• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movies Anywhere

I hope they add support soon as new universal movies are now Movies Anywhere only, they no longer include UV support...

So titles like

Happy Death Day
The Snowman
Thank You for You’re Service

They will no longer port out or in...

At least in Vudu, some newer titles from Sony and WB titles seem to be supporting only MA and not UV.

So in effect, the following studios already are or seem to be going to MA exclusive without UV.

Disney, Fox (given that Disney bought it), WB, Sony.

The only holdouts seem to be Paramount and Lionsgate, which I believe is only a matter of time before they join MA as well.

I hope K joins the MA soon, otherwise it will be a content island. If there is one thing that can urge me to move out of K, it would be this. I do not like content islands given what happened to them couple of years ago.

When MA was launched, they said, they are working with MA team and the impression I got was that it was only a matter of time and resources before K was on board as well. Maybe Mike from K can provide some hint :) ?

“Only the Brave” from Sony has been added today.

Hope I am wrong but this must be the 1st Sony movie without UV rights... even in VUDU it’s only available with Movies Anywhere and not UV.

This is not a big issue for me personally as I buy +/- 90% of my movies from the K store. I nevertheless appreciate the possibility to download a movie from VUDU to my iPad when I travel.
Anyway, I hope that K will be able to find an agreement with Disney and bring us MA soon.

I think this will be an issue for Kaliedescape. I can see how the UV has a downside if someone purchased from someone other than the store. I also think people needed to feel like their purchased were protected. Perhaps they could find a way to have a one way door. If you purchased from the store you would get MA on other devices but not if you purchased elsewhere. I would be ok with that as opposed to no UV support.

Of course if day and date were to show up with MA this would solve all the issues as they would be able to sell the movie ahead of everyone and include MA support when it is released.

In the short term the lack of UV or MA support is causing issues. Do I buy it for viewing anywhere or at the best quality. It was nice to not have to choose.

MA is really the main blocking point for me not yet buying in (Lionsgate/Disney UHD are secondary). There's no way I'm re-buying 200 Disney movies and the other host of content I already have in my MA account in the K store. Thanks to VUDU and Apple and MA as well, I have a significant amount of UHD rights also in my MA.

VUDU managed to stay dual UV/MA. I would hope K can swing a similar deal.

I am sure K is working on it based on previous comments by K. I do not want any 1 way or weird MA deals. I want to be able to buy anywhere and use it anywhere similar to how it is right now when buying disks or buying online. I want parity with disks in terms of content and MA and I am sure that is the only way forward for a lot of folks. Many are holding off because of these 2 issues.

K is now onboard the early release thing. They need to get on board the same as disk audio encoding with early releases and inclusion in MA. If they get these two, then K has a bright future. If not, i don’t see long term feasibility, to put it bluntly.

I am rooting for K to get these two and start independent for a long time ��

Perhaps they could find a way to have a one way door. If you purchased from the store you would get MA on other devices but not if you purchased elsewhere. I would be ok with that as opposed to no UV support.

That would be a travesty. That's how we got into this digital rights mess to begin with, with things like Fox not supporting UV on K and similar things on other platforms and with other studios. Then everything became piecemeal and confusing for consumers. (e.g. I bought the movie here, but can I play it here or there? Where do I redeem my code? etc).

Movies Anywhere needs to absolutely be a simple and consumer friendly solution without studio and platform exceptions if it's going to succeed. You should be able to buy a movie anywhere and play it anywhere.

The issue here is cost. If you download a movie from the store there is a cost even if the content is included. VUDU, Google, Apple etc can easily absorb the cost of streaming without revenue. It will be harder for smaller companies to absorb this cost.

“Only the Brave” from Sony has been added today.

Hope I am wrong but this must be the 1st Sony movie without UV rights... even in VUDU it’s only available with Movies Anywhere and not UV.

This is not a big issue for me personally as I buy +/- 90% of my movies from the K store. I nevertheless appreciate the possibility to download a movie from VUDU to my iPad when I travel.
Anyway, I hope that K will be able to find an agreement with Disney and bring us MA soon.

I was wrong about "Only the Brave". It now has UV rights at the K store!

The issue here is cost. If you download a movie from the store there is a cost even if the content is included. VUDU, Google, Apple etc can easily absorb the cost of streaming without revenue. It will be harder for smaller companies to absorb this cost.

Yeah, that's true. Bandwidth is extremely cheap but 40-60GB downloads add up very quick. I would love to see K's CDN bill :)

Cost or not I do not support any weird implementation of MA. That will result in the same mess we are in right now before we know it. I want parity with disks. You get the best audio and video with rights to MA.

Streaming has its own costs as well. So I do not buy this argument that cost would be significant. If needed K can raise revenue by other means. As it is, we are paying significant premium over regular disks and still not at par with disks in many cases. I do not want K adding to it.

Moreover I think there is no point in negotiating with ourselves :). Let’s hope K does the right thing and gets full MA support soon.

As it is, we are paying significant premium over regular disks and still not at par with disks in many cases.

I just want to point something out that a lot of people seem to forget...

The reason movies cost more on the Kaleidescape store has a lot to do with the fact that you are purchasing 1 movie *BUT* with the rights to download/own it on 5 separate systems.

I just want to point something out that a lot of people seem to forget...

The reason movies cost more on the Kaleidescape store has a lot to do with the fact that you are purchasing 1 movie *BUT* with the rights to download/own it on 5 separate systems.

That's not a great justification. I can buy on iTunes and access on multiple devices. VUDU can authorize up to 8 IIRC.

That's not a great justification. I can buy on iTunes and access on multiple devices. VUDU can authorize up to 8 IIRC.

I'm sorry but I disagree. The only comparison would be a Blu-ray/UHD disc as it's the only match in quality. Therefore, can you purchase a disc and have it available in 5 locations at once? The answer is no. iTunes and VUDU (and all other streaming services) cannot compete with the video/audio quality of discs/Kaleidescape.

I'm sorry but I disagree. The only comparison would be a Blu-ray/UHD disc as it's the only match in quality. Therefore, can you purchase a disc and have it available in 5 locations at once? The answer is no. iTunes and VUDU (and all other streaming services) cannot compete with the video/audio quality of discs/Kaleidescape.

Personally, I want the Kaleidescape experience at home or a vacation property, however, I also want the convenience of streaming my movie collection while traveling between my home and vacation property. The only way this can be accomplished is for Kscape to join MA or provide their own streaming service for our owned content.

Personally, I want the Kaleidescape experience at home or a vacation property, however, I also want the convenience of streaming my movie collection while traveling between my home and vacation property. The only way this can be accomplished is for Kscape to join MA or provide their own streaming service for our owned content.

While streaming by K would partially be acceptable to me, I would prefer MA instead. After what happened in 2016, I would prefer to have an insurance in the form of being able to have the content outside of K ecosystem.

I want K to do well, but also need interoperability with others using MA, given that UV seems to be fading away.

There are rumors that FandangoNOW is joining MA soon. Let's hope Kaleidescape is also in this second wave of retailers.

It would be really great if K joins MA as that would open the floodgates of purchases from K store using the new store access from devices. Looking forward to MA addition. I have lots of Disney movies both within and outside K. It would be great to finally merge my library. There is no way I am rebuying the movies I already have.

Yeah it will be great when they add support will open up all Fox and Disney titles... also all universal movies going forward will be Movies Anywhere only no UV support...

Back