• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

iPad Remotescape?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
OK, I'll be the first to ask it...

Hoping that either Kaleidescape itself, or Dan Collens and team at Remotescape will release a more full-featured remote control system for iPad. I imagine it could do some really neat things with that form factor.

I agree. Although I'm planning to wait awhile for the iPad (want the bugs worked out), I "may" jump in sooner if a K app is released specifically for that panel.

Jim

Hi,

I sort of understood that the apps operated the same for the iPad and iPhone so that we would have remote apps available immediately? I already pre-ordered my 3G, I think that they're going to be great devices...

Thanks, Steven

I asked that very question of Remotescape the day the developer kit was released and I'm to understand they're "looking at it". They said the Remotescape app for iPod Touch will work with iPad until any iPad app is released.

Edit: I just hope someone builds a wall mount dock for the iPad, much like the wall mount dock for the Pronto Pro TSU9600.

Hi,

I sort of understood that the apps operated the same for the iPad and iPhone so that we would have remote apps available immediately? I already pre-ordered my 3G, I think that they're going to be great devices...

Thanks, Steven

I may be wrong here, but I would think they would have to address the better resolution available in the iPad by rewriting the program.

Jim

In general, the iPad can run just about any iPhone/touch app but it will run in the middle of the screen- there is a "2x" button that when pressed, the image gets blown up to full screen size. This is not as satisfying as having a native resolution app but it will work.

Thanks Jerry. I'm hopeful that a K app for the iPad will use the panels full rez. In any case, considering the iPad's price, it's sure to be an excellent device for controlling a K system.

I'm probably still going to wait awhile to see how the battery situation plays out, and to address operational issues (if any).:)

Jim

Battery issues? Apple said they will replace the entire ipad if the battery goes.

How about Crestrons? I have several TPS6X and after a year they are dying and they dont sell batteries to replace them, they have to go back to the dealer- what a pain in the rear end.

If I were Crestron and AMX I would begin to get nervous- they are not there yet, but these tablets/ pads/ etcs are going to eventually kill them.

I'll be buying an iPad on day 1 just to control my Kaleidescape system. I was going to buy an iPod Touch for this purpose but then Apple announced the iPad, so the money I saved in not buying the Pod will help pay for the Pad.

I don't suppose both Remotescape and Kaleidescape will support an iPad app, it will be one or the other. No point R doing it if K will do it for free.

I don't suppose both Remotescape and Kaleidescape will support an iPad app, it will be one or the other. No point R doing it if K will do it for free.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that K will come up with an app of their own. Given the fact that Remotescape has already created theirs and worked with K to do it, it would be redundant unless K thought they could do it better. I'd rather have an outside entity be working on it though as K has a lot of areas of focus and control has not been high on their priority list. I know for a fact though that Remotescape is looking into the iPad.

Keep in mind that they are limited in what they can do by K. They can only implement the control schemes that K allows for within the system. I know I personally would like to see more functionality in the remote and I hope that K will open things up a bit more as time goes by. I'm sure we can all come up with some great nice to haves on a remote and maybe that is worth starting a thread in the Feature & Enhancement Requests section of the forum.

Jeff

I'm also buying an iPad on day 1. I'm very interested in it as a control device for music as well as the KeyNote function. The functionality could certainly be expanded for more robust viewing of the K movie library and for jukebox music functions.

I intend to compare the 2x feature for both Remotescape and for the Sonos App. I don't see the device as terribly expensive when compared with other touchpanels for control - seeing as how it can do so much more. I don't think it is the be-all-end-all for control compared to RF and hardwired systems by RTI, AMX and Crestron, but it will likely be on par to those systems for casual control and browsing both music and movie collections - at a much lower entry price point.

I'll pass along my initial thoughts for those still undecided.

Jay

How about Crestrons? I have several TPS6X and after a year they are dying and they dont sell batteries to replace them, they have to go back to the dealer- what a pain in the rear end.

I am having the same problem with my TPS6X!! if I remove it from the dock, the battery is now only lasting 30 minutes or so when before it would be a couple hours - it is only 18 months old...ugh!

I know the discussion about the TPS-6X is off topic, but I have a question for Jerry and others: Is the battery life on the other Crestron touchpanels better -- or do other touchpanels at least make it easy for the end user to replace the battery?

Battery issues? Apple said they will replace the entire ipad if the battery goes.

If I were Crestron and AMX I would begin to get nervous- they are not there yet, but these tablets/ pads/ etcs are going to eventually kill them.

I was referring to having to deal with a battery issue on a "new" device. Why even release the panel if you already know there may be a battery problem? I guess it can be argued that the published $99 cost of replacing the panel if the battery dies is reasonable, but there is also the hassle of reloading and setting up a new panel. Not saying either of these is a big deal, and I recognize the battery may not even die, but we shouldn't even be having this discussion on a new product in my opinion.

Fortunately, I can rely on Jerry and TivoSloth to lead the way!! Now, if you guys give me the "thumbs up" after beta testing, I'll order mine as well.:D

Jim

...I don't see the device as terribly expensive...

I was going to buy a wall dock for my Pronto TSU9600 then Apple announced the iPad, and at amuch cheaper price point. The decision what to do was a no-brainer, but I do hope someone comes up with a nice after market wall dock for the iPad.

I was referring to having to deal with a battery issue on a "new" device. Why even release the panel if you already know there may be a battery problem? I guess it can be argued that the published $99 cost of replacing the panel if the battery dies is reasonable, but there is also the hassle of reloading and setting up a new panel. Not saying either of these is a big deal, and I recognize the battery may not even die, but we shouldn't even be having this discussion on a new product in my opinion.

Fortunately, I can rely on Jerry and TivoSloth to lead the way!! Now, if you guys give me the "thumbs up" after beta testing, I'll order mine as well.:D

Jim

I'm looking at this from a different angle. First, Apple commonly releases tech stuff like this about a product right at launch or, in this case, even before launch. I don't think it's any indication of a problem, just a statement of what their policy is - in part because they know customers will ask before a problem pops up given the sealed form factor design. They already have such a policy for the iPhone and iPod Touch, so really this is an extension of that.

As for a wholesale swap vs just a part swap, it's probably a move that ensures better QC in the field. The design of the iPad might make field disassembly tricky with the potential for damage if not done with extreme care. So, they decide to swap the entire unit vs just the part. While the need to re-initialize is a bit of a pain, the process it dead simple. Apple is treating this device like the iPhone and iPod Touch, whereby a backup is done every time you sync to iTunes. So, restoring data to a replacement hardware takes a few mouse clicks and you're good to go (after a long sync mind you, with length based on the size of the restore).

I do think charging for a replacement even within warranty is crappy though and definitely devalues AppleCare on the product, which in this case only gives you an extra year's coverage (2 vs the standard 1) for $99. All in all, I don't think just the release of the policy is any indication of a battery problem. We'll still have to see though what real world testing bears out. Most Apple watchers will tell you not to buy a first gen product for a number of reasons - tech issues, price decline in later gen, more features in later gen, etc. I know that all too well being a first gen MBA owner, but I'm still getting an iPad out of the gate... :D

Jeff

Mars tell your dealer right away and what I do is lock the unit to the base and dont remove it.

I agree with Jeff on the pad battery replacement. Apple is just saying what their policy will be. Anyway Im happy to give you all my report when I get it.

Back