• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape today announced the launch of a new product line called Encore

Wait a sec- existing disk vaults- those that are out now- those can become the "disk servers" in the encore line, right? They aren't going to make people rebuy a disk vault if they want to move to the encore line are they?

It is my understanding after two separate conversations that no premier line components can be re-used in an Encore system. That includes the DV-700. What I was told is they had to make some fundamental architectural changes to get the movie industry to give them 4K content access.

Bryan

This was my fear that there was something more du to the movie industry. Not sure why they could not just make 4K content only available for download to a premiere system or just do what they do for blue ray.

It is my understanding after two separate conversations that no premier line components can be re-used in an Encore system. That includes the DV-700. What I was told is they had to make some fundamental architectural changes to get the movie industry to give them 4K content access.

Bryan

I assure you that the DV-700 can be used with the Encore line (as the "Disc Server"). Remember that this vault is only being used for DVDs and Blu-ray Discs, not 4k content (which will be downloaded from the store) so the architectural changes do not come in to play here.

J. Green - you guys realize that the Encore line is a big "fail" if you don't get more studios in to the store, right? .... Right??

I stand corrected the DV-700 can be used with the Encore, but when connected to the Encore no disk ripping to the Terra server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen no mention of the Terra server being compatible with the 2nd Gen Cinema One for storage expansion. Is it compatible? There were a lot of Cinema Ones sold right before the import capability was disallowed and the Alto was introduced, but since the Cinema One can't be combined with an Alto to add storage, I'm really hoping the Terra server is compatible.

I've seen no mention of the Terra server being compatible with the 2nd Gen Cinema One for storage expansion. Is it compatible? There were a lot of Cinema Ones sold right before the import capability was disallowed and the Alto was introduced, but since the Cinema One can't be combined with an Alto to add storage, I'm really hoping the Terra server is compatible.

As an owner of two Cinema Ones, I would really like to know the answer to this.

I am hoping that it will work, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I would guess that no system will support both DVD importing and 4K downloads.

If they're not supported, I hope that K will offer some kind of trade in program. Unfortunately, the C1 is stuck in no-man's land. It's not really a premiere line system and not really an encore line system.

Agreed. All it's doing is cutting down on sales by not being able to purchase additional content from the store due to lack of storage. I'd rather spend $2K on movies than $4K (no pun intended) on different hardware. Gets kind of old to delete movies just to free up space and not have your entire library available at all times.

J. Green - you guys realize that the Encore line is a big "fail" if you don't get more studios in to the store, right? .... Right??

This. This. This. By knocking off the disc drive, the store has to be complete. It has to have as much content as iTunes or VUDU. Otherwise, one would still buy a disc player with K at which time K loses because of the 10x cost increase. If the store does not grow considerably, it makes me wonder why do I want this $4,500 player for a subset of content when I also already will have this $500 player that plays everything.

Gets kind of old to delete movies just to free up space and not have your entire library available at all times.

With 6TB being 100+ movies, that's enough for me. If you can afford and want K, you probably have 100 Mbps internet or better. 100+ is a lot of movies and the system software should smartly manage it by autoremoving the oldest content first or allowing you to protect movies from auto delete so your favorite content is always present.

The Cinema One (2nd Generation) cannot be grouped with the Terra Server. Only Alto and Strato players can be grouped with the Terra Server.

The Cinema One (2nd Generation) cannot be grouped with the Terra Server. Only Alto and Strato players can be grouped with the Terra Server.

What about the 1st gen Alto? Is that part of the Encore line and will it work with the Terra server?

With 6TB being 100+ movies, that's enough for me. If you can afford and want K, you probably have 100 Mbps internet or better. 100+ is a lot of movies and the system software should smartly manage it by autoremoving the oldest content first or allowing you to protect movies from auto delete so your favorite content is always present.

Not at all the way I would interpret it.

First, 100mbps Internet speed is more of a function of how fast it is available where you live, not how wealthy you are. If you are a wealthy farmer but live 15 miles out of town, you are not likely to have a fast Internet connection speed. I have a fairly large business but we are in the country and the best speed I can get is roughly 1mbps. The houses in this area are stuck at that same speed.

Second, 100 movies is not really a lot - especially if you have a family that is dividing content. Game of Thrones type content for me, Twilight type stuff for my oldest daughter, chick flicks for my wife, Narnia films for my middle daughter and then the disney fare for my toddler and we each have a much more limited selection. My existing Premier line is 60TB after covering RAID and is 99% full. I might be able to pare down my content, but I am not going to be able to reduce it 90% without having a lot of disappointment.

Having to reload content effectively makes it no longer what it was - everything on tap. Instead, it becomes a glorified 100 disc carousel content wise and just has less lag time to switch between titles, but way slower to add a new title.

