• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape today announced the launch of a new product line called Encore

Yetis

SUNNYVALE, Calif., Oct. 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Kaleidescape, Inc., the leading manufacturer of premium movie players and servers, today announced the launch of a new product line called Encore. The centerpiece of Encore is the Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player, the world's first 4K Ultra HD high-dynamic-range movie player for the home. Strato renders movies in the most stunning video and audio qualityavailable.

Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player is the world's first 4K Ultra HD high-dynamic-range movie player for the home. Each movie is downloaded from the Kaleidescape Movie Store and stored on a local hard drive-either on a Strato, or on a Terra Movie Server. Strato plays back the movie in full 4K Ultra HD, at up to 60 frames per second, without the startup delays, buffering messages, or quality drops that are so common with streaming services. Strato supports lossless multichannel audio, and is capable of playing HDR content on televisions and projectors that can process open standard 10-bit HDMI(R) 2.0a HDR.

The Encore line also includes the Kaleidescape Alto Movie Player, a new movie server named Terra, and a disc server that makes it easy to select and play DVDs and Blu-ray discs on a Strato or Alto movie player.

Strato is designed to provide an immersive home-cinema experience, with playback quality that matches or surpasses that of commercial theaters. Each movie is downloaded and stored on a local hard drive—either on a Strato, or on a Terra Movie Server. Strato plays back the movie in full 4K Ultra HD, at up to 60 frames per second, without the startup delays, buffering messages, or quality drops that are so common with streaming services. Strato supports lossless multichannel audio, and is capable of playing HDR content on televisions and projectors that can process open standard 10-bit HDMI® 2.0a HDR. The Strato onscreen user interface is also displayed in full 4K Ultra HD, at 60 frames per second, resulting in fluid animation and a stunning visual impact.

Strato can be purchased with or without an internal 6 TB hard drive that can store up to 100 4K Ultra HD movies, 150 Blu-ray quality movies, or 900 DVD quality movies. Strato equipped with an internal hard drive can be used standalone or in a system comprised of other Encore components. The Strato without internal storage plays back from a movie server.

The company also announced two new models of the Kaleidescape Alto Movie Player. One comes with a 6 TB internal hard drive; the other has no internal movie storage and plays back from a movie server. Alto plays Blu-ray and DVD quality movies downloaded from the Kaleidescape Movie Store. It can also play Blu-ray discs and DVDs via its built-in Blu-ray drive or from a Kaleidescape Disc Server.

The Kaleidescape Terra Movie Server stores movies and serves them to players on the home network. Terra also provides computing and caching services that enhance the performance of Strato and Alto movie players, and enables system configurations with up to 50 players. The Terra Movie Server can simultaneously stream 4K movies to up to seven Strato players, or Blu-ray quality movies to up to 15 players (Strato or Alto).

"I've long argued that streaming offers immediacy and convenience, but the Internet can't deliver a reliable high-bitrate content stream, such as 4K, unless it is heavily compressed," said industry analyst Dan Rayburn, Principal Analyst at Frost & Sullivan. "Kaleidescape's model of downloading and playing back from a local hard drive is the only way to get Internet-delivered content to match a 4K disc experience. Many of the service providers touting 4K content are capping their streaming bitrates at 16 Mbps. So, naturally, Strato's local playback—with bitrates up to 100 Mbps—will deliver better picture and sound quality," he added.

"For people like me, who are into home cinema, Kaleidescape's 4K movie player is the only option," said Michael Hunkapiller, a long-time Kaleidescape customer. "What is exciting about this announcement is that I get to enjoy all the benefits of the Kaleidescape experience, while continuing to keep up with the state-of-the-art audio and video technologies, such as 4K Ultra HD, HDR, and Dolby Atmos. Whenever available, I choose to purchase movies from the Kaleidescape Movie Store, instead of on discs. The store offers the same pristine quality, coupled with the convenience of Internet delivery. I use the Kaleidescape Disc Server for movies I can't find anywhere but on disc. This is the ultimate movie-lover's dream."

Additional facts about the new products:

Multiple Kaleidescape Encore products function as one system—sharing content. The onscreen user interface aggregates and displays these shared movies as a unified collection. This feature has been the hallmark of Kaleidescape since the company's inception. Users can browse their collections by title, genre, actor, director, and other criteria.
Kaleidescape Strato is a vendor-neutral 4K media source, meaning that it works with any 4K television or projector that supports HDMI 2.0 or 2.0a, and provides access to thousands of movies from major Hollywood motion-picture studios via the Kaleidescape Movie Store.
"We are very proud to introduce our new Encore line of movie players and servers, which provides the industry's finest sound and picture quality, and the most entertaining and convenient way to experience your movies at home," said Cheena Srinivasan, Kaleidescape co-founder and CEO. "Our new Strato movie player provides the most authentic home-cinema experience. Our new Terra product is Kaleidescape's third-generation movie server; it incorporates everything we learned from the first two generations. These new products are supported by the release of our new movie store, which is more attractive and easier to navigate than ever before. To date, Kaleidescape has licensed over 11,000 movies and 1,500 television seasons for our movie store. We also provide a way for you to seamlessly integrate your DVDs and Blu-ray discs with the content you download from our movie store."

