• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kaleidescape Solution to Meld Physical Discs with Strato 4K Movie Player

You lost me - are you saying that once I plug into the switch I can no longer send individual commands to the M700? If this is the case, I should at least be able to unplug from the K switch when I want to listen to music. Correct?

John

Using the browser interface on the Strato, you pair the Strato to the M700. This Pairing changes the M700 software to be only be controlled by the Strato.

From the new FAQ:
"What about the music features of the Premiere system?
The music features of a Premiere player cannot be accessed once the player is paired with a Strato.
If the customer wishes to continue using the music capabilities of their Premiere system, you will
need to provide an un-paired Premiere player to access them."

Your Strato would play all downloaded movies. The Alto would only be triggered for playback when you select a movie from the GUI which is stored in the vault or needs to be inserted. That's my understanding. SJ

if this is the case, than i'm 100% in for the beta.

The new Switch does not do any scaling.

As you can see in the demo video, the TV is switching resolution when switching between Alto/Premier and the Strato. The TV flashes an input sync and resolution change from 4k to 1080p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01LhzSxCSbQ

That's correct. Note that the TV we happened to use for the video puts up its overlay when the resolution changes, but this behavior is display specific. The Samsung in my office and the Vizio in my bedroom both switch seamlessly, with just a few seconds of black screen. It's sometimes hard to know whether you chose a movie that was on the Premiere or the Strato.

I run the primary video from my Strato to my Lumagen Pro video processor and the hdmi Audio second output to my audio setup. This allows me to have separate audio features set for the Strato (e.g. Audio delay, surround mode, etc.). I only use this for our theater setup. Our other zone is a bit more straightforward. SJ

Do you have any outputs available on the Radiance Pro? One option is to run the Co-Star switch into the Radiance, and set it up with one output as a video-only output to the display, and the other as audio-only to your processor.

From reading the FAQ's, I won't be able to play music from my M700 using the new switch. If I want to combine all my movies using the new switch, how does Kaleidescape suggest handling playing music and scripts from my 3U? I guess an HDMI splitter off my M700 should work. Is this correct or is ther a better solution?

Are there plans to update the iPad app in order to see all content from Premiere and Strato while still being able to see music content?

John

Hi John,

When you pair a Premiere player like the M700, it is dedicated to that "paired" role, and can't be used for other purposes, unless you first go to the browser interface and un-pair it.

The recommended solution for this is to use a dedicated player for music. That can be any Premiere player. Do you use the onscreen display for music, or are you using a control system to select the music you play?

We recognize that this is a limitation, and in a perfect world we would route all the control commands and so on through the Strato to the Premiere player so that you could access the music features as well, but we had to balance things like this against delivering Co-Star in a timely way.

Jim, won't "content on the Alto" just be played through the Strato as the Alto is part of the Encore system network? Really, the Alto will only play from the vault (or an inserted disk) with the switch setup as you described? Thanks. SJ

Thanks for the correction, Mike obviously agrees (and HE would know!). I misunderstood info regarding Alto's content playback. I don't have an M700 dedicated to our Alto, all of my Vaults are attached to my Premiere system, so have not tested that yet.

Jim

Do you have any outputs available on the Radiance Pro? One option is to run the Co-Star switch into the Radiance, and set it up with one output as a video-only output to the display, and the other as audio-only to your processor.

I will try several options. The typical configuration for the Pro is to run all HDMI sources into it and then output video to the display and audio to an audio processor. In general, that's how I have had it in the past, but since the Strato (and other components like the Oppo 205) have two HDMI outputs (second primarily for audio), I send that as a separate input to my audio processor. The typical configuration (one output from the Pro to video and another for audio) gives you the SAME audio options for all sources input into the Pro. Even with the Alto (since it only has a single HDMI output), I am running the output of the Alto directly into my Audio system and then outputting from this system to the Pro (which then sends the video to my projector). This way just has given me additional flexibility on the audio side. Also let me experiment with some Dolby Atmos issues that I thought might be caused by the Pro. Anyway, I will try a few different setups when my switches arrive. I can also dedicate another audio output from the Pro for the Strato/Alto combo. All else fails, I will just go back to the normal setup although I might leave the Strato secondary audio connected and switch only for Alto. Do you know if you will update your control interface so that control systems can query the Strato to determine if a movie is playing from the Strato or Alto/Disk Server? Thanks. SJ

Thanks for the correction, Mike obviously agrees (and HE would know!). I misunderstood info regarding Alto's content playback. I don't have an M700 dedicated to our Alto, all of my Vaults are attached to my Premiere system, so have not tested that yet.

Jim

Yeah, people with current Stratos/DV700s (without an Alto for some reason), can still purchase a switch and an Alto to interface with their vault). Yeah, originally the Strato was suppose to work with a Disk Server. But people need to remember that Altos are not just players, they also have 6 TB of hard drive which can store a lot of HD movies across an Encore system. When I added my Altos, I deleted a lot of non-4K movies that I originally downloaded to my Stratos so that when I re downloaded, they would go to the Altos. Seems new customers could now use Strato/Alto/CoStar/Disk Server. This would give you a lot of storage and still enable access to a large disc collection without having to repurchase (and/or purchase larger storage like a Terra Server). Although if K keeps adding studios, maybe things will change... SJ

Hi John,

When you pair a Premiere player like the M700, it is dedicated to that "paired" role, and can't be used for other purposes, unless you first go to the browser interface and un-pair it.

The recommended solution for this is to use a dedicated player for music. That can be any Premiere player. Do you use the onscreen display for music, or are you using a control system to select the music you play?

