• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kaleidescape Solution to Meld Physical Discs with Strato 4K Movie Player

Very cool. Thanks for coming up with a solution for us Strato/Alto/Disc Server customers. I know it was not the original plan, but this works for me! Also, assume the Altos can still store movies on their hard drive for playback from the Strato like they do today? This would give you the storage of the Strato for 4K and bluray HD (or DVD) downloads will be stored across all Encore components in a system? Also, terra servers would still be integrated for additional 4K or other downloads? This means an Alto would only really play disk server content. Assume DVD playback from a Stratos would be removed as the Alto would handle or are you going to leave that feature? Lots of questions. Thanks! SJ

One more question.... Is the second HDMI audio only output from the Strato still active when playing from a Strato? SJ

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I am about to order a switch for beta testing, but after reading the material and watching the video you kindly provided, I am concerned that this solution may not work for me. I hope there is way to implement the pairing.

My system currently consists of a Strato and 2 M-500s (regions A and B). I plan on pairing one M-500 with the Strato and leaving the other M-500 unpaired. Mike, you previously explained that this should cover the various region issues just fine.

The M-500s are connected to my Meridian HD621 switch/audio extractor which strips off HDMI audio for the Meridian processor and feeds the HDMI video to the display. The Strato uses the main HDMI connected directly to the display and the secondary audio HDMI to connect to the Meridian system through the HD621.

As there is only a single HDMI output on the switch, how do I get HDMI audio from the M-500 to the Meridian system? The switch will direct video (& audio) to the display, but there does not seem to be a route for getting M-500 audio to the processor as the M-500 has only a single HDMI output. ARC is not an option. I don't want to downgrade the audio to coax or optical digital. This probably applies to any system with M-500s connected through an older receiver or processor.

Thanks for your input and looking forward to seeing what's new at CEDIA.

Wayne

Last edited:
Hi Wayne,

I'll touch base with you by email to discuss. The short answer for those here is twofold:

If your receiver or audio processor supports 4K, then you just feed the output of the Co-Star switch through your receiver and on to the display.

For receivers and processors that don't support 4K, we are testing a solution. We'll say more about the specifics of it as that testing progresses.

Very cool. Thanks for coming up with a solution for us Strato/Alto/Disc Server customers. I know it was not the original plan, but this works for me!
Glad to hear it!

Also, assume the Altos can still store movies on their hard drive for playback from the Strato like they do today? This would give you the storage of the Strato for 4K and bluray HD (or DVD) downloads will be stored across all Encore components in a system? Also, terra servers would still be integrated for additional 4K or other downloads? This means an Alto would only really play disk server content.
Correct on all counts.

Assume DVD playback from a Stratos would be removed as the Alto would handle or are you going to leave that feature?
In the current beta software, the Strato still plays the DVD content from the Disc Server, but that may change. Given that the Co-Star switch time is shorter than the time it takes to load a disc in the Disc Server, you'd be unlikely to notice much difference in the experience.

One more question.... Is the second HDMI audio only output from the Strato still active when playing from a Strato? SJ

Yes it is. Could you say a bit more about how you would expect to use it? As noted in my reply to Wayne above, use of the audio-only output is something for which we're currently testing a solution.

If you don't mind me continuing this line of questioning, my setup is as follows:

Strato
3U Server
M500 Player
M700 Vault
DV700 Vault

At present, I'm not using the Strato at all because it means I can't play Blu-ray content stored on the 3U. So how would this switch work with my system if at all? The UK distributor doesn't seem anywhere near as clued up as you guys and I think any info would help my installer as well before I make a decision to jump on the switch or not.

Hi Chaos Theory, I am in charge of Kaleidescape in the UK and I'd love to know what made you say "The UK distributor doesn't seem anywhere near as clued up as you guys and I think any info would help my installer as well before I make a decision to jump on the switch or not"?