Kaleidescape Alto and the Kaleidescape Disc Server are available now. Kaleidescape Terra will be available in November. Kaleidescape Strato will be available in the United States, Canada, and U.K. in early Q1, 2016. In the United States and Canada, the Strato MSRP will be $4,495 for the model with an internal 6 TB hard drive, and $3,495 for the model with no internal movie storage.

Well...

That price slays me. I really thought they would go for a price point that would help to significantly broaden their user base. A make less on the device, but make more in sales from the store model. Plus a $1,000 up charge for a $250 hard drive is hard to take too. I assume this means the Terra will start at several thousand as well.

The new device itself looks great. I like that they went all in for HDMI 2.0a HDR right out of the gate and a 6TB drive. They are making a statement on the specs. The UI running at native UHD is nice too. The other new UHD boxes are all dropping back to 1080p UIs, mostly cause they lack HDMI 2.0/2.0a so they'd have to run UI at UHD/30 which would not be as fluid.

It's interesting that there's no UHD disc drive on the unit or mentioned. I wonder if this means they are moving past discs entirely. That's a bold move given their legacy/history of disc integration.

No press releases on new content for the store yet though it seems? No new studios and no mention of DMA. Was hoping to see content news along with hardware.

The timing of shipping the Strato in Q1 is interesting. That aligns with the expected availability of UHD Blu-ray. Makes me think that their UHD store will contain downloadable UHD disc assets, like the content now is BD disc assets. Otherwise, if they were sourcing some different format of bits, they could have shipped the whole thing for this holiday. No mention of Vidity either.

Can someone in the know find out the dollars involved in the migration from an Alto to the Strato?

AAARRGGHHH!!! Ok so I can't integrate my 3U with its ability to rip disks- but they haven't announced any new studios for the Kaleidescape store- really?!? I'll rebuy if I can download everything- if I can't this really doesn't accomplish anything but irritate me with disk load times in a disk changer!

Not the announcement that I was looking for. Not at all. It leaves us with more questions than it gives answers.

1. It seems that this line will not be compatible with the Premier Line. Not at all?
2. Will the Premier Line have access to 6T drives?
3. Is there going to be any kind of support or new products for the Premier Line going forward?
4. Is the Premier Line effectively dead and we need to purchase a whole new system?
5. Will the Bluray Alto function with the Encore Line?
6. What is the price of the Alto with the new 6T drive?
7. How many drives will the Terra hold and will we be able to upgrade drives as new, higher capacity drives become available in the future?
8. How much is the Terra going to cost and what will the configuration be?
9. Can multiple Terras be used in one large system?
10. Can we at least use the Terra with the Premier Line?
11. If we switched over to the Encore Line, what happens to all the movies that we have that we can't get at the store? Even if I upgraded every movie I own to the Standard or Bluray def from the store, I would still have 700 or 800 movies less than I do now. Because of studios that aren't yet available. Are we just out of luck?
12. On the Encore line it is obviously not possible to import movies, but what about home movies? I still enjoy having some of the videos of my kids on the Kaleidescape to make them easier to show. Is that just never going to be possible from the Encore line?
13. Is there going to be any kind of trade in or upgrade (since the Premier Line is done for, I guess I'm calling it an upgrade to the lesser Encore line) promotions for our Premier equipment to the Encore Line?
14. As the store updates and we move to the Encore line, are the purchases we make in the store still going to be available for up to 5 systems, even if that is 5 Encore systems?
15. Do our dealers have any more info that they can release?
16. Are there going to be ANY new studios on the horizon? I mean, if we have to downgrade our systems, I'd like to know that I will still have access to most of the movies that I own.
17. Any chance that Disney will finally let us buy their films on the store and let that unlock the movie on the DMA account? Are we at least pushing for this?

I'm sure that I'm forgetting some really important questions, but I'm just in shock right now that I've shelled out the money for two 3U systems and there seems to be no more support for them. The Premier Line is supposed to be the top of the line. Yet that is being ignored for a new lesser line. And I understand that businesses need to do what it takes to stay alive, especially after the big lawsuit. But this is particularly tough because the owner base who has stuck with the company and spent the majority of money on the products is being left behind. Tell me there is something coming to appeal to that customer base. Is there anyone at Cedia that can see and touch these things and ask some questions? I would love to hear some good news for Premier People. It's been a few years since we've had anything come out for us other than the studios we have.

This is a great list of questions. Thank you for putting it together. Hopefully someone at CEDIA can track down a K rep and get answers to all of these. I really hope there is a good answer to some of these...