We recognize that this is a limitation, and in a perfect world we would route all the control commands and so on through the Strato to the Premiere player so that you could access the music features as well, but we had to balance things like this against delivering Co-Star in a timely way.

Thanks Mike. I do use the OSD for music (and obviously for scripts). I understand the trade-offs on this development and I know I am in the minority these days.

Does the pairing/unpairing take a while to do or can it be done quickly?

John

Pairing/unpairing takes a few seconds via the browser interface. The challenge would be the HDMI connection, since it would still be going through the HDMI switch. When paired, the players coordinate with one another to ensure that one of them has an active video output and the other does not, so that the switch will select the proper player. When un-paired, they would not be doing that coordination.

I have a question on the browser interface and storage.... I have 1 x Strato and 5 x M players into multi-room system. Originally the idea was that all downloaded content would have to be transferred to the Encore storage. Therefore I have downloaded any HD or UHD content onto both systems. How will the new regime work? Do I need to transfer any content? If I upgrade only partially (i.e. leave one M player with just the Premier system), I assume I need to keep both the HD and UDH on the servers. Does the interface know I have both?

You don't need to move anything to the Strato. Here's how this will work.

Any Blu-ray quality and DVD quality downloads on your Premiere system are playable by all Premiere players, whether or not they are part of a Co-Star pair. If a Strato player is paired with a Premiere player, then the downloads that are on the Premiere system will appear in the Strato onscreen display. When you play one, Co-Star will switch to the Premiere player for playback.

So, you can delete the duplicate copies on Strato if you wish, to make more room for 4K.

Now, let's say that you have a Blu-ray quality movie on your Premiere system, and you also have the 4K version of that movie on Strato. When you're looking at your Strato onscreen display, you'll only see the 4K movie cover. You don't see the Blu-ray/DVD covers as well. If there are extras on the HD version that are not on the 4K version (fairly common), those extras are shown right on the UHD version's details sheet. If for some reason you wanted to specifically play the lower-resolution version, there's an Other Versions menu item that gives you access to them.

The combination of different versions under one cover also applies if you have duplicates on your two systems. For example, if you have the Blu-ray quality version of the movie on both systems, you'll just see one cover on the Strato. Strato always tries to play the best available version, and it does factor in locality into that decision. So, if you have the movie on both systems, Strato will choose the local copy to avoid the small delay from the Co-Star switch. So, you could leave copies on both systems if you wanted that faster playback. I deleted all the duplicates from my Strato at home because I wanted more space for 4K! :)

Now, what about buying new movies? You have some zones that have Strato, and some that don't. If you go buy a Blu-ray quality movie from the Movie Store, by default, it will be downloaded to your Premiere server, so that every zone (paired and un-paired) can play it. If you buy a 4K movie, the 4K version will be downloaded to Strato, and the Blu-ray quality version will be downloaded to the Premiere so that your un-paired zones can play it. You can de-select the Blu-ray quality version if you don't need/want it.

If you were to pair every zone, then you might want your downloads to go to Strato (or to a Terra if you had one). Maybe you want to save the remaining space on the Premiere system for disc imports, for example, or maybe you just only want Co-Star to switch to the Premiere player for disc-based content. There's a setting in the browser interface to send downloads to the Strato if you prefer. Also, if every player is paired, then when you buy a 4K movie, the Store will download just the 4K version by default (since you don't need the HD version for un-paired zones). You can always select the HD version as well.

Also, is there now a unified browser interface so that I know that I have both HD and UHD content without having to cross check against two open browser windows?
Not yet, but it's something we're looking at for the future.

* I should note that for the earliest beta users, the "other versions" behavior and combination under a single cover that I just described above is not yet in the beta software. You'll see duplicate covers for now if the same content exists on Strato and Premiere, but that feature is implemented and should be in the next software update.

Hi Mike,

Your PM quota is full and so could not respond to your PM. You will need to clear the existing ones before you can receive any new PMs.

Another quick question. Will the automation protocols be updated to reflect which player is playing the movie?

And hopefully orders. Just placed my strato/switch order today. I know the switches are limited right now, will give me time to download everything to the strato.

I know I'm in the minority, but if were throwing out wishes, could we get a 4k/HD quality to strato, and SD quality to premier?

My theater will have one of my C1's paired for 4k, HD, and all SD. Second C1 will remain on matrix and I would like to have all available SD quality on it as well.

Kevin D.

Hi Mike, Your PM quota is full and so could not respond to your PM. You will need to clear the existing ones before you can receive any new PMs.

Sorry about that. It's been a busy day for PMs. :) Please try again.

Mike - sorry about that, I've just manually upped your PM storage to 500.

As a reminder, registered (free) users have a fixed limit of 50 private messages stored on the server. Joining at any of the paid levels (Premium or Patron) increases the limit to 500 pm's (among other benefits, like the ability to forever edit one's own previous posts and listing items for sale).

I know I'm in the minority, but if were throwing out wishes, could we get a 4k/HD quality to strato, and SD quality to premier?
Appreciate the order and the request. So, to be clear, if you bought a movie that didn't have a 4K version, you'd want the Blu-ray quality version to go to Strato, and the DVD quality version to go to Cinema One? If you bought 4K, you'd want 4K to Strato, DVD quality to Cinema One?

Appreciate the order and the request. So, to be clear, if you bought a movie that didn't have a 4K version, you'd want the Blu-ray quality version to go to Strato, and the DVD quality version to go to Cinema One? If you bought 4K, you'd want 4K to Strato, DVD quality to Cinema One?

You are correct. Strato purchase is mainly do to lack of space on C1's.

Kevin D.

Back