• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kaleidescape Solution to Meld Physical Discs with Strato 4K Movie Player

sbutter

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
http://www.cepro.com/article/new_ka...eld_physical_discs_with_strato_4k_movie_playe

Kaleidescape, the iconic maker of high-performance media servers, is on the comeback trail after nearly closing shop last year. The company will be back at CEDIA this year in a big way, says CEO Cheena Srinivasan in an interview with CE Pro.

At the show, Kaleidescape will demonstrate a new solution that bridges the company’s original Premiere series of movie servers with the newer 4K-capable Encore line, including the 4K-capable Strato movie players.

Kaleidescape began life in 2003 with movie servers that played physical discs imported into the ecosystem. That was the Premiere series. Since the products rarely die, consumers still enjoy their DVD and Blu-ray collections in their full lossless glory, and will do so for years to come.

But that glory doesn’t come in 4K with high dynamic range, and it never will.

Enter the Encore product line, introduced in 2015 in conjunction with Kaleidescape’s new online movie store. The Encore lineup, anchored by the Strato media players, do support 4K with HDR.

Unfortunately, the Stratos don’t play physical discs imported into the Premiere platform – for many reasons including some that are beyond Kaleidescape’s control. It’s a quandary for customers who want to keep their disc collections but also play 4K titles from the store.

RELATED: Kaleidescape is Back: Interview with CEO

These users would need to maintain two completely separate ecosystems to play their stored discs on the one hand, and downloaded 4K content on the other … or they could just repurchase all of their DVDs and Blu-rays through the Kaleidescape store, if the titles even existed in the store.

“We put them in a very difficult spot,” says Srinivasan of dealers who had to deliver this news to their existing clients. “Customers don’t want to buy the same content again.”

He concedes that a lack of backward-compatibility was a “cardinal sin” with the new line, but soon there will be a fix.

At CEDIA, expect to see a solution comprising a video switcher and a piece of software that unites the movie collections from both platforms into one user interface. The user need not know where the content resides, nor which player should play it. The system will figure it out and send the content through the appropriate player.

Users will still need to buy Strato players for 4K content, but they can at least enjoy easy access to all of their titles through the same UI.

Srinivasan says the solution “gives you the best of both worlds – full access to Kaleidescape Movie Store content, including 4K Ultra HD movies, and seamless access to all the movies that you have imported on your Premiere system.”

Kaleidescape Still Tops CE Pro 100 Brands

Even though Kaleidescape’s future became tenuous last year, the company seems to have lost little momentum.

Srinivasan says Kaleidescape faced hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of product cancellations when it “closed” in August, 2016. When the company returned one month later, Srinivasan hit the road, assuring dealers the future remained bright for the iconic brand.

Those orders came back, he says. Indeed, Kaleidescape remains the top media-server brand among CE Pro 100 home-technology integrators.

“I am committed to regaining the trust and confidence of the best channel we could ask for,” Srinivasan says.

As for the new Premiere/Encore bridge, the solution will be presented at CEDIA in September, bringing “brand credibility and validation” back to Kaleidescape and its dealers, according to Srinivasan.

Meanwhile, Kaleidescapes new Strato C movie player with no internal storage began shipping earlier this year.

Okay, now that this is in the public realm....and I'm receiving several calls and emails....it is true that the "solution" to integration of content from the two systems will consist of a "switch" (available from K) that will allow an Encore component and an M-Class Player (M300, M500, M700 vault/player) to provide playback control of their content libraries. The KEAOS will provide the software that creates a single on screen guide that displays the content available from both systems. When you select the content to be played, the switch allows the relevant player (M-series or Encore) to send the content to the display (or a additional video switch, or processor, or other component in the chain). The "switch" will have two HDMI inputs (one from the Encore component, and One from the M-Player), and One HDMI output, and will HDCP compliant. It will allow for full 4K/HDR content playback as well.

The exact release date has not been announced.

Jim

So I will need this "switch" for every player?

Well it's not my favorite solution. And it means having two players in some rooms. I would guess two players if you want any DVD content and content stored on an Encore component. Similarly, two players if you want 4K content and content stored on a Premier server. I foresee buying a Terra to store content going forward rather than upgrading Premier drives, but that will necessitate a lot of new players at my house. I'm anxious to hear the details.

I like this since I won't have to opt-in for Disney on the Premier system since it stay separate - correct?

Correct.

Jim

So I will need this "switch" for every player?