I am as clued up as any other distributor including cinelife. So either your dealer is lying to you or you haven't even bothered contacting myself. Sorry to be blunt but it is a personal insult to me that dealers are telling you such things.

Last edited:
Yes it is. Could you say a bit more about how you would expect to use it? As noted in my reply to Wayne above, use of the audio-only output is something for which we're currently testing a solution.

Hi Mike,

I have the same question. My processor currently does not support hdcp 2.2. So I use the video output from Strato to a second HDMI input on my projector and audio only hdmi output to my processor. The m300 is connected to my processor directly and from my receiver to the first hdmi input of my projector.

Strato Audio only > Receiver > Speakers
Strato video > Hdmi 2 on projector
M300 > Receiver > Hdmi 1 on projector + Speakers.

I guess the playback from the Strato would be fine using the switch, as audio only output will still work.

What about playback from m300? Looks like it would be an issue as both audio and video use the same hdmi out.

Can you please let me know how the solution you are testing will work? Is it a new hardware switch or will it utilize the existing switch and somehow route the audio through Strato?

Please feel free to PM me if this info is not public yet.

............I am as clued up as any other distributor including cinelife. So either your dealer is lying to you or you haven't even bothered contacting myself. Sorry to be blunt but it is a personal insult to me that dealers are telling you such things.

Completely agree, unfortunately not every dealer takes the time to fully learn and understand the K systems, and I think it's easier for some lazy dealer's just to blame the Distributor for their lack of knowledge. Ridiculous.

Jim

Interface and Storage question

Great work at Kscape working on this - thank you! Even better for those of us who have held off from Disney's handcuffs, it looks like we can continue to have the best of both worlds.

I have a question on the browser interface and storage.... I have 1 x Strato and 5 x M players into multi-room system. Originally the idea was that all downloaded content would have to be transferred to the Encore storage. Therefore I have downloaded any HD or UHD content onto both systems. How will the new regime work? Do I need to transfer any content? If I upgrade only partially (i.e. leave one M player with just the Premier system), I assume I need to keep both the HD and UDH on the servers. Does the interface know I have both? Also, is there now a unified browser interface so that I know that I have both HD and UHD content without having to cross check against two open browser windows?

Very much looking forward to enjoying the full Kscape experience throughout the house now, even if my bank-manager will be raising an eye-brow or two...

From reading the FAQ's, I won't be able to play music from my M700 using the new switch. If I want to combine all my movies using the new switch, how does Kaleidescape suggest handling playing music and scripts from my 3U? I guess an HDMI splitter off my M700 should work. Is this correct or is ther a better solution?

Are there plans to update the iPad app in order to see all content from Premiere and Strato while still being able to see music content?

John

Completely agree, unfortunately not every dealer takes the time to fully learn and understand the K systems, and I think it's easier for some lazy dealer's just to blame the Distributor for their lack of knowledge. Ridiculous.

Jim

Thanks Jim. It's a real shame that dealers either don't want to learn or can't understand so they just blame us. Thankfully this forum is a place where we can set the record straight.

From reading the FAQ's, I won't be able to play music from my M700 using the new switch. If I want to combine all my movies using the new switch, how does Kaleidescape suggest handling playing music and scripts from my 3U? I guess an HDMI splitter off my M700 should work. Is this correct or is ther a better solution?

Are there plans to update the iPad app in order to see all content from Premiere and Strato while still being able to see music content?

John

Unfortunately a splitter off the M700 will not work. Once the Strato and M700 are paired the control system only sees one unit in the Strato. This should be the same for the iPad app. Only the Strato will be controlled not the paired M700. You would need another Premier player like a M300 to display the Premier onscreen music display and use the Premier only scripts.

i'm not sure why this isnt clicking in my head yet haha.

So my setup was a Strato + Vault, and then i bit the bullet on an Alto when i learned the integration with S + V would never happen.

So right now i turn on my Alto to view all of my content, except i obviously dont get the higher resolution playback via the Strato, and no HDR content.

