• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Remotescape! Kaleidscape control from iPhone & iPod Touch

Is this app. available in Europe yet?

Remotescape's control apps have always been available worldwide. (Maybe you're thinking of Kaleidescape's app that shows you what titles you have on your system when you're on the go?)

i ran the phone app on my ipad and was satisfied until i bought the ipad version. Outstanding! my only grip was there should have been an upgrade price. iPad app is EXPENSIVE!

Remotescape is not what I was expecting and I have wasted £85 it's no different from the remote supplied if you are using it for Films
With Music i presume the art work is visible on the iPad and then you can select the music you want unfortunately this is not the case with films you just scroll on the screen like with the supplied remote
I have approached apple for a refund and have had no luck tried emailing Remotescape and been fobbed off where are my consumer rights

i believe there are legalities that prevent the viewing of movies as you can music, however there are always software upgrades. There may be something down the pike. I have found the benefit of the app over the remote for use in areas where I don't have the line of sight needed for an IR remote or especially in a whole house AV system. The money is not wasted. After six months I don't know where my remote is.

Remotescape is not what I was expecting and I have wasted ?85 it's no different from the remote supplied if you are using it for Films
With Music i presume the art work is visible on the iPad and then you can select the music you want unfortunately this is not the case with films you just scroll on the screen like with the supplied remote
I have approached apple for a refund and have had no luck tried emailing Remotescape and been fobbed off where are my consumer rights

Remotescape can't give you a refund. There's no way for an Apple developer to issue a refund to a customer. Apple is the sole arbiter of the refund process. Apple app devs don't even know the names of their customers -- we just get a daily report of how many sales in each region.

If you want a refund, what you need to do is fire up iTunes on your PC or Mac, and go to the "iTunes Store" tab on the left. Then scroll to the very bottom, and in the page footer, under "Manage", click on "Account".

From the Account page, press the "Purchase History" button. Press the "Report a Problem" button on the bottom of the page. Then there will be little "Report a Problem" links at the top next to the recently-purchased apps. Click on the one next to the item you want a refund for, and follow the instructions.

If it's been too long and the app doesn't show up with a Report a Problem link next to it, then you need to contact Apple support directly by email or telephone.

It is possible to get a refund from Apple (the customer is always right), but they don't make it quick and easy, and as I say, no Apple app developer can issue a refund for you, unfortunately.

------

Regarding your original point about the lack of cover art for movies, that's addressed here on the Remotescape FAQ:
http://www.remotescape.com/faq.shtml#question_trouble_02
Essentially, Kaleidescape does not provide a way for Remotescape to get the required information from their control protocol.
--Dan.

This is what I got back from iTunes I tried to go through iTunes and log a problem and was directed back to Remotescape

All Sales Are Final

Introduction
This document outlines the sales policy for the iTunes Store.

How To
With the iTunes Store, all sales are final. As soon as you click the Buy button (using either 1-Click or the Shopping Cart) your purchases are charged to the credit card on your Apple Account. You cannot cancel a purchase or receive a refund for a purchase. See the iTunes Terms of Sale for additional information.

Sorry Dan I am not getting at you but have been through this process with apple and left with the above comment
I am aggrieved because did discuss in this forum earlier and was told to try it

I am pleased after lots of emails did eventually get a promise from Apple will get my money back
I relationship to remotescape I think it is great for music but I have a Linn system for music and only use the Kaleidescape for films if it could only do clip art the same for films as music I would be happy but Kaleidescape wont allow it
Thanks Dan I would recommend trying the software but you have to be very belligerent with apple and ignore it if they say no

I am pleased after lots of emails did eventually get a promise from Apple will get my money back
I relationship to remotescape I think it is great for music but I have a Linn system for music and only use the Kaleidescape for films if it could only do clip art the same for films as music I would be happy but Kaleidescape wont allow it
Thanks Dan I would recommend trying the software but you have to be very belligerent with apple and ignore it if they say no

I'm glad to hear you did finally get a refund from Apple, and very sorry that it was such a difficult process. I agree it sounds like one should avoid the "try it first" approach unless you're comfortable pushing hard on Apple for a refund. It's a pity they haven't provided a way for the developers to issue refunds.
--Dan.

Thanks Dan
I have emailed Kaleidescape with the request awaiting a reply from them that was over a week ago normally they get back sooner

doesnt work for everyone

my two subnets are still causing issues with remotescape..
I am using iMastercontrol with a global cache device, so I can actually control the Kaleidescape players directly by IP address and sending the appropriate command. I have a route set up in the server so I can see the KS system from my subnet, but that won't work with remotescape. I'm surprised no one has come up with an app for controlling KS like this as an alternative. iMasterControl doesn't deal with messages from KS, so i can't see status on the iPad. iMastercontrol also is supposed to be able to invoke apps, but it appears to work only with apple apps, so I'm unable to call remotescape from within it. Its all a bit hodge podge round here.. while we're on it can't we get KS to write an app so we can actually watch movies on the iPad??
I'd also like it to bring me a scotch and soda around 9pm

thanks for the insight.. in fact I have a multizone system attached to about 27 different monitors.. most of which are very sexy HDMI 1080p or similar. however I have some rooms where I want the same availability of media but just don't have room for a 60" TV, or even a 12"! It's an aesthetic choice which I won't go into, but suffice to say the K system tends these days to take a back seat to things like Plex which streams content beautifully to every screen, even an iphone! I can even stream live Sat TV with a Vulkano, though its clunky. But my 1500 DVD's can only be watched in the big rooms. I guess I'll have to live with it...

I have just "upgraded" to the Remotescape iPad version (from the iPhone version running on iPad). My first comment is the movie and music coverarts look so much better at this resolution on iPad than the iPhone version running on an iPad scaled up to 2X resolution!

However there are some things I'd like to see "tweaked" in future releases (no doubt Dan will comment on the possibilities here).

1. There is a lot of blank but useable space on the "movies>now playing" screen, particularly the six function icons at the bottom of the screen, and the transport control and volume control icons at the top of the screen. It would be nice to have the ability to select larger icons here via the settings menu, to improve ease of viewing and control.

2. Same applies to the time elapsed/remaining progress bars, it would be nice to be able to choose a larger graphic via the settings menu.

3. It would be good if you could grab the track titles from bookmarked concert videos and have these display in the "now playing" window in the same way that music (CD) track titles display, and also have a separate time elapsed/remaining progress bar for the current concert song, in addition to the main disc progress bar.

4. It would be nice to be able to add more control buttons to the volume control feature, and have these editable by the user. Say for example, I'd like to be able to add another two control buttons for lighting. I don't know if the iOS supports long and short presses of buttons (in the same way as CBUS does), but with my two lighting buttons I'd have an ON button and an OFF button. A short press ramps up/down to 100/0%, and a long press ramps up/down whilst the button remains pressed (dimming control).

5. And also have the Remotescape for iPad icon slightly different to the Remotescape for iPhone icon (so when you have both Apps installed on an iPad it's easy to tell one from the other, make it easier for the kids to launch the correct Remotescape version for the platform).

Back