• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

iPad Remotescape?

Thanks Jeff, makes sense.

I've always been an early adopter when it comes to electronics, especially in audio/video, but lately I've been getting tired of dealing with the usual "early run" glitches found in so many new products. Although many of these are eventually fixed in later releases and firmware updates, it is still a PITA. There are just too many companies out there lately using early customers as beta testers (not saying Apple does that).

I know that Apple continually improves it's products, and these improvements seem to be significant between first and 2nd generation releases, which is why I plan to wait. That said, not sure I'd wait very long if the early reports indicate the K interface works well.

Jim

Hi All,

I have had my iPad in hand a few days now and have put Remotescape on it. So far, Remotescape really seems to work exactly as it does on the iPhone/Pod. The 2X feature will expand the display, and while it gets a little 'fuzzy,' it isn't too bad. My preference is to run it in 2X, rather than the better resolution and smaller form-factor. The iPad makes it feel more like a touch panel than the iPhone/Pod, even thought it is the same program. I think that there is a ton of potential for the iPad acting as a touch panel, and Remotescape shows that right out of the box.

My brief comment on the iPad is that it is really a cool device. I have a couple of applications that I bought/downloaded for my iPhone/Pod that don't quite work right on the iPad, but for the most part, things run pretty much the same. Surfing and e-mail are vastly improved with the larger display, and it really makes it convenient. The battery seems to be just as strong as the iPhone/Pod. Like a few others on here, I've been greatly disappointed at the short battery time I have on my TPM-8X, even with the extra battery. My Crestron also gets very hot, where the iPad doesn't seem to get hot at all. I love my Crestron's functionality, but the battery/heat issues are my biggest complaint.

So far, so good with the iPad and Remotescape for me...

Thanks, Steven

Personally, I find that I can't stand using iPhone apps on the iPad now. Once you see some of the amazing things done for the larger screen format and capabilities with the well-designed native iPad apps, running the little iphone apps seems "toy-like" in comparison. I do have RemoteScape on my iPad but don't really use it... and am really hoping that they will release a native iPad app that takes full advantage of that screen real estate.

Thanks for that link James.

Jim

I've been greatly disappointed at the short battery time I have on my TPM-8X, even with the extra battery. My Crestron also gets very hot, where the iPad doesn't seem to get hot at all. I love my Crestron's functionality, but the battery/heat issues are my biggest complaint.

I have a very elaborate Crestron system in my home with HD video and audio pumped throughout the house with in-wall and wireless Crestron panels in every room. I love my Crestron gear because it is so bulletproof and reliable with one BIG exception. The Crestron wireless panels are unbelievably overpriced and unreliable. I have numerous 8X panels with the big batteries and they don't last long at all-- kind of defeating the point of wireless panels.

I bought an iPad the day it came out and it is an exceptional panel in every way. The battery life is astounding. I often use the iPad for two days without needing a recharge. With the Crestron 8x, I barely get through one movie before it needs to be docked in the charger. Apple has set a new standard with touchpanels with exceptional multitouch and battery life. Crestron really needs to get their act together on this front. They can no longer justify $3k for a wireless panel when something so much more powerful exists at a fraction of the cost.

Regarding the Remotescape iPhone app. It works fine of the iPad, but an upgrade is warranted. The iPad screen resolution and the physical size of the screen allow for a much better app.

Has anyone heard any updates from Remotescape re a native iPad app? The website still states "We plan to produce a native iPad version of Remotescape that uses the iPad's full screen resolution and new interface elements. We hope to release something by the end of 2010"

Since some London stores are starting to advertise xmas stuff and put tree's up I am guessing Christmas and thus the end of the year must be getting close ;-)

The main reason for asking is I am considering iPads instead of Crestron 6X's for the main rooms in a new house install (cheaper by a long way, better functionality and way better battery life)

I think they have been busy getting volume control supported in the Remotescape app. I guess once they've got that nailed they'll devote more effort towards the iPad version.

I've just bought the App. I'm not sure if there has been a price rise for Remotescape, but something weird is going here. Under iTunes preview it says the App is $69.99, but when you go to the iTunes store it says it is $89.99.
I'm looking forward to the iPad version, which I'm told should be released later this year.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 17
Playing with the Remotescape iPad app

Hey, everybody. Remotescape gave me access to the pre-release of the iPad app. (It is in the imminent final stages of Apple approval...) and I have to say VERY cool! If you've tried the iPhone/Touch app, it is very similar, but way improved graphics and better use of the Pad's larger screen real-estate.

Still no movie cover art, which Remotescape says they're trying to work with getting access to the K'scape protocols to implement, but a terrific control option for those of you with an iPad, especially if you have an extensive music library on your system.

I don't know how to attach an image or I'd show you some screen shots...

John

Any word on pricing? Can you lock the screen orientation for wall mount iPads?

I don't know how to attach an image or I'd show you some screen shots...

Use the insert image icon at the top of the text box when composing the message...you need to host the image on photobucket first and then post the URL in the insert image text box.

Use the insert image icon at the top of the text box when composing the message...you need to host the image on photobucket first and then post the URL in the insert image text box.

I don't have a photobucket account. Brendon volunteered to post them for me, so I'm going to e-mail them to him. And, side note, taking a picture of an iPad is NOT easy! Very reflective-ey! But, enjoy!
John

As techie as I am, I'm pretty naive about a lot of things computer, and the iPad is the only Apple device I have, so I don't know what iPhoto is or how to use it. Is it an app or something pre-loaded onto the Pad? And maybe respond to me privately so we don't turn this into an iPad how to thread.... :)

I don't have a photobucket account. Brendon volunteered to post them for me, so I'm going to e-mail them to him. And, side note, taking a picture of an iPad is NOT easy! Very reflective-ey! But, enjoy!
John

Hey Guys

Here are the photos.
Remotescape 1.jpg
Remotescape 2.jpg
Remotescape 3.jpg

Brendon

Back