My question: will this switch allow me to turn on my Strato, see all my content (HDR + disc server) form all 3 sources on one UI ? All while getting the resolution up-scaling?

i'm not sure why this isnt clicking in my head yet haha.

So my setup was a Strato + Vault, and then i bit the bullet on an Alto when i learned the integration with S + V would never happen.

So right now i turn on my Alto to view all of my content, except i obviously dont get the higher resolution playback via the Strato, and no HDR content.

My question: will this switch allow me to turn on my Strato, see all my content (HDR + disc server) form all 3 sources on one UI ? All while getting the resolution up-scaling?

You will see all of your titles on a 4K GUI then if you choose a disc in the vault it will switch seamlessly to the Alto for playback (not being upscaled through the Strato).

Yes Sir, you can use the Switch Kit, put the Strato on HDMI 1 and the Alto on HDMI 2. You will see a unified, single OSD that has ALL content from all 3 sources, including the physical discs stored in your Vault. When you select content that is on the Strato, or the Alto, the Switch selects the Strato for Playback. When you select content in the Vault, the Switch will select the Alto for Playback. It's that simple.

Jim

Last edited:

The new Switch does not do any scaling.

As you can see in the demo video, the TV is switching resolution when switching between Alto/Premier and the Strato. The TV flashes an input sync and resolution change from 4k to 1080p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01LhzSxCSbQ

I run the primary video from my Strato to my Lumagen Pro video processor and the hdmi Audio second output to my audio setup. This allows me to have separate audio features set for the Strato (e.g. Audio delay, surround mode, etc.). I only use this for our theater setup. Our other zone is a bit more straightforward. SJ

Yes Sir, you can use the Switch Kit, put the Strato on HDMI 1 and the Alto on HDMI 2. You will see a unified, single OSD that has ALL content from all 3 sources, including the physical discs stored in your Vault. When you select content that is on the Strato (UHD/HDR/HD/SD), the Switch selects the Strato for Playback. When you select content on the Alto, or in the Vault, the Switch will select the Alto for Playback. It's that simple.

Jim

Thanks Jim (and everyone else).

So at the end of the day, the only REAL change is the following:
- i now turn on my Strato instead of Vault, and get 4K resolution for the UI, and movies stored on the Strato (including HDR)
- when i select a movie found on the alto/vault, its basically the same presentation as i have today.

Unfortunately a splitter off the M700 will not work. Once the Strato and M700 are paired the control system only sees one unit in the Strato. This should be the same for the iPad app. Only the Strato will be controlled not the paired M700. You would need another Premier player like a M300 to display the Premier onscreen music display and use the Premier only scripts.

You lost me - are you saying that once I plug into the switch I can no longer send individual commands to the M700? If this is the case, I should at least be able to unplug from the K switch when I want to listen to music. Correct?

John

Yes Sir, you can use the Switch Kit, put the Strato on HDMI 1 and the Alto on HDMI 2. You will see a unified, single OSD that has ALL content from all 3 sources, including the physical discs stored in your Vault. When you select content that is on the Strato (UHD/HDR/HD/SD), the Switch selects the Strato for Playback. When you select content on the Alto, or in the Vault, the Switch will select the Alto for Playback. It's that simple.

Jim

Jim, won't "content on the Alto" just be played through the Strato as the Alto is part of the Encore system network? Really, the Alto will only play from the vault (or an inserted disk) with the switch setup as you described? Thanks. SJ

Thanks Jim (and everyone else).

So at the end of the day, the only REAL change is the following:
- i now turn on my Strato instead of Vault, and get 4K resolution for the UI, and movies stored on the Strato (including HDR)
- when i select a movie found on the alto/vault, its basically the same presentation as i have today.

Your Strato would play all downloaded movies. The Alto would only be triggered for playback when you select a movie from the GUI which is stored in the vault or needs to be inserted. That's my understanding. SJ

Back