• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape today announced the launch of a new product line called Encore

I did want to follow up on my previous post regarding my email to Mr. Srinivasan. I am pleased to report that he personally took the time to email me in response to my original email. He "regrets not sending out a note to our customers" and has reassured me that they are working on possible solutions, and hope to have "some good news for our installed base customers as well." Other portions of his email will remain private as they are unrelated to this thread. We are corresponding and I must say, he seems pleasant and sincere.

Here's hoping for some positive news, fairly soon.

Wayne

PS I believe my dealer remains ok.

Last edited:
If someone does not get along with Cheena they are difficult. He is one of the nicest people in our industry.

Last edited:
Agreed (although I think you meant "doesn't get along....").

Cheena's a professional and will do what's necessary to run his company effectively, but he remains very approachable and I can tell you from my many conversations with him that his focus has always been improving the customer experience.

Some may differ on how we get there, but in the end these are decisions made by K's leadership, people that have ALL of the facts regarding the company's position, resources, tech limitations, tech requirements, contract terms, etc., details we don't have access to.......and yet we persist in trying to tell K what they should be doing on our behalf, as if they didn't already know this, as if they never gave their existing client base a second thought, as if they consciously said "screw them" we're moving on. Does anyone really believe that??? It's nonsense, and I can say for certain that is not the way Cheena (and Mike M.) think, and certainly not how they view their customers. They're not ignoring us, they're working 18 hour days 7 days a week trying to move the company forward. As many have already pointed out, there's a lot of competition in the space, and K plans to be successful in that space, so let's give them the time to work all of this out and focus on the strategy that was chosen to move forward.

I personally believe we (Premiere owners) will be taken care of going forward, so for now, a little patience please.

Jim

Here are a couple things I expect to see based on prior experience with Kaleidescape.

1. An upgrade path for people to trade in old players and servers towards the Encore line if they choose to trade in the equipment. (note - the new servers are much cheaper per TB than the Premier so there will be a hit if you look at how much was spent on a 3U server and how much off you get on an Encore server).

2. That is it...

I assume you guys are aware of the fact that there is a vast secondary market for UV and DMA codes? I rarely pay more than $10 for any new release and the price is usually closer to $7-8.

This is a sincere question. is it legal to sell the UV code that comes with the disc.

Cheers

This is a sincere question. is it legal to sell the UV code that comes with the disc.

Cheers

It is a gray area. There have been no court rulings. The practical fact of the matter is that there is no way for anyone to know the origins of a particular code. That means there is no difference between getting a UV license by purchasing it from a conventional resellier (i.e. Vudu, Kaleidescape, M-Go), purchasing it from a code store or purchasing it with a disc.

If they do rule that it is illegal to resell the codes, they are not going to make much headway. They cannot really make it such that you cannot sell the codes and the disc together, else how would Wal-Mart be able to market the videos. If they allow one to sell the code with the disc, there is already a court precedent that allows one to sell the disc. Instead of buying the code for $8, you bought the code plus the disc for $18 and then sold the disc back to the seller for $10 so he just mails you the code and you mail him the net difference of $8.

It would of been nice if the Encore Strato players could of accessed both the Premiere and Encore Servers so as to have 1 player and 2 servers if Kaleidescape/Studios are concerned from a Sercurity POV. Would/Could be a compromise. Removed nice compromise as I just remebered the new line won't accept the new 4K UltraHD Blu-Ray discs to store on the server for those whom can't download them (due to internet restrictions, etc). NVM.

Last edited:
How's this for outside the box. Assuming there's legal issues that prevent a new encore player from streaming ripped content from a Premier server, since if there wasn't I don't see why they wouldn't have allowed this with the release. IE, what everyone has said: put an Encore where you need UHD, store UHD titles on Encore, have everything grouped together.

So again, assuming there's a license issue with that, why not have an Encore player/server just for the Premier line with an HDMI input? Separate systems, hell even separate store accounts. Just have it aware of content on a Premier server and be able to cue it up and switch to the HDMI input when required.

This could also allow for Disney downloads without opting in. Rip Disney discs to the Premier, download Disney movies to the Encore.

Kevin D.

I count movie guide updates as software support. If K suddenly stopped adding bookmarks for DVD and BR titles that I can only add via disc then would be a show stopper. However, based on the message that K will contine to support the Premiere Line I take this to mean support of the movie guide.

John

Are we really that far from this already? I don't make weekly comparative dumps of the missing bookmark list, but my 30k-foot view isn't seeing much headway being made, and have no way of knowing whether or not the few slipping off the list are titles intended for the store or being subsidized by another user. Although arguably, I could probably give the appearance of a fair bit of progress just by sending-in a list of volumes to consolidate into a single series' entry.

Ok here is another out-of-the-box idea- what about Crestron? Could a Crestron system pull titles from both systems in to one pool of movie titles, switching inputs to play the movie as selected, somewhat seamlessly integrating downloaded content on the Encore with titles unavailable in the store, but copied to the premiere system? I posted this on the other thread, wanted to get as many thoughts from people who are familiar with Crestron systems by posting it here too.

Ok here is another out-of-the-box idea- what about Crestron? Could a Crestron system pull titles from both systems in to one pool of movie titles, switching inputs to play the movie as selected, somewhat seamlessly integrating downloaded content on the Encore with titles unavailable in the store, but copied to the premiere system? I posted this on the other thread, wanted to get as many thoughts from people who are familiar with Crestron systems by posting it here too.

I just answered on the other thread. I'm pretty sure you could do this with the network interface Premiere has, so if Encore has the same interface then I'm guessing you can.

The result wouldn't be NEARLY as nice as what K could do in the App, I don't think. But if you did it in the app then you'd STILL need a middleman server like Crestron or Indigo, too.

The *best* answer would still be one K player that sees both systems. If it were me, I'd wait a bit to see if that is still possible. K may have said hosting 4K content on Premiere isn't possible and they've said that Encore can't see Premiere NOW, but they haven't ruled out future integration possibilities. They've just stated what you'd have to do RIGHT NOW to get both. There's still hope.

--Donnie

Actually, you can't use Crestron to pull that information in. Crestron uses the IP address to control the players and only displays the Movie being played. There is no way to query the complete listing in the K and read it into the Crestron Controller and further to combine that data with a different pull from a different K system. The module that comes in SIMPL (Crestro's programming language) for K, only does what the existing remote does which is merely provide transport capabilities. It does not connect to nor communicate with the server at all.

It's not just the module. K provides no API (into the server) to access that data directly. You can export the list then import it into some setup but it's not an automated process. When K does, then it will be possible.

So how does Remotescape (and the K iPad app) do it? They show all movies in your collection along with all the cover art. You would think that if they could do it anyone should be able to.

John

You would think that if they could do it anyone should be able to.

John

You would think right! K, I'm sure, shares that API internally. Remotescape was developed by two former K employees (one a founder) who just might have more inside knowledge than the public. I'm guessing. 😀 The remotescape app hasn't been updated in years

Back