• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New kOS release supports disc cataloging on Strato

There's no need for the drive to be write-capable. However, in a similar vein to powered vs unpowered, writers tend to have more powerful lasers and thus, better recognition speed and reliability with less than perfect discs. But there is no need for the drive to be write-capable, no.
Thanks - that makes sense.

Thanks for the help but that list is closed, no more Alto shipping. Given the cost to ship between borrowers it made more sense for people to buy one of the recommended drives for cataloging. That also allows for a permanent disc cataloging solution in the event they acquire additional discs in the future. Here are the final counts:

Members assisted: 117
Discs cataloged: approx. 63,000 (not all borrowers commented)
Largest disc collection (reported to me): 2300
Alto's broken in the process: One
Alto's lost in the process: One
Alto's retained by borrower: One

The last Alto being used was returned to me a few day ago. That service is now closed.

Jim
Thanks for your help Jim! Much appreciated.
I saved a ton using your Alto and the D2D offer!!
Steve

Is anyone still waiting for the update. I haven’t received it yet. Still showing
Your system upgraded to kOS 10.13.4-23647 on November 14.
Paul

What does it say about its most recent connection to Kaleidescape services? (In the OSD, Menu -> System -> Status -> System Summary -> Last service connection)

What does it say about its most recent connection to Kaleidescape services? (In the OSD, Menu -> System -> Status -> System Summary -> Last service connection)
Hi Mike, Thx for the reply Screenshot below. Interestingly just noticed this in notifications but that’s an old server would that be causing the system not to update.

Attachments

• 5BED5441-4ED8-4710-8E09-37A89CBFDDBA.jpeg
    5BED5441-4ED8-4710-8E09-37A89CBFDDBA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • CEA582A3-0DD2-4716-8FD9-754089BBD0A0.png
    CEA582A3-0DD2-4716-8FD9-754089BBD0A0.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 43
Hi Mike, Thx for the reply Screenshot below. Interestingly just noticed this in notifications but that’s an old server would that be causing the system not to update.
I took at look at our headend records using the player serial number that's in the screen shot you posted and the server serial number in the notification. Something isn't quite right here. Please PM me the serial number of the _server_ that you are actively using (the one that is at IP 129.168.10.10). I suspect some record cleanup is needed.

Hello folks. Since there's been quite a flurry of discussion about "qualified" vs "non-qualified" and external-powered vs bus-powered drives, I figured I'd chime in briefly.

Our hardware team conducted extensive tests and evaluated a large number of drives (both externally powered and USB bus powered) before settling on the four models that we recommended and officially support. Drives with an external power supply tend to have higher powered lasers which leads to faster and more reliable disc recognition. Furthermore, the four models that we listed as "qualified" in our release documentation were the drives that had the highest recognition rates for discs when compared to the larger test population. While using a different model of drive may -- and likely will -- work, using one of the drives on our list will provide the best, most trouble-free experience.
This makes total sense. More power = more reliability. I have seen variances in reliability for reading discs on external optical drives attached to my MacBook. Also that there's only so much qualifying you can do given the massive amount of drives and form factors out there. The interface to the attached drive at a low level, I expect, is generic.

While looking at which of the recommended drives and in particular from the customer reviews, I think there have been numerous comments regarding the components in these models frequently changing and so if true (and its not just one person) then even though you would expect them to use the same spec - there is a limit to the recommendation. This was definitely true of the Buffalo and Mercury drives and one of the others but unfortunately I can't remember which. It's the nature of the business to some extent. To some extent I wish I had just ordered one because it's tedious trying to wade through the various options. Some of the drives are a little harder to source in the UK by the looks of it (cost & time). Maybe tomorrow I will just pick and order.

Well that worked even better than expected. Bought the OWC device since it has an LG drive. Connected the usb cord, plugged in, turned on, put in a disc in and in a few seconds it ejected. This was a disc that my M700 could not import. Within a few minutes I purchased the movie at the d to d price. I figure this will save wear and tear on my M700 as the store keeps expanding. Took the opportunity to buy a few more movies while I was at the store. Having an efficient way to implement d to d is really a big step forward for K. Great job fellows!

Greetings all!

We’ve begun rolling out kOS 10.14.0 to all Strato, Terra, and Alto systems, with some exciting new functionality.

I know that a number of people here will be very happy to hear that we have made disc-to-digital much easier by adding the ability to catalog DVD and Blu-ray discs on Strato using a supported external USB optical drive! It’s a very simple process, and we have a short Knowledge Base Article detailing the exact steps, but the short version is:
  • Buy one of the supported drives
  • Plug it into the USB port on the back of the Strato
  • When it’s connected, the Strato will be in “disc cataloging mode”, with some special front-panel behavior.
  • Stick a disc in the drive.
  • Wait until it is automatically ejected.
  • Repeat.
It’s really that simple. You can monitor the process by watching the browser interface.

We know that the disc-to-digital process has been a pain point for customers and dealers on Strato-only systems, and we sincerely appreciate the efforts that some of our dealers have gone through to make Alto systems available to customers to catalog discs. Jim Goodrich in particular went far above and beyond the call of duty on this.

With this new feature, it should be dramatically easier for new Kaleidescape customers to get their disc library converted over to digital downloads.

There is a list of supported drives in the article. Note that the optical drive can only be used for cataloging discs. It does not support playback or any other functionality.

In addition to the optical drive support, 10.14.0 also includes:
  • Refinements to audio track selection logic
  • HDMI robustness improvements
  • The option to purchase Season Passes through the onscreen movie store
  • Bug fixes
Is it possible to catalogue your 4K discs for disk to digital? This is one of the things holding me back from the strato, I own over 350 4K disks , my favourites, don’t fancy paying for the same disks again but a small free maybe…..

Is it possible to catalogue your 4K discs for disk to digital? This is one of the things holding me back from the strato, I own over 350 4K disks , my favourites, don’t fancy paying for the same disks again but a small free maybe…..
Unfortunately no. You can catalog the Blu-ray version only. You’ll have to upgrade to 4K with D2D. Most Blu-ray disk to 4K quality are in the $4.92 range to download 4K. Some are more. You can keep using your 4K disk player with any legacy content you don’t want to do D2D but buy any new 4K content via K Moviestore. Clearly your use case is one that K really needs to address.

Hopefully you didn’t get rid of your Blu-ray Discs that usually comes with the 4K packaging. I was glad I didn’t. Only because many of the bonus features are usually not in the 4K disc but in the Blu-ray version.

If you don’t have the Blu-ray versions, just wait until they have a sale. They sometime have Bundle sales where if you buy 3 or more movies, you pay like $6.99 or $7.99 per movie. But it is usually for a certain theme. Like Harry Potter movies or Batman movies as examples.

Maybe the D2D is the main factor BUT after the update I found that the work of strato is become more solid no more drop in audio or hdmi headache love the performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most 4k discs come with a blu ray disc. Catalog the blu ray disc. Then go in change its title by adding "4k" and enter the 4k disc artwork. Then edit in the "collection" to a "4k blu ray disc" as I have.

If there is only a 4k disc, find a blu ray or dvd that is not in K's store/system - so that k will be unable to catalog it, load it, then enter the information as the 4k disc you want to catalog.

Once you have done the above, the 4k disc will show up in the Kaleidescape onscreen list, but it will say to load the disc to play.

At least this is what you get when like me you have an Alto in the system. Someone without an Alto in the system will need to test this and advise if this works for them.

Back