• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

UV shutting down 7/31

I'm wondering what happens to the movies I have in my Kaleidescape collection that are there because of the link to my UV locker?

More info here: https://www.myuv.com/faq

"How can I access my existing movies and TV shows after UltraViolet shuts down?
In most cases, your movies and TV shows will be available via the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library at the time of UltraViolet shutdown. Linking to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption. Visit www.myuv.com/retailers for a list of retailers."

It'll be interesting to see what this means with our K and other retailer accounts. This is the very scary part of digital ownership. Let's hope UV and the retailers all do the right thing for the consumer.

Premiere systems even more important.

Well this makes upgrading to the Strato systems with the credit even less attractive. I have always believed in physical media as a backup. I might still purchase an Strato system for the 4k in the future but the premiere will continue to be the backbone of my system because of the inherent problem with digital rights.

Once UV dies, the movies that came into K through UV should remain fully licensed in K (same as VUDU). It should now act like you natively bought them direct from K forever more.

The downside will be having movies in UV in UHD that are not yet UHD in K. In that case, you'll retain the HD rights. But if K launches the UHD version in August, you'll have to buy it again, since rights only actively port what's available in the store right now. Ideally, K will add a lot more UHD movie versions in the next few months to alleviate this.

It was pretty clear UV was going down. MA coming to prominence. Lionsgate, Universal, Sony, and such dropping UV. Even new releases from Warner and Paramount not coming with UV rights. I really hope this drives more studios into MA with haste.

Now is the perfect time for a K authority to post a calming message with hope for future linking to MA.

Ultraviolet Closing

Looks like UV is going away soon. The message indicates "in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers"

Hopefully MA will kick in soon with Kaleidescape

MA scary

I just hate the thought of giving Disney more monopoly power

Once UV dies, the movies that came into K through UV should remain fully licensed in K (same as VUDU). It should now act like you natively bought them direct from K forever more.

The downside will be having movies in UV in UHD that are not yet UHD in K. In that case, you'll retain the HD rights. But if K launches the UHD version in August, you'll have to buy it again, since rights only actively port what's available in the store right now. Ideally, K will add a lot more UHD movie versions in the next few months to alleviate this.

It was pretty clear UV was going down. MA coming to prominence. Lionsgate, Universal, Sony, and such dropping UV. Even new releases from Warner and Paramount not coming with UV rights. I really hope this drives more studios into MA with haste.

Now is the perfect time for a K authority to post a calming message with hope for future linking to MA.

I bet K takes this opportunity to rethink its integration with digital rights. I personally think they should no longer allow someone to purchase a movie from Vudu or elsewhere and then go over to K to download. Not healthy for the company. I know folks might disagree... SJ

I bet K takes this opportunity to rethink its integration with digital rights. I personally think they should no longer allow someone to purchase a movie from Vudu or elsewhere and then go over to K to download. Not healthy for the company. I know folks might disagree... SJ

I strongly disagree but let's not turn this thread into that discussion :)

This would be the quickest way for K to die. A content island that is digital with no backup.

And I disagree with it too :).

Not integrating with MA is no longer acceptable after 07/31.

This is the email received from UV.

We are writing to inform you that the UltraViolet service is planning to shut down on July 31, 2019. You are receiving this message because you signed up for an UltraViolet Library or for a service that created an UltraViolet Library for you.

What does this mean for you?
Between January 31 and July 31, 2019
You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.
After the shutdown date
Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
What should you do now?
As soon as possible, login at myuv.com and choose Retailer Services to verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.
Don't unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.
Look for further communications from UltraViolet and your retailers over the coming months, as some retailers may disconnect from UltraViolet before July 31.

Some details may be updated, so visit myuv.com/faq often for the most current information and answers to frequently asked questions.

Thank you for making UltraViolet part of how you enjoy digital entertainment. Please do not hesitate to contact customer support at customercare@uvvu.com if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

The UltraViolet Team

This is the email from Kaleidescape.

Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE), the organization that runs the digital locker system known as UltraViolet (UV), notified Kaleidescape that the UltraViolet service will shut down later this year. Therefore, Kaleidescape will disconnect from UltraViolet services on May 31, 2019.

Any movie purchased from a third-party retailer that included a UV digital token prior to that date will permit Kaleidescape customers to continue to enjoy that title on their Kaleidescape system in perpetuity, with no change to your movie library.

If you purchased titles from third parties, Kaleidescape will keep a permanent record of your UV-enabled purchases through your UV account, which means that you can download those titles at any time in the future, even post UV shutdown.

Until May 31st, as long as your Kaleidescape movie store account is linked to UV, and that UV account is linked to your third-party UV retailer accounts, Kaleidescape will offer you the privilege of downloading your titles to your Kaleidescape system.

After May 31st, when Kaleidescape disconnects its Movie Store accounts from UV, we will no longer know what titles you purchase from third-party retailers. On that date, Kaleidescape will cease to offer new UV tokens for movies purchased from Kaleidescape, so there will no longer be a way for movies purchased from Kaleidescape to be viewed on third party apps and devices.

Sincerely,

The Kaleidescape Team

Last edited:
This would be the quickest way for K to die. A content island that is digital with no backup.

And I disagree with it too :).

Not integrating with MA is no longer acceptable after 07/31.

I'm suggesting you would have the K content and the digital rights as a backup and for streaming. Almost the same as when you purchase a physical disk. You purchased a physical disk and you get a digital code - not the other way around. You purchased a full res copy from K (same as disk - but understand it is still digital, but for the K full res version) and they give you a code which works on MA or VUDU. OK, wrong conversation here and not sure how big an issue it is, but the store is the future for K.... SJ

I'm suggesting you would have the K content and the digital rights as a backup and for streaming. Almost the same as when you purchase a physical disk. You purchased a physical disk and you get a digital code - not the other way around. You purchased a full res copy from K (same as disk - but understand it is still digital, but for the K full res version) and they give you a code which works on MA or VUDU. OK, wrong conversation here and not sure how big an issue it is, but the store is the future for K.... SJ

I agree that this is the best solution if it’s possible and really no different than buying a physical disk and getting digital rights with the purchase.

Oh joy of joys.... can't sleep and now just seen this... definitely can't sleep now as brain has kicked into overdrive! Strangely I've not received any email from UV to tell me this, I'm guessing it's somewhere in their 30m strong outbox LOL.

thanks for posting this though, it definitely motivates me to get my VUDU D2D pile sorted asap, certainly ain't leaving that until May

Back