• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

UV shutting down 7/31

I'm suggesting you would have the K content and the digital rights as a backup and for streaming. Almost the same as when you purchase a physical disk. You purchased a physical disk and you get a digital code - not the other way around. You purchased a full res copy from K (same as disk - but understand it is still digital, but for the K full res version) and they give you a code which works on MA or VUDU. OK, wrong conversation here and not sure how big an issue it is, but the store is the future for K.... SJ

I have to say that this fits my needs perfectly. I currently purchase through the K Store (except for some discs that I purchase separately) and would like my movies to port over for streaming on mobile devices.

I am always very aware of needing to support K and am happy to do so since I can't get this capability anywhere else.

John

Will digital offers still work?

For the first time, I tried doing a digital offer to upgrade to HD quality for a title that I have on DVD. I get the message that I must link a UV account first before it will allow me to do this. So will this even work at all anymore after UV shuts down?

Attachments

• digital offers.png
    digital offers.png
    237.1 KB · Views: 34
If you have UV rights with that title, and assuming it's in the Store and available as a UV download, then it will work once you link your current service (Vudu, etc.) account to K's Store. In the Store, go to "Manage," then "Account," then "Ultraviolet" (top Right), and follow instructions to Link the account.

Jim

I guess I was not clear enough. After selecting a movie imported from a disc on the screen of a Premier system, one of the menu options available for the majority of titles is "Digital Offers". Selecting this will give the option to purchase the movie in DVD or Blu-ray quality. For titles on Blu-ray disc, purchasing this offer would negate the need to keep the original disc in the vault as one has now purchased the movie digitally from K (at a discounted price).

It seems like this functionality relies on UV. So will "Digital Offers" no longer be "offered" after UV shuts down?

I guess I was not clear enough. After selecting a movie imported from a disc on the screen of a Premier system, one of the menu options available for the majority of titles is "Digital Offers". Selecting this will give the option to purchase the movie in DVD or Blu-ray quality. For titles on Blu-ray disc, purchasing this offer would negate the need to keep the original disc in the vault as one has now purchased the movie digitally from K (at a discounted price).

It seems like this functionality relies on UV. So will "Digital Offers" no longer be "offered" after UV shuts down?

I thought at the time - that message looked strange for a D2D upgrade. Might just be a glitch and be worthwhile contacting K support to resolve. AFAIK D2D and UV are seperate offers and one has no bearing on the other, unless of course the D2D carries UV rights as well.

My bad, sorry for misunderstanding. All the titles in the K Store are obviously "digital." Currently, we can download content from the K Store by purchasing new, by accepting a digital offer, or utilizing UV. Digital Offers are generated based on a confirmation of ownership of the physical disc (cataloging), whereas UV was based on the additional license purchased with the physical disc. The two are separate, so when UV ends, we still have access to digital offers.

Jim

AFAIK D2D and UV are seperate offers and one has no bearing on the other, unless of course the D2D carries UV rights as well.

Actually, depending upon the studio, some Disc-to-Digital offers are handled through the UltraViolet mechanism. That's why it's necessary to link a UV account to do certain Disc-to-Digital offers.

I can't comment yet on how this will work after the UV shutdown, but it is something we're well aware of.

Actually, depending upon the studio, some Disc-to-Digital offers are handled through the UltraViolet mechanism. That's why it's necessary to link a UV account to do certain Disc-to-Digital offers.

I can't comment yet on how this will work after the UV shutdown, but it is something we're well aware of.

Thanks Mike - appreciate the clarification

Well I stand corrected as well, thanks for making me look dumb Mike!:D

Seriously, did not know that, and in fact had been told otherwise in the past, but I certainly trust Mike here, if anyone knows the answers, it's him!:)

Jim

7/31 is getting ever closer. Does K have any plans as to what happens going forward after the shutdown?

Yes. Not ready to announce yet, but yes.

Movies Anywhere!

Would be nice to have it K can keep disc to digital with rights transferring out from converted movies into MA. VUDU does this now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That works......

Jim

In case anyone didn't get this:

Dear Kaleidescape Customer,

Earlier this year, the organization that runs UltraViolet (UV) announced that the UV service will be shut down. Because of this, Kaleidescape is required to disconnect from the UV service on May 31, 2019.

Any UV-enabled movies you purchased from other UV retailers will remain part of your Kaleidescape account, provided that on May 31: (a) your Kaleidescape account remains linked to your UltraViolet account; and, (b) the movie is available for sale from the Kaleidescape Movie Store. This means that you will still be able to download those movies after the UV shutdown.

After May 31, when Kaleidescape disconnects its Movie Store accounts from UV, we will no longer know what titles you purchase from third-party retailers. Also on that date, Kaleidescape will cease to offer new UV tokens for movies purchased from Kaleidescape, so movies purchased from Kaleidescape after that date cannot be viewed on third-party apps and devices.

If you have further questions, please send them to UV@kaleidescape.com.

Sincerely,

The Kaleidescape Team

UV rights don't always come through on the first pass. So, is there a (c) the movie must be UV entitled at the time, or will those entitlements no longer be added after 5/31? I guess part of the consideration to the last option is whether K gets a full list of all your holdings, such that they could later pop, or whether they are only told of matches between their UV-enabled library and our UV-account.

My understanding is, if the UV title is not visible in your K Store account on May 31, it will not show up later, so my guidance when asked (more than once lately), is don't wait until May 30th to redeem UV content, do it as soon as possible and then follow up with K if necessary. I may be wrong, Mike or John can comment, but I believe K will no longer be connected to the UV system that allows for a cross identification of UV titles between K and UV after May 31st.

Jim

Right, but how do cut-off titles work?

An example might be easier:
  • Title comes out 5/24, chances are it has been in the K-store for a couple weeks, but does not have UV/D2D enabled
  • Redeem code to UV-library on 5/25
  • K/UV disconnect happens on 5/31
  • All things being equal, the UV entitlement would have hit the K-store in an update on 6/11
... does this title get added as owned?

Don't think so. If I understand the process, it isn't about the UV "token" being available, it's about it being redeemed in time to reach YOUR Store account NLT May 31, 2019. Any further clarification would need to come from K.

In any case, I doubt many people are concerned about the timing that last week, you're the only person I know that adds 25 titles a week!:D

Jim

Why is Kaleidescape UV connection going down 5/31 when other UA members are going down 7/31? Why is Kaleidescape going down 2 whole months early?

Back