• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kaleidescape Solution to Meld Physical Discs with Strato 4K Movie Player

Im glad Kaleidescape is doing something to integrate the systems and I am looking forward to learning more!

well dang some of this thread just disappointed me. I know more content is at the top of everyone's list here, but mine remains Vault + Strato integration. Is it a huge deal for me to switch UI's? No. But when people come over and say let me see X movie scene in 1080P, and then they say oh wait dont you have this UHD content? I have to explain to them "hold on i need to turn a different system on to show that content". Just hurts the "convenience" factor i hold so dearly with my K system.

proposed solution: if we dont get Vault + strato integration, a credit on our accounts to convert D2D would be nice... assuming we all have the extra memory readily available.

well dang some of this thread just disappointed me. I know more content is at the top of everyone's list here, but mine remains Vault + Strato integration. Is it a huge deal for me to switch UI's? No. But when people come over and say let me see X movie scene in 1080P, and then they say oh wait dont you have this UHD content? I have to explain to them "hold on i need to turn a different system on to show that content". Just hurts the "convenience" factor i hold so dearly with my K system.

At a minimum, we know the Alto works with a Vault for disc playback, so if for any reason the Strato/Vault integration doesn't materialize, you could always add an Alto to control that side of the content, and maintain Strato for UHD. The same integration being done now for Premiere/Encore could be modified to do the same for the Strato/Alto/Vault combo. That's a back up plan obviously. The main downside is the requirement to have an Alto in the system.

Jim

Last edited:
@ naylorman32 - good idea re D2D. And good point overall.. In my case, that point is for running both the Encore and Premiere systems. So I am happy with this, but I can see the issue if you have a Strato and Vault. Hopefully they will address this.

I'm one of those who was sold a vault/Strato combination on the basis that integration would come along in the 'near future' - in fact prior to the 'closedown' I was advised that I had been placed on a 'beta' programme to test the new integration.

Perhaps it would have been better Jim to adopt the Kscape methodology and say nothing at all rather than to suggest that "it may or may not happen" :). All that has done is stoke the fires of those with that combo, myself included. As far as I was lead to believe, this function was being worked on within Kscape. Wonder if, should there not be a solution, whether Kscape will offer to buy back these vaults, which were bought in good faith and on the basis that integration would happen.

I appreciate that no-one now should buy that combo, on the basis of the knowledge at hand - but at the time of purchase I was buying on the basis of best knowledge - and that was that an integration would be happening.

C'mon Kscape time to open up and tell us loyal customers what is actually happening with this combination.

You appear to be in the UK so I am curious, were you loaned/sold/offered an Alto by your dealer either as a long term loan or heavily discounted permanent solution? If not please let me know.

You appear to be in the UK so I am curious, were you loaned/sold/offered an Alto by your dealer either as a long term loan or heavily discounted permanent solution? If not please let me know.

I was loaned the Alto by my dealer, as a solution until the integration took place. They were/are clearly confident that it will take place.

I was loaned the Alto by my dealer, as a solution until the integration took place. They were/are clearly confident that it will take place.

It wasn't loaned to you by your dealer ;)

At least you have full functionality albeit a bit disjointed right now. Hopefully they will get the 2 units working together sooner rather than later.

Ah I see, oh well whoever it was, it's appreciated. Yes a little disjointed but at least it works.

Hooray for the UK distributor - fabulous customer service.

P.s. Hope you got the Strato issue sorted you had the other day. If not, ping me a PM and I'll jump right on it tomorrow.

Okay, now that this is in the public realm....and I'm receiving several calls and emails....it is true that the "solution" to integration of content from the two systems will consist of a "switch"

I would hope that those of us that use a video processor will have the option to avoid this "switch box" and simply use 2 inputs on the video processor and let the theatre automation system control which input is selected based on feedback from the Kscape player(s).

The fewer boxes and HDMI connections, the better the chances are that all works well ;)

Lots more detail in the FAQ and video. Working on getting those to you ASAP.
Hi Mike... how's that video and FAQ coming? Lots of us here REALLY eager to see those. If not coming soon, can you give an ETA?
Thanks as always!
-josh

What I would like is a system that can store and play back UHD discs and download UHD movies. Sounds like this might legally impossible?

While I would like the vault + local storage of 4K content as an option, I suspect the answer is don't hold your breath. I think the whole concept of pulling data off discs was a real sore spot for at least some of the content holders. Hence the download store.

While I would like the vault + local storage of 4K content as an option, I suspect the answer is don't hold your breath. I think the whole concept of pulling data off discs was a real sore spot for at least some of the content holders. Hence the download store.

I think so, and the vault /disc server is basically a nod to BD / DVD content, which I'm sure in time will eventually be dropped entirely.

Personally, as soon as a few more studios are added, and D2D expands to cover the 'last' 200 or so movies I still have to have in the vault, I'll be dropping it in favour of a terra.

Co-Star!

I recently had the opportunity to test the new C0-Star Switch Kit. I'll start by saying "THANK YOU!" to K's incredible engineers. The Kit comes with the Switch, HDMI cables (tested to 18Ghz), and power supply. Setup was VERY easy, did not affect my control system at all, and the Switch and new software worked as advertised.

Someone asked me on a scale of 1 to 10 what I thought of the Switch Kit, and it is easily a "10" in my opinion. No issues to this point, and I don't expect any.

If you own Premiere, and a Strato, this Switch will put a smile on your face, and if you don't yet own a Strato, now is the time to make the purchase!!

Jim

Back