Pretty complete set of questions that need answering. I am really concerned that there are no new studios announced. I am hoping that there is another announcement coming. We need the rest of the major studios added to the store for this to work in any way at all resembling the convenience of the premiere line.

Jim (Cinelife) are you around? I would be very interested in hearing your take on this and if you have any information on what this may mean for the Premier Line.

How disappointing. The new 6TB Alto has increased in price to $3,295. I'd been waiting for this announcement and if it had been at the same price point ($2,499) or lower than the previous model, I probably would've purchased one.

Seriously? An extra 2TB increases the cost by $800? I really thought K would be getting prices down and wanting to reach a wider market.

Honestly if you haven't gotten in to the K ecosystem yet, and aren't concerned about support for things like DVD ripping, bluray ripping, and are about to buy in new, wait and get their 4K player with the hard drive- the Stratos or whatever it's called. It does look amazing, I just wish they would let us existing customers carry over our DVD and bluray rips even if it means we can't import any more disks going forward.

So, John Sciacca did a nice write up about the new Encore system. You can find it here: http://t.co/X8MBeuOHOj Hopefully that link works as I am completely illiterate when it comes to doing that stuff. If not, I found it on twitter and maybe someone else can post a link that fits.

Anyway, the article answers a couple of my questions. It has prices on the Terra, the Strato, and the new Alto players (those bumped up in price by $800). The Terra will basically be configured with either 2 or 4 drives and cost either $5,995 or $7,995. The question remains as to whether that will be upgradeable by the end user by opening the unit and it also doesn't mention whether there is any RAID support which I find to be very important and I think every other Premier owner finds important too. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear this Premier news that is supposed to be forthcoming. I hope when they say coming soon, they mean tomorrow and not next July which seems to be the current trend. Jim, you are my ultimate guru of all things Kaleidescape, yet you have been conspicuously quiet to these feeds. Do you have any wisdom you can add?

A couple of things I learned to while talking with a kscape engineer.

1) They do not plan an upgrade path from Premier to Encore. They are recommending you keep the Premier and operate it along side you Encore solution.
2) The disc server is different than the disk vault. The discs stored in the disc server are not ripped to the Terra server, but instead or played directly from the disc server. Therefor you can play ONLY one title at a time for discs in the disc server.
3) The Terra server does NOT have any protection (e.g. if you lose a drive, while the content on the other drives will not be impacted, the content on the failed drive must be re-downloaded (will be done automatically is my understanding), but at 50 or even 100 mbits downloading will take ~ 7 days with assuming full throughput at 100 mbits). My comment to them is this is totally unrealistic.
4) I was surprised they are only running a single 1gb Ethernet connection for the Terra Server.

Overall was impressed with the product, but in my opinion they have taken a few steps back, especially with no protection against data loss on the Terra Server.

Bryan

A couple of things I learned to while talking with a kscape engineer.

1) They do not plan an upgrade path from Premier to Encore. They are recommending you keep the Premier and operate it along side you Encore solution.

Bryan

So they basically admitted that there is no plan to add a 4K player to the Premiere Line? That in order to get 4K I have to add an Encore component?

I am hoping you are intrepting this wrong.

Anyone else have any insight on this?

John

Wait a sec- existing disk vaults- those that are out now- those can become the "disk servers" in the encore line, right? They aren't going to make people rebuy a disk vault if they want to move to the encore line are they?

Wait a sec- existing disk vaults- those that are out now- those can become the "disk servers" in the encore line, right? They aren't going to make people rebuy a disk vault if they want to move to the encore line are they?

Correct. The DV700 that is in use today will become the Disk Server when grouped with an Encore line system.

To answer some of the other questions in this thread:

Players and servers in the Encore line are not compatible with players and servers in the Premiere line.

Multiple Terra servers can be grouped together in the way that current 1U, 3U, and 5U servers in the Premiere line can.

Alto can be grouped with the Terra server. However, they will not be able to play 4k Ultra HD content.

J green,

So is this the plan? Is the long term plan that if we (premier owners), want 4k, we transition to encore?

It is! I would imagine that K realizes that kicking the Premier customers to the curb won't instill a lot of confidence in people to invest into their Encore line.

Full disclosure here. I'm an Engineering guy. I can answer technical question about things the way that they are now. I can't speak to future plans or products. As an owner of a Premiere line system myself I completely understand all of the questions and concerns that are being raised in this and other threads but, unfortunately, I am just not able to address those concerns. What I can do is answer questions about the current products.

John

Full disclosure here. I'm an Engineering guy. I can answer technical question about things the way that they are now. I can't speak to future plans or products. As an owner of a Premiere line system myself I completely understand all of the questions and concerns that are being raised in this and other threads but, unfortunately, I am just not able to address those concerns. What I can do is answer questions about the current products.

John

John,

Thank you for participating on Kscapeowers.com, it's a rare thing that these sites get real time technical support. I think we are all appreciate the support and look forward to whatever else K has in store.

Chris J

Back