Putting the Encore side by side with the Premier is saying "This won't do everything, buy another system." That can be met with, OK, maybe I should buy the Sony/Amazon/Apple/any other brand in the world one for a lot less money. The convenience is gone when you have to sort through two different movie libraries from two different devices. Even if they were cataloged on the same device, to be told "to play this movie, please switch over to another input" really takes away from the elegance and the idea that a kid can use the system.

I have had a Kaleidescape system since 2003, so 12 years on and not once have I ever knocked the product publicly or privately. I am also a dealer and a huge proponent of it, but if the Encore and 4K is excluded from the Premier line, this entire thing is a dead end product for me. That would really suck for me, as I have three complete discrete legacy systems, the largest of which has two 3U servers, six M-class players and a couple vaults. That won't migrate into the Encore line and I won't run two systems side by side - that is just silly. After all, I don't have a Blu-ray player for Blu-rays, a separate DVD player for DVDs and then a CD player for CD content in any system in my home. To do that with Kaleidescape would be crazy.

I don't think they could be so shortsighted as to exclude 4k from the Premier line. I expect it to be rolled out when they have the 4K disc based content hit the market and then we will see 4K variants of the M300, M500 and M700 players. The 4K store isn't going to roll out until Q4 anyway so we will probably get that too, at least those of us in the USA will.

No Terra server compatibility with Cinema One, but there will be an upgrade path offered. Got this from someone at CEDIA.

First, 100mbps Internet speed is more of a function of how fast it is available where you live, not how wealthy you are. If you are a wealthy farmer but live 15 miles out of town, you are not likely to have a fast Internet connection speed. I have a fairly large business but we are in the country and the best speed I can get is roughly 1mbps. The houses in this area are stuck at that same speed.

So your interest in K is firmly set on the older model of importing discs or maintaining disc carousels then I presume? High speed internet is going to be an implied prerequisite it seems in their new direction. 1mbps internet takes 4+ days just to download a BD quality movie by my quick calculation.

Having to reload content effectively makes it no longer what it was - everything on tap. Instead, it becomes a glorified 100 disc carousel content wise and just has less lag time to switch between titles, but way slower to add a new title.

This model is going to be it for many I think. You are right that space could get taken quickly with multiple people. I have 2 kids (5 and 2 YO) plus my wife and I. We tend to watch movies together with our current logistics. Nominally one to three a week without really repeat viewing. For me, I'd be happy with just the 6TB and some automatic smart content management.

I'm on ~90 Mbps Comcast though too, so I can download a new Blu-ray quality movie in just over an hour. Very easy for us at dinner time to pick up movie, queue it up, and have it be ready for early evening.

I have not bought into K yet myself. Thought about it with the Alto, but was waiting to see their UHD move. I was really hoping they would go for the broader market on a lower cost device with UHD less than the Alto. I need to really think about the value of a $4,500 box.

Kaleidescape needs to address the issue with whether their premiere systems will be upgradable to 4K through the store or not now. There is no reason for them to wait. The existing premiere system owners are loyal customers who just want to know if their systems are going to be brought up to speed on 4K or not.

By telling an existing premiere system customer "We have a solution for 4K coming for you guys- we are going to be making 4K versions of the M300 and M500 players that will only play 4K downloaded from the Kaleidescape store, but it won't be out for six or so months," they are not losing any sort of competitive advantage against another company, nor are they revealing product prematurely. They are showing appreciation for their many premiere system customs are their biggest evangelists.

No brand-new customer to K can import DVD and the cheaper price of the Stratos, Terra and Alto components really make the Premiere system look like less of a value of the K store is going to have the remaining major publishers, which I assume it will.

I will also continue to be a vocal customer in the market by being able to say that K, in general, is future proof. The investment K requires at any level is significant and people want to know they are not buying something that will be obsolete soon.

This "stay tuned" attitude by K on this is garbage and does nothing good for them as a company, only irritates their existing loyal customers. If I know that 4K is coming I will continue to upgrade my premiere system and continue to feel good about my investment in K.

Kaleidescape- we deserve answers. Tell us if our premiere systems will be able to support 4K viewing of 4K content downloaded from the Kaleidescape store. You don't need to say if UHD bluray will be supported if licensing talks are ongoing, but we do deserve to know if we will ever be able to view 4K on our premiere systems with the purchase of new equipment designed for the premiere system.

I find it impossible to believe that K will just sit there in silence. Right or wrong, the silence is slightly reassuring. To dismiss with "stay tuned" and then go silent without a statement seems almost impossible. Certainly crushing what goodwill they have established with customers. Perhaps an effort to focus media on the new product. I would speculate that worse case, there is an upgrade / exchange program.

I agree. We just need to know if it is coming ever or not. I don't need 4K today but to know I need a whole new platform when I want it would suck.

As per my previous post.... As every day goes by and the silence remains it becomes more and more obvious that the sun is setting on the Premier Line and the support for the ability handle physical media. I love my systems but will not be adding yet another proprietory one to the mix. With no clear upgrade and growth strategy for the current customer base then the end comes closer every day.

Back