port is intended to deliver. These are not cheap systems and I have an out of warranty Strato. I wouldn't want to risk anything to my K device. @MikeKobb
Apologies if I am misunderstanding anything but I thought it had been stated in something I read that the attached blu ray should always be powered by a separate power supply. It’s either in their short document or something from a K person on here, elsewhere.

Apologies if I am misunderstanding anything but I thought it had been stated in something I read that the attached blu ray should always be powered by a separate power supply. It’s either in their short document or something from a K person on here, elsewhere.
It said that in the doc page they wrote about the process. The question per @David23 is what is what is the risk? Can powering the drive potentially damage the Strato?

I wouldn't think so. If the drive isn't getting enough power off the USB port, it would just shut down or fail to read, I would think. Per my note, I did have a few discs just not catalog while on bus power and they cataloged fine with external power. So, I'll just always plan to attach external power in the future, but I don't feel I need the dedicated "approved" drive any more.

It said that in the doc page they wrote about the process. The question per @David23 is what is what is the risk? Can powering the drive potentially damage the Strato?

I wouldn't think so. If the drive isn't getting enough power off the USB port, it would just shut down or fail to read, I would think. Per my note, I did have a few discs just not catalog while on bus power and they cataloged fine with external power. So, I'll just always plan to attach external power in the future, but I don't feel I need the dedicated "approved" drive any more.
I think Kaleidescape have made it clear what is needed. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the company to then comment on the risk if you don't then follow their guidance. Any inference that it 'might be OK' pushes the liability back on them because they would have issued 2 conflicting pieces of guidance. I am not seeking to be awkward, just trying to be reasonable about it from the company's position.

As a layman and just considering the cost of the powered blu-ray drives (recommended or not) vs the cost of a new Strato, I would think it makes sense to fork out for it for the D2D and convenience vs the alternate options but each to their own.

I think Kaleidescape have made it clear what is needed. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the company to then comment on the risk if you don't then follow their guidance. Any inference that it 'might be OK' pushes the liability back on them because they would have issued 2 conflicting pieces of guidance. I am not seeking to be awkward, just trying to be reasonable about it from the company's position.

As a layman and just considering the cost of the powered blu-ray drives (recommended or not) vs the cost of a new Strato, I would think it makes sense to fork out for it for the D2D and convenience vs the alternate options but each to their own.
Goodness, I wasn’t asking K to comment. The question was rhetorical. Or rather just food for technical thought.

Last edited:
Send it to Jim to burn through the borrow-an-Alto list twice as fast.

Thanks for the help but that list is closed, no more Alto shipping. Given the cost to ship between borrowers it made more sense for people to buy one of the recommended drives for cataloging. That also allows for a permanent disc cataloging solution in the event they acquire additional discs in the future. Here are the final counts:

Members assisted: 117
Discs cataloged: approx. 63,000 (not all borrowers commented)
Largest disc collection (reported to me): 2300
Alto's broken in the process: One
Alto's lost in the process: One
Alto's retained by borrower: One

The last Alto being used was returned to me a few day ago. That service is now closed.

Jim

Hello folks. Since there's been quite a flurry of discussion about "qualified" vs "non-qualified" and external-powered vs bus-powered drives, I figured I'd chime in briefly.

Our hardware team conducted extensive tests and evaluated a large number of drives (both externally powered and USB bus powered) before settling on the four models that we recommended and officially support. Drives with an external power supply tend to have higher powered lasers which leads to faster and more reliable disc recognition. Furthermore, the four models that we listed as "qualified" in our release documentation were the drives that had the highest recognition rates for discs when compared to the larger test population. While using a different model of drive may -- and likely will -- work, using one of the drives on our list will provide the best, most trouble-free experience.

Hello folks. Since there's been quite a flurry of discussion about "qualified" vs "non-qualified" and external-powered vs bus-powered drives, I figured I'd chime in briefly.

Our hardware team conducted extensive tests and evaluated a large number of drives (both externally powered and USB bus powered) before settling on the four models that we recommended and officially support. Drives with an external power supply tend to have higher powered lasers which leads to faster and more reliable disc recognition. Furthermore, the four models that we listed as "qualified" in our release documentation were the drives that had the highest recognition rates for discs when compared to the larger test population. While using a different model of drive may -- and likely will -- work, using one of the drives on our list will provide the best, most trouble-free experience.
Thanks.

I noticed that all of the drives tested are all Disk Writers as well as players/readers. understanding your recommended drives and the power guidance, I am assuming the connected device only needs to read the disks and so a simple external reader/player could/should also work or is there some odd feature in a writer firmware that is used, not that I can imagine what that might be? I assumed you chose writers because it probably is a more common purchase these days?

I noticed that all of the drives tested are all Disk Writers as well as players/readers. understanding your recommended drives and the power guidance, I am assuming the connected device only needs to read the disks and so a simple external reader/player could/should also work or is there some odd feature in a writer firmware that is used, not that I can imagine what that might be? I assumed you chose writers because it probably is a more common purchase these days?
There's no need for the drive to be write-capable. However, in a similar vein to powered vs unpowered, writers tend to have more powerful lasers and thus, better recognition speed and reliability with less than perfect discs. But there is no need for the drive to be write-capable, no.

Back