• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape launches movie download store

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
KALEIDESCAPE OFFERS INDUSTRY?S FIRST INTERNET DELIVERY OF MOVIES THAT MATCH QUALITY AND EXTRA CONTENT OF BLU-RAY DISCS AND DVDS

Kaleidescape Store Makes it Easy for Consumers to Discover Great Movies and Add Them to Their Collections

SUNNYVALE, Calif. ? December 11, 2012 - Kaleidescape, Inc. today announced an industry-first service that enables the digital delivery of movie purchases over the Internet with video and audio quality equal to Blu-ray DiscTM and DVD. The new service is initially backed by a multi-year license agreement with Warner Bros. Digital Distribution and marks the first agreement that enables the electronic delivery of digital movies containing all of the extra content found on physical Blu-ray Discs or DVDs.

Customers can now purchase and download movies directly to their Kaleidescape Systems from the newly launched Kaleidescape Store that is designed exclusively for online movie sales. This makes it easier than ever for Kaleidescape customers to expand their film libraries. Once a customer?s system is linked to an account on the Kaleidescape Store website, the titles of their current movie collection are automatically cataloged and kept up to date. This makes it simple to discover movies missing from a collection and avoid duplicate purchases. In addition, the Kaleidescape Store provides the ability to buy multiple movie titles by a favorite actor or director, all available Academy Award? winning titles, and more with a single mouse click.

Warner Bros. Digital Distribution is the first to license content for sale through the new Kaleidescape Store, providing nearly 3,000 premium films and over 8,000 television episodes. To ensure Kaleidescape System owners have access to their movies on their mobile devices, Kaleidescape has also licensed UltraViolet rights for inclusion with the purchase of most titles. Future plans will enable the consumer to add movies already purchased on disc to their UltraViolet Collection for a small fee.

?This new distribution deal dramatically improves the way customers buy movies which, until now, has remained virtually the same for the past 15 years,? said Ralph Tarnofsky, Founder and President of Professional Audio Consultants in Millburn, NJ. ?Now, multiple inconveniences in the purchasing process are completely eliminated. Customers no longer need to keep track of titles already purchased, wait for discs to arrive, or spend time organizing the discs. Until now, the conveniences of digital delivery also meant compromising on quality and special features. Now Kaleidescape customers ? who are avid movie collectors ? can enjoy a ?no compromise? buying experience.?

?The potential represented by the Kaleidescape System and the new Kaleidescape Store is, in many respects, similar to the role the iPod? played in kick-starting online music purchases,? said Michael Malcolm, Founder, Chairman and CEO of Kaleidescape. ?Our movie servers enable customers to consolidate their film libraries ? whether from disc or download ? for immediate playback. We believe that this consolidation is a pre-requisite for mass adoption of electronic movie purchases. By introducing the Kaleidescape Store in conjunction with the Warner Bros. deal, we are simplifying how movies are purchased and enjoyed at home.?

How it Works

Movies purchased on the Kaleidescape Store website can be downloaded and enjoyed on Kaleidescape movie servers through the newly released kOS 5.0 operating system. Downloads take full advantage of the system?s award-winning user interface that makes it easy for customers to find and select the film to enjoy from any television in the home. Movies can be viewed directly from the beginning without advertisements, trailers and extraneous menus. Thanks to bookmarks in the exclusive Kaleidescape Movie Guide, users can jump directly to the most memorable scenes in a movie, or to any song in a concert.

Kaleidescape?s high definition downloads will feature audio and video that equals Blu-ray Disc quality. This includes video resolution up to 1080p, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio lossless soundtracks, and 24 frame-per-second progressive scan video. Standard definition downloads feature audio and video that precisely matches DVD quality. The extra content such as director?s commentary, alternate endings, deleted scenes, and documentaries found on a disc are included in the download.

Pricing and Availability

The Kaleidescape Store is now live. For additional information on an invitation to use the service, availability of movie titles, or pricing, please visit https://store.kaleidescape.com.

About Kaleidescape

Kaleidescape is pioneering the development of movie servers that redefine how film enthusiasts purchase, organize and enjoy their movie collections. Featuring a breakthrough user interface that gives viewers unprecedented flexibility and control over the movies they watch, the Kaleidescape system makes it easy for customers to select and enjoy films from their entire collection of DVD, Blu-ray and downloaded movies from any television in the home. Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, Kaleidescape sells its products through custom installation dealers and distributors throughout the world. For more information, please visit www.kaleidescape.com.

Kaleidescape and the Kaleidescape logo are trademarks of Kaleidescape, Inc.; they are registered in the United States and certain other jurisdictions. Other trademarks and trade names are owned by third parties and may be registered in some jurisdictions.

Last edited:
Hi ptrubey,

That's correct - at this point the Kaleidescape Store has DVD quality downloads. We have a bit of work to complete before we begin the Blu-ray quality downloads in the first quarter of 2013.

Steven - yes, you will need an M-Class player to watch the Blu-ray quality downloads. Any Kaleidescape player can play the DVD quality downloads.

Best regards,
Tom Barnett
Kaleidescape, Inc.

When it says you get movies from Warner Bros. Digital Distribution, does this mean you will or won't have movies from other studios like Sony or Universal?

At the moment, the available titles are only from Warner Bros. Of course we should assume they're working on getting other studios. If we all buy lots of movies, I'm sure other studios will join as well. :)

Great news! But is it going to be open for non-US customers?

Talem - as you've noticed, the service has launched at this point only for the US. We'll be expanding the territory in 2013.

ptrubey - As Josh says, our first license is with Warner Bros. Digital Distribution for their content. Other licenses will be necessary for content from other studios.

So the press release doesn't appear to mention this is still beta, but the website doesn't let you "just get in" and requires one to send a beta request. Seems odd. Is it still beta, or are web things just not quite updated yet? I sent the beta request anyway...

--Donnie

The announcement today is just the beginning. It had to be announced before the Store officially opened for business. The process of getting this up and running is incremental, DVD quality to begin with, followed by BR quality within the next few months. WB library to begin with followed by other studios going forward (that's the plan). Access is also incremental, adding users a little at a time to insure the download system can handle the traffic (shouldn't be a problem), and to work out any glitches not found in the first Beta.

Don't misunderstand, it's "ready," but you know K wants it all to be right as we move forward.

I'll post my experiences in Beta later today. Have fun!

Jim

If that's what they need to do, that's fine. But I still find it very odd to announce it as if it were production only to find it is really still beta when you go try to use it.

And I don't even care that it is beta, I just wanted to be able to sign up and go. This is like dangling a carrot only to pull it away at the last second. :(

--Donnie

I sent in my request for an invitation (full name and server serial number) and hope to hear back soon.
Good news. B_R content means the most to me, but I'll certainly find some DVD content to buy, if for nothing other than showing support so other studios get the msg.

If that's what they need to do, that's fine. But I still find it very odd to announce it as if it were production only to find it is really still beta when you go try to use it.

And I don't even care that it is beta, I just wanted to be able to sign up and go. This is like dangling a carrot only to pull it away at the last second. :(

--Donnie

Donnie, are you in the U.S.?

Jim

Yep.

Sorry, just realized I never set a location on this forum. It's there now.

--Donnie

Back