• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New kOS release supports disc cataloging on Strato

Got the software update and received the OWC drive. Hooked it up and man, this cataloging process worked great. 114 digital offers showed up, and I’m taking advantage of all the ones that upgrade my regular DVDs to Blu Ray or 4K. Great feature that works flawlessly. Thank you Kaleidescape! Keep the updates (and movies) coming.

I am noticing many of my newer movies are only $1 to $3 dollars off, others I get lucky and they are pretty cheap.

I catalogued 113 Movies (92 Blu-ray and 21 DVD)! When I went to watch a movie this evening, I noticed that the 21 DVD titles I catalogued are now showing up in my cover view and list view on the Stratos. Does anyone know how to not include the titles, so only those that I own from the K store show up? Oddly enough, none of the 92 Blu-rays are showing up, just the DVDs.

I catalogued 113 Movies (92 Blu-ray and 21 DVD)! When I went to watch a movie this evening, I noticed that the 21 DVD titles I catalogued are now showing up in my cover view and list view on the Stratos. Does anyone know how to not include the titles, so only those that I own from the K store show up? Oddly enough, none of the 92 Blu-rays are showing up, just the DVDs.
You can go to your Movies-Collection-All list in your my-kaleidescape network menu. Select the ones you want to delete and delete. This will remove them from your Strato UI. They will still show up in your Digital Offer list on the KScape website. They will be treated as unowned on the website but you will still see the disk to digital price.

Not sure why your Blu-Rays are not showing up, all mine did. I deleted 100's using the above.

You can go to your Movies-Collection-All list in your my-kaleidescape network menu. Select the ones you want to delete and delete. This will remove them from your Strato UI. They will still show up in your Digital Offer list on the KScape website. They will be treated as unowned on the website but you will still see the disk to digital price.

Not sure why your Blu-Rays are not showing up, all mine did. I deleted 100's using the above.
Thanks! I’ll try that now. Yeah, it’s odd that the blu-rays don’t show up on mine - but I’m glad.
Do you know if now that I’ve deleted a dvd movie that didn’t have a digital offer - True Lies, for instance. When that does become available on K will I need to catalog the disk again?

Thanks! I’ll try that now. Yeah, it’s odd that the blu-rays don’t show up on mine - but I’m glad.
Do you know if now that I’ve deleted a dvd movie that didn’t have a digital offer - True Lies, for instance. When that does become available on K will I need to catalog the disk again?
I don't believe so. I know when new digital offers become available you'll get a notice when you go to K's web site. I believe the movie "Nine" recently became available and it showed up as a new digital offer on my list.

I guess like a lot of people that travel or live/work in more than one country/region I have a mix of disks, mostly region 1 and 2. I assume that to catalogue both regions we would need to buy both a US and a UK version of the recommended player or will it work the same way as the vault? Has anyone testing it encountered this yet?

We catalogued around half of our disks in a one off exercise at startup with a dealer provided vault player and tbh I can’t remember exactly but seem to remember they were all identified/catalogued but obviously only the local ones could be watched.

Thanks

Regarding the discs showing up in the UI -- it's normal to see cataloged DVDs. Once the system has had time to upload information about them to the cloud, you can delete them from your system (including ones that don't yet have digital offers) and we'll remember. Blu-ray discs that you catalog will not appear in the Strato onscreen display.

The reason for this difference is that the Strato is actually capable of playing DVD media, if your system also contains a Disc Vault. The Strato can play the DVDs directly from the drive in the vault. Strato can't play Blu-ray, though, and this is why those don't show up. Obviously, if your system included a Disc Vault, you wouldn't be using this feature, but that's the background to why those DVDs show up.

I have a disc vault in my system: if I load a BD into it, I believe the K system automatically loads the entire disc….is there a way to just catalog it as the new process does? It seems like I have to let it load, select a digital offer, then delete the BD

Regarding the discs showing up in the UI -- it's normal to see cataloged DVDs. Once the system has had time to upload information about them to the cloud, you can delete them from your system (including ones that don't yet have digital offers) and we'll remember. Blu-ray discs that you catalog will not appear in the Strato onscreen display.

The reason for this difference is that the Strato is actually capable of playing DVD media, if your system also contains a Disc Vault. The Strato can play the DVDs directly from the drive in the vault. Strato can't play Blu-ray, though, and this is why those don't show up. Obviously, if your system included a Disc Vault, you wouldn't be using this feature, but that's the background to why those DVDs show up.
Thanks for the clarification! I’ve deleted the DVDs from the movie list now and I still see the digital offers. 👍🏼

I have a disc vault in my system: if I load a BD into it, I believe the K system automatically loads the entire disc….is there a way to just catalog it as the new process does? It seems like I have to let it load, select a digital offer, then delete the BD
You presumably have a Premiere system. There's no way to have the vault only catalog a disc. Do you have a player with a tray as well, or just the vault?

Quite excited for this update. Got my discs I want to catalogue organized and ready, got the drive ready...just need the software to actually update! :)

You presumably have a Premiere system. There's no way to have the vault only catalog a disc. Do you have a player with a tray as well, or just the vault?
Yes thanks: I have 2 Cinema One SE’s: each has a tray. I have a CoStar that links my Premiere system to a Strato/Terra system.

I know people have tried a few other external Blu-ray drives with some success, but is there some reason a standalone Blu-ray player *wouldn't* work? I suppose I could just give it a try, but I assume connecting my Oppo 203 to the Strato via a USB cable would probably not work, but I'm not entirely sure why.

I know people have tried a few other external Blu-ray drives with some success, but is there some reason a standalone Blu-ray player *wouldn't* work? I suppose I could just give it a try, but I assume connecting my Oppo 203 to the Strato via a USB cable would probably not work, but I'm not entirely sure why.
Standalone blu-ray players don't expose their disc drives through the USB ports they have on them. The USB ports are mainly for attaching external storage to watch movies on them or firmware updates etc. Theoretically, you could probably pull the drive out of a blu-ray player and plug it into an external drive enclosure or powered SATA to USB interface, but that wouldn't be worth the hassle.

This is great news! Going to order one of the external drives tonight, How do we get the system to update to the new software. Mine still says 10.13..
where is the list of approved external drives?

Back