• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape launches movie download store

+10
Fantastic

Now if the powers that be can see fit to release move forward quickly with TV shows on bluray for download that's even better. TV shows really burn up carousel space whether it's vault or otherwise.

I'm in for Friends on bluray despite the high cost to purchase again, although I already own on DVD. I can't reconcile the slots for a tv series, including Friends, on bluray with a large disc set.

That's great news Tom. I know there are some of us waiting for the bluray quality before we start buying downloads en masse.

Can someone define "cloud atlas" for me? Unfamiliar with that term.

I think it means bluray data level but is not "bluray" as that is really a disc format.

Thanks

Cloud Atlas is a movie. (Drama, Mystery, SciFi, 2012)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1371111/

MV5BMTczMTgxMjc4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjM5MTA2OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

I never saw it nor read the book but I am getting it on video as I think I will like it. Looks interesting.

So it's one movie? Lol

Although a step in the right direction, I'll reserve my exuberance until a more broad based library of bluray quality is available ;)

Same here, I had a pre-order on Amazon and canceled when I learned it would be available at the store.

Jim

Slightly OT

When K did the special over the holidays of giving away 3 or 4 movies from the new "beta" store, did those movies come with the physical DVD and case or not? Should I have received the hard case and physical DVD? I never received the DVD's or the cases for the 4 movies I downloaded. What should my expectation be?

Thanks,

No, these are downloads only, you will not receive a physical disc. They do however maintain a record of your downloads in the event you lose content and need to reload.

Jim

Warner Bros Cloud Atlas in May will be ready per Kaleidescape on this board, but. . .

Does someone want to set a poll on if we will be able to download Warner Bros The Hobbit in non-compressed HD / Blu-Ray like format from the Kscape store when it becomes available this coming Tuesday, Mar 19?

Cheers

I did get an email notification on Saturday that The Hobbit will be available for download on Tuesday. Howver, it does not mention anything about BR availability.

John

I'll stick with the very broad window that BR will become available between tomorrow and the day Cloud Atlas is released. (But I'll add, more likely much closer to tomorrow than mid-May.:))

Jim

I'll stick with the very broad window that BR will become available between tomorrow and the day Cloud Atlas is released. (But I'll add, more likely much closer to tomorrow than mid-May.:))

Jim

Hold the phone...am I to believe we'll see a HD download of the Hobbit before May?!! That's fantastic!! I was going to wait until September when they release the extended/director's version but I would buy now if this is true.

(Crossing fingers, Jim)

I emailed them Friday and asked if I should cancel my blueray preorder.

They did reply very quickly and told me it will only be available on DVD tomorrow, not blueray.

Quote:
"We are still putting the finishing touches on Blu-ray quality downloads, so on Tuesday the new Hobbit film will only be available in DVD quality download.
"

He did say they are very close and it could be any day now.

I did get an email notification on Saturday that The Hobbit will be available for download on Tuesday. Howver, it does not mention anything about BR availability.

John

That's correct, and of course K cannot make any BR available that isn't already officially released.:)

Jim

Life in the 'Unsupported Territories' .......

Hi, my name is Peter, I live in an 'unsupported territory' and its been ohhhh around.........just about......let me see...........subtract statutory holidays........exactly .............never, since my last Kaleidescape download.

Since there are only three Kaleidescape customers in Canada (2.5 if you take into account the exchange rate), it probably wont be until 2023 before we are able to join those south of the border in this download frenzy we keep reading about.

Having said that, I can't for the life of me wonder who would download a standard definition DVD movie when the Blue Ray product exists. Perhaps if it was going to be watched on a wrist TV or a reflection off a toaster it might make sense but for my money it really has to be Blue or nothing as the saying goes. Amazon, for those of us living in the 'unsupported territories' will continue to be the source and holy grail for Blue Ray movies.

Which brings me to my point. There just might be some value in all this for those of us in the 'unsupported territories' in the sense that, when Kaleidescape finally gets the proper licensing arrangements in place those folks living in the supported territories then they will be able to watch the Blue Ray downloaded movie without having a carousel version present. This saves a slot for use by another studio not available for download yet. Perhaps, for a small fee, Kaleidescape can make that same option available for those living in the unsupported territories. We would still have to buy the movie from Amazon but we would not have to keep it in the carousel after verification.

How about it Mr. Kaleidescape Man? Could you make that scenario work?

This question comes to you from Peter and his 'unsupported Territorial' friends in the hinterland.

Peter

Just an fyi, it's "Blu-ray" not "blue" ray.

Blu-ray is a disc format for the storage of media. Whatever solution K is working on will be HD or a "Blu-ray" equivalent for 1080p viewing. As far as I know, you will not receive an actual Blu-ray disc with your download. They are not sending DVD disc with the current standard def downloads.

I'm also waiting for the 1080p download. Just good news that K is getting these movies the same day as their release to the general public. At least for those of us south of the boarder ;)

Correct, there is no "physical" disc supplied with the download. I believe there is no direct use of the description "Blu-ray" because you are not getting a BR disc, and whatever legal implications derive from that, so the description is "Blu-ray quality" download. That said, it is likely a BR disc being used as the master to get content into the Server's that support the download process, and as we all know, K's imports are a bit-for-bit transfer of the original.:)

Jim

Back