• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

iPad Remotescape?

It's actually very easy to include a photo in a post, just select the small "paperclip" (Attachments) above the message block, browse your PC/mac for the image, upload (it will indicate "Uploading File(s)--Please wait") and when finished uploading, just submit .

Jim

Attachments

• Family Photos 020.jpg
    Family Photos 020.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 24
I believe it will be $149 and it seems to only be landscape (horizontal) mode.

I hope they release it with the option of vertical or horizontal mode. Otherwise this will be problematic for those owners who need a vertical wall mounted iPad (like me, I won't buy it unless vertical screen mode is supported for all features).

Is there different pricing for those who have already bought Remotescape for iPhone and installed it on an iPad? I don't have an iPhone and installed my Remotescape on the iPad from the outset...

And...how is the beta app distributed? Can developers send them out directly to testers, or must they download it via iTunes?

Finally...is volume control supported? There are no volume control icons on those screen shots.

I hope they release it with the option of vertical or horizontal mode. Otherwise this will be problematic for those owners who need a vertical wall mounted iPad (like me, I won't buy it unless vertical screen mode is supported for all features).

Is there different pricing for those who have already bought Remotescape for iPhone and installed it on an iPad? I don't have an iPhone and installed my Remotescape on the iPad from the outset...

And...how is the beta app distributed? Can developers send them out directly to testers, or must they download it via iTunes?

Finally...is volume control supported? There are no volume control icons on those screen shots.

Don't think there will be a vertical mode; I believe I am playing with the final version, and it doesn't support vertical. From what they said, the app is in the very final stages of Apple approval, so I doubt there will be big changes like that, though possible in a future rev...?

They sent me a whole list of features they would like to include but that they need K'scape to allow access to certain bits of the code or something to make it work. (Like browsing movie cover art and movie collections, etc.) So I think they will continue to add features as they are giving the ability to.

Can't discuss the pricing and any upgrade deals. However, from my experience the Dan's at Remotescape are super cool and I imagine they would work with you, but I'm just totally speculating here...

I had to give them my iPad's like 30 digit UDID number for them to unlock something to allow me to import it. Then they sent me a link that I installed directly through iTunes without using the iStore. I don't know how many people are allowed to Beta test it. As a reviewer, I think I'm a special case.

Volume control is supported. You have to purchase the separate volume control app. See the 3rd pic I sent originally (with the version 1.3.1). It has the volume control tab which takes you to the link to purchase.

It's actually very easy to include a photo in a post, just select the small "paperclip" (Attachments) above the message block, browse your PC/mac for the image, upload (it will indicate "Uploading File(s)--Please wait") and when finished uploading, just submit .

Jim

You're right! I see that now! So, in honor of my new found photo attaching skills, here is another screen shot showing the album covers view. WAY easier to browse and use than on the iPhone and looks way nicer than the upscaled iPhone app...

Attachments

• Album Art.JPG
    Album Art.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 41
That does look great, I guess it's time for me to add that to my iPad!:)

Jim

I never understood about not being able to browse the movie coverart like you can for music. The movie coverarts are there, it shows in the "now playing" tab...you just can't browse by the movie coverarts. Anyway, it would be good if they get access to the code they need to make it work.

I have a single volume control licence that I'm using with Remotescape for iPhone installed on my iPad, if I upgraded to the iPad version do I need to buy another volume control licence?

But I really do need vertical mode supported....Remotescape for iPad would look daft on a vertically wall mounted iPad if vertical mode wasn't supported.

I never understood about not being able to browse the movie coverart like you can for music. The movie coverarts are there, it shows in the "now playing" tab...you just can't browse by the movie coverarts. Anyway, it would be good if they get access to the code they need to make it work.

Yes, we can get the cover art, but we can't get a list of all the movies in the library (you'll notice we only ever display the data for the currently-playing movie, or on the iPad, the one that's currently selected).

