• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kaleidescape Solution to Meld Physical Discs with Strato 4K Movie Player

I have a question...if you currently have two Stratos in a 4k system sharing content and then a premiere system and want to join using Co-Star do you have to first split the Stratos away from each other so they are no longer sharing content? Thanks

John's correct -- the two Strato players can remain part of one system. The player that is paired with a Premiere player will see all of the content stored on both Strato players, plus the content on the Premiere system. The un-paired Strato player will just access content stored on the two Strato players.

John's correct -- the two Strato players can remain part of one system. The player that is paired with a Premiere player will see all of the content stored on both Strato players, plus the content on the Premiere system. The un-paired Strato player will just access content stored on the two Strato players.

Thanks Mike I have joined my Stratos back together and sent support an email yesterday asking they update the software on my units so I can pair. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment I have an Alto, accessing BD's on a disc server and a strato - will co-star let me use just one GUI and access all my downloads, and, BD's?

Costar is in, software is updated. I'm happy! Switching is fast!

Kevin D.

Granted both units are set to 1080p until I update everything else to 4k, but I really would have thought there would be a noticeable delay...

Kevin D.

Most displays take a few seconds to switch from 1080p to 4K and back, so you're likely to see switching times get a little longer once Strato is sending 4K. But we've worked hard to make it as quick as possible.

Most displays take a few seconds to switch from 1080p to 4K and back, so you're likely to see switching times get a little longer once Strato is sending 4K. But we've worked hard to make it as quick as possible.

I'm running the strato and M500 players at max output video and audio settings on each and both work flawlessly connected to the Co-Star switch. No noticeable delay whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just took the plunge - 2 Stratos and 2 Co-Star switches on the way.

John

ETA: Thank you Kaleidescape for a very ingenious solution to combining my Premiere with the 4K Strato. The best parts: no forced opt-in for Disney (on Premiere) and no content having to move from my 3U to a Terra server. Well done!

Last edited:
Nice. Be sure to post what you think about the solution after using it

Hi Guys, I'm finally back online from my house in FL. I was stuck at Notre Dame because of the storm last week. I appreciate all the reach outs from friends here on the forum, but my family is fine, no damage to our home, just a bunch of debris. I was following the forum discussions as best I could, but internet was spotty at my location because of an AT&T issue.

Anyway, glad to see everyone jumping onboard with these Switch Kits, they really do work very well.

Jim

Hi Guys, I'm finally back online from my house in FL. I was stuck at Notre Dame because of the storm last week. I appreciate all the reach outs from friends here on the forum, but my family is fine, no damage to our home, just a bunch of debris. I was following the forum discussions as best I could, but internet was spotty at my location because of an AT&T issue.

Anyway, glad to see everyone jumping onboard with these Switch Kits, they really do work very well.

Jim

Glad to hear your all safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim, I'm glad everyone is fine and its a nice bonus the property is fine as well. Those storms were very scary!

I just want to be sure that I understand how this works. If one does this program, you basically get an HDMI switch that will switch between a Strato player and a Premiere player. The Stato provides the UI for both. You don't need to opt in to the Disney scheme if you don't want to. That part I think I get. I need some clarity on a few other points: I think it says that UHD movies are stored on the Strato device. Is that correct or can the Premiere server store UHD content (I have 34T of free space on my 3U server that I would love to be able to use)? If UHD has to be on a Strato player, then the scheme won't work with a Strato C, right? If I purchase Blu-ray quality content from the Kaleidescape store, can that be stored on my Premiere server? What are the audio capabilities of the Strato players? If I have Music DVDs with 96/24 LPCM audio tracks, will these finally play back in full resolution or will they still be down-converted as they are on a Premiere player?

UHD content can only be stored on Strato, not Premiere systems.

Correct, if the Strato-C is the only Strato you have, you cannot download content to it, it has no internal storage. They were designed as a less expensive player alternative when you want to support additional displays and don't need the Storage.

BR Content downloaded from the Store to a Co-Star integrated system defaults to Premiere when space is available.

I have not checked the output during playback of DVD/BR Music content (concerts/shows). Perhaps someone can post the answer, but I'll also check with K.

Jim

Thanks to all that expressed concern for all of us FL folks. (We did well, no real damage except to a Pro Audio Tech Amp that failed as the power was came back up.)

Jim

UHD content can only be stored on Strato, not Premiere systems.

Correct, if the Strato-C is the only Strato you have, you cannot download content to it, it has no internal storage. They were designed as a less expensive player alternative when you want to support additional displays and don't need the Storage.

BR Content downloaded from the Store to a Co-Star integrated system defaults to Premiere when space is available.

I have not checked the output during playback of DVD/BR Music content (concerts/shows). Perhaps someone can post the answer, but I'll also check with K.

Jim

BR concerts are mainly DTS HD MA 5.1. There are other lesser formats but that is the best I have seen

In terms of pure music, the Strato won't play it. When you pair your 3U with Strato, you will need an extra M player in order to still listen to CD that you have loaded. I ordered an extra M300 in order to still play music and in order to still develop/play scripts from content on my 3U.

John

Back