• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movies Anywhere

I thought about this the other day. So when you buy a Disney movie or any movie in the K store are we waiving our digital rights? Do we have digital rights that should be transferable?

Interesting post.

No waiver of digital rights - they just don't exist on some titles. Ultraviolet titles allow viewing on platforms at other retailers that support that platform - Disney don't, Fox don't in K, but do in other retailers (no idea why!!).

Disney titles purchased at various retailers port to Movies Anywhere "as long as it's North America" to allow viewing on other platforms - K just isn't a participating partner.

Which is why MA is important for future survival of K. No way I am buying the same movies in multiple platforms with K being more expensive to boot.

I think when K is part of MA, they will start seeing more store purchases given the availability of store on Strato directly. I know I will probably purchase more due to impulse buys, at least 1 or 2 a week.

Right now, I have to verify whether the move is UV enabled in K or not before I buy depending on whether I would want to access the movie outside of K etc.. All that would go away if K was part of MA, except for paramount and Liosgate, which are yet to become part of MA. I am sure they will soon join MA, as most major studios are already part of it.

My biggest peeve right now with K is not having immersive audio on par with disks for many movies and second is not being part of MA. Resolve these two and I will keep adding more K devices and movie store purchases to my collection.

Everything someone else is added I think it looks good that we will get to Kaleidescape being added

I'm still crossing my fingers. Really ready for a K, but won't buy without MA. I'm hopeful for news for CEDIA.

Movies Anywhere is a double edged sword. It would give users a lot of content but there are some very low prices especially from Apple

What would be the impact of brining MA to K? Would it be a negative impact? It seems one benefit for users would be if you wanted a disc to at least have protection against anything negative that could happen you would get a nice disc and the MA code to have a copy on K also.

So for the same price as just a movie on K, you could have the UHD disc and the K store copy. Why would one choose to just go to K?

Chris... I don’t really know. But if I buy a movie I am “really into” getting the digital rights onto my Strato. ��

• Saves me a DV-700 purchase.
• Allows me to continue as a Disney Movies Club Member with the benefit of the discounted prices and discs as backups.
• Consolidated more of my movies into a single Library.

I can’t offer any advice but I voted, with my wallet, for Kaleidescape to be the future of my digital movie watching experience. I can only hope they have the ability to profit and the flexibility to trust Disney in a Movies Anywhere Digital Locker.

I really do hope someone from Kalediscape is on here.

I'm sure MA isn't easy to add. However, given my experience with products that everyone said would be around forever, I'm extremely leary of buying proprietary media. I know I am actively trying to avoid anything that isn't transferable to other platforms right now.

Some sort of statement from Kaleidescape would be really nice. I'm a new owner, and really do like my Strato, but I'm buying and enjoying it a lot less than I would if I felt comfortable buying more movies.

So far, a little disappointed overall.

I believe it is not in commercial interest of K to get on board with MA. Looking at the price point of K Movies and their target market of Yatchs etc...
If K adds MA then the $ 4.99 movie from iTunes will replace the $33.99 movie from K - and for K simply just the cost of downloading (bandwidth at K server) is is very high.
For K's target market who want the highest quality of movies - the convenience of a download - they don't care about the price or the long term value Movies Anywhere that does not matter.
Just my two cents.

I've thought the same thing. However, I'm just not buying movies from K as a result. I have bought movies from K that are UV compatible, however. Same theory. And if they do lose out on some revenue as a result, it's still better than my alternative (and I'm sure I can't be the only one). After all, some sales are better than no sales.

I don't know how the licensing agreements work, but I'd even be ok with a one-way MA transfer. I'd be happy buying from K (even though they are overpriced) if my purchase would at least transfer TO, even if not from, MA.

There is a simple alternative. If you purchase a title from MA or MA linked website, then to get the movie on KScape you are charged a small fee. If you purchase the movie on the KScape store then it transfers to MA for free.

I cannot see any down side to this. If I purchase a movie on Vudu with MA rights I would be willing to pay a small fee to have it's digital right added to KScape.

This would help cover any "download" charges.

Honestly, if I could get MA rights, I'd just buy the movie on Kscape's store to avoid the hassle. Until then I need the digital rights as I watch movies when travelling and cannot drag a Strato around with me...

There is a simple alternative. If you purchase a title from MA or MA linked website, then to get the movie on KScape you are charged a small fee. If you purchase the movie on the KScape store then it transfers to MA for free.

I cannot see any down side to this. If I purchase a movie on Vudu with MA rights I would be willing to pay a small fee to have it's digital right added to KScape.

This would help cover any "download" charges.

Honestly, if I could get MA rights, I'd just buy the movie on Kscape's store to avoid the hassle. Until then I need the digital rights as I watch movies when travelling and cannot drag a Strato around with me...

There are lots of options. I would prefer an option where K can sustain business over a longer period of time. I am not for the above option as it dilutes the MA proposition.

If I were deciding this, here is what I would do.
A. First remove the increased pricing compared to other online sites. Right now even if the movie costs the same, there is a $4 to $7 extra on K store.
B. Add a subscription for say $10 a month or $100 a year, which would contribute to download credits.
C. Each movie download requires the use of one download credit.
D. Enable MA. Movies bought from store adds one download credit to your account. If bought elsewhere no credits are added, though the movies are available for download through MA.
E. Let users purchase more download credits if needed. Create different plans for this purchase.
F. In case of disc failures or unit failures, download the movies directly from factory during replacement if under warranty. If not charge a discounted pricing for the download at factory service.

Using a subscription guarantees a minimum revenue for longer term survival of K. Adding download credit system takes care of MA purchases not from the store so K does not incur any loss. Most folks have one or two systems. So the most will be covered using the free download and subscription. Extra downloads will cost extra.

The other things K needs to work on priority is getting immersive audio and be on par with discs. Add more studios. Add day and date releases, which will let you view the movie on release date and also download it when they are digitally/disc released.

Finally, if possible, reduce the pricing of components to increase market penetration, but keep the components profitable. The more they sell, the more the subscription revenue and more the potential store and download credit profits.

I really hope K does not do something like that. It would be confusing for the average person and reduce the simplicity and intuitiveness of the K system. Likewise, Movies Anywhere should be "buy anywhere, play anywhere", without other stipulations. If you want to see K thrive then simply purchase from the K store.

It looks like Comcast/Xfinity is going live tomorrow. So one more provider checked off! Hopefully that means K is next.

Back