I have a single volume control licence that I'm using with Remotescape for iPhone installed on my iPad, if I upgraded to the iPad version do I need to buy another volume control licence?

No, you won't have to buy another volume control license. Volume control is licensed by Kaleidescape zone -- for as many iPhones/iPads as you like.

But I really do need vertical mode supported....Remotescape for iPad would look daft on a vertically wall mounted iPad if vertical mode wasn't supported.

Initially, Remotescape for iPad will only support landscape orientation. If demand warrants it, we'll consider offering portrait orientation support in a future update. We think the app looks nicer in landscape mode, and it would be a fair bit of work to add portrait mode too.

--Dan.

Dan, the orientation limit aside, it appears you guys have done a very nice job with the iPad implementation.:)

Jim

If you've tried the iPhone/Touch app, it is very similar, but way improved graphics and better use of the Pad's larger screen real-estate.

So are these screen shots just a result of movies (rather than series) with short descriptions? Otherwise, it looks like there is a ton of dead space (even after zooming down to life size.)

So are these screen shots just a result of movies (rather than series) with short descriptions? Otherwise, it looks like there is a ton of dead space (even after zooming down to life size.)

The Now Playing tab has some empty space when a movie is playing because there just isn't that much metadata to show. It's better when you're playing music. See the attached screenshot.
--Dan.

Attachments

• music_now_playing.jpg
    music_now_playing.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 40
Yeah, Remotescape is awsome, we all love it!

Considering how cheap an entry level iPad is, and the very affordable pricing of the Remotescape w/volume App, the 2 together form a very powerful controller for the Kaleidescape system, plus it does a whole lot more than any other control system.

I'm happy enough to keep the Remotescape iPhone version running on my iPad. When portrait mode is supported in the iPad version I'll upgrade...my hands really are tied with the vertical wall mount requirement.

Remotescape for iPad now available!

Just a quick note to let everyone know that Remotescape for iPad is now available in the Apple App Store!

Find out more at the updated Remotescape website or go straight to the App Store.
--Dan.

So anyone using the remotescape app over the free kaleidescape app?

For several reasons, being:
1. Coverart view in Remotescape very similar to the Kaleidescape UI (I prefer this presentation over the Kaleidescape App list view presentation).
2. Remote button in Remotescape with all OSD options on the left, and the touch/gesture navigation space.
3. Volume control in Remotescape works with any device (can use gateway hardware for IR and serial control, as well as TCP).
4. Custom buttons in Remotescape can control control lights, curtains, shutters, projection screen etc all within the App.
The slight downside with Remotescape is it's considerably slower to sync with the system content on startup than the Kaleidescape App, but (from what I can tell) only if content has been imported into the system since the App was launched previously.

For me the killer feature with Remotescape is Volume Control and Custom Buttons, but in general I find it just slightly more easier and intuitive to use.

I'm having trouble thinking it's worth $200 more (though I'm betting *most* users bought it before the kscape app was available), but I have an additional question...does it support the app switching mode that the kscape does? With the kscape app I can have a button in iRule to jump right to the kscape app, and if you launch it properly with iRule, you get a button in the kscape app to jump right back to iRule.

Also note that you *can* make the volume buttons work in the kscape app via a middle-man server like Indigo (got it working here), though the custom buttons are obviously another matter entirely.

Personally I'm having trouble thinking that iRule+kscape isn't just as good, but iRule does also cost some money, too (but then again, I can do a LOT more with it). But *I* don't care for the coverart view (I mean it's great to show the system off, I just rarely actually use it myself), either.

--Donnie

If Remotescape works with any gateway, I may have to look into this. This is my complaint about the K app.

John

For several reasons, being:
3. Volume control in Remotescape works with any device (can use gateway hardware for IR and serial control, as well as TCP).
4. Custom buttons in Remotescape can control control lights, curtains, shutters, projection screen etc all within the App.
QUOTE]

Back