• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

iPad Remotescape?

I'm having trouble thinking it's worth $200 more (though I'm betting *most* users bought it before the kscape app was available)..

Yes, and some of us bought the Remotescape iPhone version for our iPads, then the Remotescape iPad version came out so we bought that, and then the Remotescape Volume Control and Custom Buttons licence came out and we bought that, and then Kaleidescape did their free iPad App :eek: So for me anyway it has been a big investment in the Remotescape...I wish they had a discounted upgrade path for the iPhone version users when the iPad version was released, but noth-withstanding that I have been very happy with the product. Actually I'm happy with both the Kaleidescape App and Remotescape, but the Remotescape fits my installation a bit better due to the Volume Control/Custom buttons.

I don't know where Dan is at with further development of Remotescape, but I hope there will be a future update supporting retina display and iOS6.

I didn't realize that the Kaleidescape app now could control the system.....! I'll have to go look....

I didn't realize that the Kaleidescape app now could control the system.....! I'll have to go look....

Well, it can interface to a system.

Here's the deal...the app can have volume buttons enabled. When enabled, you see them. When you press them, the Kscape publishes events on it's public TCP interface that volume buttons were pressed and which Kscape client you were controlling when it happened.

But that's all it does.

So what good is that? If you have a higher-level control system like Crestron, Savant, or even "lesser" systems like Indigo, you can setup something to listen to those events and do the proper controls to change the actual volume.

I've personally been moving AWAY from Crestron to an iRule based system. iRule is an iOS/Android app and it can talk to TCP based control systems, which include IR and RS-232 gateways from Global Cache. But a system like that is client-side only with no real "server." Since I'm mostly Mac based at home, I setup an Indigo instance on a Mac, which is a $150 home automation package. With it you can pretty easily set it up to listen to the Kscape events and send the proper IR codes on a Global Cache or whatever.

I love iRule for control of things that don't have dedicated apps, and it's fine for quick basic control of things that do. So I have a Kscape page that does the basics, but it can also launch the Kscape app if I need more. Works well.

--Donnie

But it sounds like Remotescape acutally would work with iRule.

However, it sounds like you have to purchase the App and then the extra $99licence to be able to program with extra buttons. Is this correct?

John

Correct. Volume control/Custom buttons requires an add-on license over and above the App purchase price.

But it sounds like Remotescape acutally would work with iRule.

I wonder if it does the app-switching thing or not (or if it'll be added). With Kscape I can make it "seem" integrated to iRule by launching it right from iRule and it will return back to iRule automatically. No need to even use the home button app-switching in iOS.

And while Remotescape has the advantage of the custom buttons, using iRule/Indigo has further advantages of even greater customization. Which only matters if you WANT that sort of thing, obviously. I dunno, part of my disdain for Remotescape comes from it being an iOS app that costs half what your device costs. Just can't get my head around it. I know the app is really low volume and all that, but dang, that's just expensive.

--Donnie

Donnie
I have been playing around with irule when you have gone into the Kaleidescape app can you use it to control volume or are you coming out of the app
Thanks Neale

Donnie
I have been playing around with irule when you have gone into the Kaleidescape app can you use it to control volume or are you coming out of the app

You can't do that unless you use something as a middleman. The Kscape app just talks to your Kscape server to tell it that you asked for a volume change. The Kscape server then simply publishes that request on its network port. Since irule isn't running when this happens, it can't help you. You need a server of some type listening that also knows how to handle that volume request.

We use Indigo running on a Mac for that. It is $150 for the license, but it works very well and will help us automate some other things that irule isn't capable of.

--Donnie

Not being updated

Is it just me or isn't Remotescape actually a bad investment these days?
According to the App Store page, at least the for the iPhone version, is hasn't received an update since March 2012.

It seems like a bad idea to invest in a piece of software that isn't actively maintained.

The Remotescape App works in which case there is probably no need for an update.

The Remotescape App works in which case there is probably no need for an update.

I just makes me fear if the projects is somewhat abandoned, and won't be fixed to be compatible with future OS updates.
Apple do have a practice of breaking old API's; it all depends on which libraries the app uses.

Sometimes it's just nice to see something happen, however small it may be.

As a software engineer I constantly have to evaluate which libraries, and other supporting software, I dare bet on. And usually, if I see something that hasn't been updated for years, I stay away.

That's my main reason for concern; I haven't actually used the app, so can't comment on whether it's good or bad, though it definitely looks like a solid product.

A separate question; has anyone ever compared this to the competing app called 1Remote for Kaleidescape?

It seems to be very comparable on features and interface, it's actually quite a bit cheaper, and it's been updated more recently. Though April 2014 isn't exactly recent either.

I haven't compared Remotescape to 1Remote so I can't comment on that aspect. Remotescape is a solid product, and it supports volume control and custom buttons. If you're worried that the Remotescape App has been abandoned just email Dan and see how long it takes to get a reply. If you tried, I think you'll hear back from him in quick time.

Some news on Remotescape that has just come to hand. Remotescape was removed by Apple from the App Store, however Dan is working on an update which will make it compatible with iOS 11. Remotescape owners stay tuned for that one (no time frame mentioned for when it will be released).

Back