• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movies Anywhere

Other differences: right now, Movies Anywhere supports SD and HD, but not UHD.

This is somewhat true. The MA app itself does not currently support UHD. However, it will transfer UHD rights. For example, if you purchase a UHD movie at Vudu, it will transfer to other retailers in UHD.

Here's an excellent interview with the General Manager of Movies Anywhere. Great straightforward questions and answers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5pQtCO8d8

Got to say, this is very exciting! It's really amazing to see the holy grail of digital movies actually happening (buy a movie anywhere and play it anywhere). We're almost there, just need to add more studios and retailers, and it sounds like they're intent on making that happen.

I just hope this is easier to use than UV and Flixter and all the other annoying ones they had a few years ago...

I'm sure you all received the same message from Disney, but posting the "short" version here. It is the notice informing DMA account holders that Disney is ending DMA and provides the instructions for moving content to Movies Anywhere (not included in this post).

From Disney:

We’d like to notify you that the Disney Movies Anywhere service has changed and will be closing in the near future. For a limited time, you can continue to watch your movies through our website and apps, but you can no longer add new movies to your Disney Movies Anywhere Collection.

Starting today, our members can join and transfer their movie collection to a brand new service, Movies Anywhere. With Movies Anywhere, you can re-link to your digital providers, and bring together your movies from Disney, Fox, Sony Pictures, Universal, and Warner Bros.

The email then goes on to explain the content transfer process.

Jim

Hello all,

Yes, indeed, we’re absolutely aware of Movies Anywhere and have been following its development for some time. Because of how the technology is implemented, adding support for Movies Anywhere is not something we can do on our own. We require support from Movies Anywhere, and their focus for launch was understandably on the largest online retailers. We do plan to have support in the future, and we look forward to working with them.

In the meantime, UltraViolet continues to work just as it has. It’s worth noting that there are some differences between the two platforms. For example, some studios that support Movies Anywhere don’t support UltraViolet, and vice-versa. (Where they support both, generally your UltraViolet titles will also become Movies Anywhere titles.) Other differences: right now, Movies Anywhere supports SD and HD, but not UHD. It’s also US-only at this time.

We’ll have more to share at a later time.

Really hope this doesn't take long. I think this will be the gating factor for me buying into K.

I suspect some of reason K never got DMA or Fox UV is because MA was already pending.

With regards to UHD content rights, they are currently porting through MA (although sometimes with issues). WB titles I have in VUDU in UHD gave UHD rights in iTunes, for example. Folks buying Spider-Man Homecoming in UHD or redeeming codes are seeing that go through in UHD, too. It's been stated that UHD right transfer through, it's just the current MA viewing apps don't do UHD yet themselves.

I signed up for Movies Anywhere and linked my Vudu and Google Play Movies accounts. My content from Vudu (mostly all UV from K store purchases) appeared in my MA account pretty much instantaneously. Likewise, when I linked my GPM account, the content in my MA locker appeared in my GPM account immediately.

When I think back to the hoops that we had to jump through to get UV working, MA is a delight. I'm pretty excited about this.

We've confirmed that UV rights are being translated to MA content (via Vudu I assume) and thus K store purchases with UV rights become available on GPM or iTunes. But has anyone tried the reverse yet (i.e. purchasing a title on GPM or iTunes which would put it into your MA locker) to see if it gets translated into a UV right and becomes downloadable on the K store?

I just also signed up for MA, and linked my vudu and google accounts.
Wow - that was almost too easy!
All the UV titles in my K library showed up right away !
Can not wait until this is a two / three / four way street and all content is in all places!

(i.e. purchasing a title on GPM or iTunes which would put it into your MA locker) to see if it gets translated into a UV right and becomes downloadable on the K store?

I just bought a title in MA, it showed up in vudu and UV, waiting for it to be visible in K now..

I just bought a title in MA, it showed up in vudu and UV, waiting for it to be visible in K now..

What retailer did you buy the title from? Unless it was Vudu, you won't see it on K. UV rights will only transfer to K if you buy from a retailer that directly support UV.

I learned that the hard way to redeeming a code on MA, expecting it to transfer to Vudu and then K. Unfortunately it didn't make it's way to K.

Aha you are correct, I bought in Vudu,, and it was instantly in MA. So the other way around doesn't work?

Currently, it looks like the only way to get UV movies in MA is to purchase or redeem through VUDU.

I have redeemed the majority of my UV codes through VUDU and those show up in MA and UV. I had a few codes that I redeemed through a different UV provider, and VUDU did not copy those over to MA. My Kaleidescape purchases have also not been copied over to MA.

I didn't have any non-Disney MA movies, so I don't know if VUDU will copy from MA to UV, but I would assume not.

I am hoping that Kaleidescape will get MA support at least for Fox and Disney.

My movies are transferring just fine between iTunes and Kaleidescape (iTunes <-> Movies Anywhere <-> Vudu <-> UV <-> Kaleidescape), in both directions.

Some examples:

- I purchased Inception (WB) from iTunes in June 2014, and now have it in my Kaleidescape library
- I purchased Casper (Universal) from iTunes in October 2014, and now have it in my Kaleidescape library
- I purchased Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Sony) from iTunes in September 2015, and now have it in my Kaleidescape library
- I purchased Evan Almighty (Universal), Elf (WB), Matilda (Sony) from Kaleidescape in March 2016, and they transferred over to iTunes once I set up Movies Anywhere

I've never actually purchased anything from Vudu.

That was the result of a bug on the initial roll-out of MA. Vudu has confirmed that going forward only purchases from UV retailers will transfer to other UV retailers.

My movies are transferring just fine between iTunes and Kaleidescape (iTunes <-> Movies Anywhere <-> Vudu <-> UV <-> Kaleidescape), in both directions.

Some examples:

- I purchased Inception (WB) from iTunes in June 2014, and now have it in my Kaleidescape library
- I purchased Casper (Universal) from iTunes in October 2014, and now have it in my Kaleidescape library
- I purchased Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Sony) from iTunes in September 2015, and now have it in my Kaleidescape library
- I purchased Evan Almighty (Universal), Elf (WB), Matilda (Sony) from Kaleidescape in March 2016, and they transferred over to iTunes once I set up Movies Anywhere

I've never actually purchased anything from Vudu.

Wouldn't it be cool if it actually worked that way!

Back