No. In order to to be able to playback the content stored on both a Premiere system and an Encore system, you need a Player capable of playing back the selected content. KEAOS handles the seeing and selecting the content, as it does now, but playback of the selected content needs the correct Player (i.e. Strato for 4K (and HD or SD content stored in the Strato or Terra), an M-class Player for BR/DVD stored on a Premiere server.

You obviously only need One player for playback from each system (Premiere or Encore), so the "switch" is designed to accept One HDMI input from an Encore player (Strato or Alto), and One HDMI Input from an M-class Player. The One HDMI output will send whatever content is playing (Encore or Premiere) to the display. So, I guess another way to look at it, assuming you own both Premiere and Encore systems, is that you will need Two Players and One "switch" for each separate display you intend to use for playback from both systems.

Call me anytime to discuss Mike.

Jim

What does this mean for those of us with pure Encore systems that include a Strato and Disc Server (which currently do not communicate)?

Last edited:
I don't yet know what to make of this integration strategy but no Disney opt-in is a huge plus for me.

This sounds great to me. I can't wait to see the details. I am surprised that Kaleidescape is announcing this so far in advance of Cedia.

John

What does this mean for those of us with pure Encore systems that include a Strato and Disc Server (which currently do not communicate)?

Good question. What is the Encore solution? Integrating a Strato, Alto and DV700 under one interface? I wish they would just get the Strato to completely work with the DV700, but this issue has been ongoing. They have the DVD playback working, but not blu-ray. Hope they are not giving up. SJ

I can understand why two separate servers are required.

What I don't understand is why there must be separate players. If a Smart TV, disc player, Roku device, etc. can play content from Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, etc., why cant a single Kaleidescape player play content from both servers?

As for a more practical question, does the older or newer 1U rackmounts hold a M300 and Strato C side-by-side?

This announcement doesn't affect you at all. It is for owner's of both a Premiere and Encore system that desire to have the ability to see and control their content as one seamless system (although they actually do remain separate systems for several reasons).

To your underlying question, K continues to work on a solution that allows Strato to interface with a Vault, but the process is much more complicated than it was for Alto.

Jim

Last edited:
I can understand why two separate servers are required.

What I don't understand is why there must be separate players. If a Smart TV, disc player, Roku device, etc. can play content from Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, etc., why cant a single Kaleidescape player play content from both servers?

As for a more practical question, does the older or newer 1U rackmounts hold a M300 and Strato C side-by-side?

It's not a technological limitation, it's a legal/contractual limitation. The two systems must remain separate systems, and this therefore requires separate Players as well.

I'll check on your rack mount question, hadn't had that come up before, but I suspect they are different given those rack mounts are listed separately in the price sheets, and the components are different sizes, but I'm not sure. I'll post an answer when I get it.

Jim

Hi folks!

Just wanted to let you know that we've got an FAQ and a little demo video coming very soon that will answer a lot of these questions. As soon as we've gotten those posted, I'll let you know, and I'll be happy to answer any remaining questions! Stay tuned.

This sounds like a sensible solution to the problem of two systems. I think our Premiere systems are destined to become legacy systems as time goes on. I also think this is yet again Kaleidescape taking a creative way to solve a problem- just like the vault for Blu Ray. Nothing is perfect, this has its flaws, such as not being able to use the Encore native decoding of the high res audio formats, but consider, no one else is doing anything close. And Kaleidescape does a great job. Now you'll just get a nice 4K UI and you select the movie you want and it just plays. Kind of hard to argue with that!

I guess one question I will have is if you have both systems, do you have to use this switch? I can't think of a good reason to not use it, but maybe one exists? I'm looking forward to learning more!

This announcement doesn't affect you at all. It is for owner's of both a Premiere and Encore system that desire to have the ability to see and control their content as one seamless system (although they actually do remain separate systems for several reasons).

To your underlying question, K continues to work on a solution that allows Strato to interface with a Vault, but the process is much more complicated than it was for Alto.
Jim

I think it may indirectly affect us. I was told some months back by Kaleidescape that Blu-ray playback was hugely important because it was also the path to integrating the Premiere and Encore systems. That path seems to have changed with this new announcement.

It will be interesting to see how this works with control systems, such as Control4 etc. Will control4 control the switch unit for the TV interface? How will Control4 know which system to control after a movie has been selected?

K controls the switch. Our control systems are not supposed to be affected. You should see this question answered in the soon to be released FAQ.

Jim

Back