• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movie Updates

Kostas, please check now. I believe you should have a no-charge download available for the UHD version of Azkaban. You may or may not see UHD versions available for Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets yet. There's some licensing complexity there but if they're not there yet they should be eventually.

All good Mike thanks a lot !

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Price (2009) UHD with DTS:X added

Available now in UHD as well(series completed)

I Am Legend (2012) now available in UHD with DTS-HD-Master 5.1

Now available in UHD with DTS-HD Master 5.1

Get Hard (2015)

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Sherlock Holmes: A Book of Shadows (2011)

The Hangover (2008) now available in UHD with DTS-HD Master 5.1

What’s with the recent UHD trend? What is it, 2016?
UHD is actually a seriously undervalued feature of K. There are a LOT of displays out there that don't do HDR very well, especially when we start talking about projectors. A UHD version is native 4K, 10 bit and already graded for 100 nits, the only thing it lacks is the HDR grading and BT2020 color. Since most displays have to tone map (to no standard) the HDR to around 100 nits (for projectors), this takes the guess work out of whether the display or outboard processor did it right. The real limit is the color, but the difference between 709 and P3 is rather small with the vast majority of content in a movie easily staying within 709 (it is extremely rare that most displays can even do P3 better yet 2020). So from an accuracy standpoint, the UHD versions are far closer to director's intent. But you got to love how FOMO kicks in hard with this stuff.

The Town (2010) now available in UHD with DTS-HD Master 5.1

UHD is actually a seriously undervalued feature of K. There are a LOT of displays out there that don't do HDR very well, especially when we start talking about projectors. A UHD version is native 4K, 10 bit and already graded for 100 nits, the only thing it lacks is the HDR grading and BT2020 color. Since most displays have to tone map (to no standard) the HDR to around 100 nits (for projectors), this takes the guess work out of whether the display or outboard processor did it right. The real limit is the color, but the difference between 709 and P3 is rather small with the vast majority of content in a movie easily staying within 709 (it is extremely rare that most displays can even do P3 better yet 2020). So from an accuracy standpoint, the UHD versions are far closer to director's intent. But you got to love how FOMO kicks in hard with this stuff.
Thanks Kris, I totally agree with this, to have access to the UHD SDR version is one of the great things about K. I've started downloading the UHD's instead of HDR when watching on my projector. I was grew tired of trying to tweak the HDR settings to get it looking right and the UHD looks fantastic.
I do think we should always get a HDR and UHD copy when possible from K but the UHD does look really good.

Tell you one thing, comparing the Exorcist 4K SDR to disc 4K HDR on my Sony Z9K is basically like watching a different movie. The HDR grade is so well done and don't get me started on the missing Atmos track.

Tell you one thing, comparing the Exorcist 4K SDR to disc 4K HDR on my Sony Z9K is basically like watching a different movie. The HDR grade is so well done and don't get me started on the missing Atmos track.
On a flat panel I would expect the difference to be pretty big, on a projector, not so much.

Would so love to see audio updates for Jurassic Park series, the Daniel Craig bond series, the fast and furious series, Bad Boys Series, and independence Day.
And don’t forget Bourne movies. I’d be so happy if they got the dtsX that the discs have

DTS-X isn't really a thing with HDR/UHD in the K-STORE, there is only a dozen or so out there and the bulk of them are the Harry Potter movies

DTS-X isn't really a thing with HDR/UHD in the K-STORE, there is only a dozen or so out there and the bulk of them are the Harry Potter movies
That makes sense. I'm noticing this a lot! Is there a reason for this? Do they not like that audio codex?

Back