• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape today announced the launch of a new product line called Encore

Hello everyone.

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Kobb, and I'm Director of User Experience here at Kaleidescape.

Cheena has asked me to de-lurk and maintain a public presence here on the forum.

Hopefully by now you've seen the FAQ that was posted in a separate thread, and that hopefully answers some of the questions you have raised regarding our new Encore product line. If you have questions not addressed by the FAQ, please feel free to ask here, or in that thread. I will answer if I can.

Please understand that there will be some questions I'm not at liberty to answer, either because they involve contractual matters, or because they involve privileged/secret information. But, I'll do the best I can.

I also know that some of you have engineering and/or technology backgrounds, and I would ask you to remember that all of the requirements and constraints that go into a product design are not always visible from the outside. Things that a reasonable person might imagine are "obvious" and should "just" be done are not always possible. As frustrating as it will be for all of us, I may not be able to go into detail as to why.

I'm sorry that we did a poor job of communicating to you during the Encore launch. I aim to do what I can to make up for that. I'm excited to be able to take on a more public role here with some of our most knowledgeable users, and to open what I hope will be a fruitful communication channel to better understand how you use your Kaleidescape systems, what works well for you, and where we have opportunities to improve.

It's a very busy time here, and I may sometimes not be able to answer questions right away, but I will be doing my best to respond as soon as possible.

Mike Kobb
Director, User Experience
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Excellent to see you on board here, Mike. Welcome. This should be very positive for all.

Wayne

Hi Mike,
Welcome! Thank you and to Cheena for getting involved. The FAQ goes a long way to answering questions.

I think you can see many of us have a real passion for Kaleidescape so we hope you continue to succeed.

Great to have participation from Kaleidescape on this forum! Welcome Mike.

John

Mike,

Great to have you on board. Always a real resource.

So now that we have you, let's get cracking!:D

How should we think about how K will integrate a system that includes a premier and Encore server? Will we be able to have integrated libraries and a message telling us to switch inputs? This assumes we never get a player that can access both servers.

Perhaps one that is near and dear to my heart. Any way we ever see a more upscale music offering on K? We all likely have music systems, but if K had a real HQ offering with digital outt and potentially integrated with Roon?

Thank you
Chris

Is Remotescape still working for you guys? It stopped working for me... :(

Works for me, although I haven't tried the volume control feature recently...

Remotescape is still available in the App store but the link to the Developer Support does not work. Without the Installer portal available I won't be able to reconfigure the volume control buttons. Which is a shame, I like the way they did that, it worked very well. I wish volume control in the Kaleidescape App for iPad worked the same way.

Actually, now that I have checked. Remotescape is misbehaving. My entire movie library is missing inside Remotescape. The music library is there, just no movies in list or coverart view.

Edit: Remotescape website back to life today.

Last edited:
My question for Mike is...

As an early adopter of everything Kaleidescape for 6 or 7 years now I find myself not being able to adopt any more. Reason being, the Kaleidescape store will never work for me, and thus the new hardware that relies exclusively on the Kaleidescape store content is not an option.

Will the day likely ever come (say, in the next year), that Kalediescape can sell me a 4K solution that does not need to connect to the Kaleidescape store for content?

My other question is...

I use my Kaleidescape system for 2ch music about 80% of the time. I would like to get high resolution audio including DSD content (eg downloads from HD Tracks) into the Kaleidescape ecosystem as a more elegant and seamless solution than computer audio. Does Kaleidescape have any plans in this regard?

Last edited:
You would think right! K, I'm sure, shares that API internally. Remotescape was developed by two former K employees (one a founder) who just might have more inside knowledge than the public. I'm guessing. �� The remotescape app hasn't been updated in years

I also have RoomieRemote (now SimpleControl) which I pay a subscription fee in order to get satellite guides AND the Kaleidescape guide. This gives a list of all my movies with cover art that I can search.

John

Edit: Here is a link to a page that if you scroll down shows what the Kaleidescape Movie Guide looks like.

http://www.roomieremote.com/products/roomie-service/

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

How should we think about how K will integrate a system that includes a premier and Encore server? Will we be able to have integrated libraries and a message telling us to switch inputs? This assumes we never get a player that can access both servers.
A hybrid such as you describe would actually involve a substantial amount of development effort, but even with all that effort I'm afraid it would produce a result that would still have quite a few rough edges. It may be possible to develop something that makes sense and maintains the ease of use that our customers expect, but at this time we don't have any options to announce beyond what's stated in the FAQ.

Perhaps one that is near and dear to my heart. Any way we ever see a more upscale music offering on K? We all likely have music systems, but if K had a real HQ offering with digital outt and potentially integrated with Roon?
For now, at least, our focus is on movies. The simple truth is that we don't have the resources to do everything we want to do with movies, much less expand the music offering. Things may change over time, of course, but that's the answer today.
Also, welcome to J.Green, too!
Hear, hear!

Will the day likely ever come (say, in the next year), that Kalediescape can sell me a 4K solution that does not need to connect to the Kaleidescape store for content?
I honestly don't know. The only option I'm aware of other than online delivery would be Ultra HD Blu-ray. It's not clear yet whether that format will become broadly adopted and successful. If it does, we will certainly consider building a product that can play the format.

I use my Kaleidescape system for 2ch music about 80% of the time. I would like to get high resolution audio including DSD content (eg downloads from HD Tracks) into the Kaleidescape ecosystem as a more elegant and seamless solution than computer audio. Does Kaleidescape have any plans in this regard?
Please see my answer to Yetis above.

I hope that answers the questions posed so far! If I've missed anything, please let me know.

I personally use Plex Media Server for music. It runs on practically every device known to man (including mobile), the interface is great and they just added a ton of very nice library management features. They also entered into an arrangement with Vevo that embeds music videos for artists in your collection directly into the interface. You can even embed your own music videos and ripped concerts. The interface is very, very slick.

My library is mostly FLAC with some AAC from iTunes tossed in. Plex can transcode on the fly to any format needed for a given device. In the case of my Roku boxes, it transcodes FLAC to PCM. It is a cheap solution that works great and sounds fine. I also have a few Logitech Squeezeboxes kicking around that are pointed at the same library, but most of the time, we just use Plex.

Given the price of Vaults and the number of discs I have that are not available on UltraViolet, I will likely just rip them all to my NAS and run Plex side by side with my future Encore system. It is slightly less than idea, but I cannot personally justify spending $16 to store a single disc in a changer when I can buy an entire small business grade NAS with about 35TB of RAID 6 storage for less money than one Vault. For me, the magic of Kaleidescape is being able to get my UV (and hopefully my DMA) movies in full Blu-Ray quality. Nobody else offers that at this time. K is the only game in town.

Hello Mike,

I have just posted in the "Encore Line FAQ from K" thread a number of questions regarding both new and old products.

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

As November is here and is in the final stretch, has pricing and first customer shipment dates been announced for the Terra?

SUNNYVALE, Calif., Oct. 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Kaleidescape, Inc., ...

Kaleidescape Alto and the Kaleidescape Disc Server are available now. Kaleidescape Terra will be available in November. Kaleidescape Strato will be available in the United States, Canada, and U.K. in early Q1, 2016. In the United States and Canada, the Strato MSRP will be $4,495 for the model with an internal 6 TB hard drive, and $3,495 for the model with no internal movie storage.

It can be ordered now.

Jim

Yes, they have begun shipping. I would suggest checking with your dealer to find out the status of your order.

Back