• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Remotescape! Kaleidscape control from iPhone & iPod Touch

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Like many of us, I've long wanted a way to control Kaleidescape from my iPhone. Finally, such a product exists... Remotescape, from a new company by the same name. It's a remarkable product in many senses and certainly fills a gap in the market - a portable, handheld, touchscreen remote for a fraction of the price of existing systems, and being delivered on a platform that many Kaleidescape owners already own and enjoy.

So does it live up to the full potential, does it really rival Crestron, AMX, high-end Protos and the like? Yes in some ways, no in others, but it will indeed work very well for many users and certainly show what is possible as this product and company matures. And it does some things very very well. I think many Kaleidescape users will be enamored of it and will say it is very much what they've been waiting for.

I've been lucky enough to be beta-testing this app for the last several months, and it's very slick. It looks very much like an app that Kaleidescape itself might have produced... and with good reason. One of the founders of Remotescape is Dan Collens, who is also one of the original founders and Director of Engineering at Kaleidescape.

So, what does it do?
It's a relatively full-featured device-specific remote for your Kaleidescape, offering both movie and music control in a nicely-laid out user interface with a touchscreen interface. On the movie side it can act as a handheld remote while you're watching a movie or interacting with the user interface, featuring many things that were only previously possible with far more expensive and complicated touch-screen remotes.

Maybe more importantly to some, are its capabilities on the Kaleidescape music side. In many (but not all) installations, it can act as a complete remote-replacement for the music system, giving you a way to control music in rooms where you have a music player but no full-featured wall panel or remote. In fact, it's so good at this function, that it may well compel owners to add some music zones to their house now that they can easily control those zones from an iPod touch in those rooms, or from their iPhones that they may always carry with them.
collage_3d.jpg

Connections & Setup
Like all good iPhone apps, there's practically nothing needed to install it. Download it from the AppStore, and in all likelihood, when you run it it will discover your system on the home network and begin operating. You'll see each of your movie and music players listed on RemoteScape's Options screen. Pick one, and you're now controlling that zone. It works through wifi, of course, so you'll need a home network with wifi, but presumably iPhone and iPod Touch users have that already.

By virtue of its wifi connection, you don't need a "base station" or anything like that. It communicates with your Kaleidescape players and server through TCP/IP. That provides for reliable communication without worry for RF or IR reception, but should also make some potential weaknesses (for some users) obvious: it can't control volume of your audio system, it can't change your TV to the right input, it can't interact with ANY gear other than your Kaleidescape players. For this reason, Remotescape is in all likelihood NOT a replacement for your system remote. It's an auxiliary remote that can control your system in other ways, but you'll still need a way to power-on your gear and control volume and inputs, at the very least. Even if you have other gear that can take commands via TCP/IP, there's no provision for that in Remotescape. It ONLY controls Kaleidescape players. So as nice as it is, it won't become the remote you hand to the babysitter or the in-laws. Crestron programmers, Proto-Edit and MX-Editor users need not fear for their job skills yet.

Connecting via Wifi does have one other downside. Every time your iphone or ipod goes to sleep, the wifi connection is broken. So grabbing the iphone when it's off means you have to "wake it", unlock it, and then wait while it re-establishes wifi connection. This can take maybe 8-10 seconds total, so it means it's not always handy to reach for the iphone to quickly issue a command unless you turn off the sleep function of the iphone while you're using it for Kaleidescape control. (Something the Remotescape software doesn't offer on its own).

It also means you're controlling your Kaleidescape while at home, on your home network. There's no ability to remotely control your Kaleidescape while away from your home via cellular or another network. I have no idea why you'd want to do this, but for some reason I still thought it was worth noting.

OK, with those caveats now given, let's see what this device CAN do.

Movie & Kaleidescape UI control:
Like most good touchscreen controls, you can use Remotescape to move around the Kaleidescape UI. There are all the usual shortcut buttons to take you directly to List, Cover-view, and Collections, and in-movie controls like transport buttons, Intermission, and DVD Menu. While a movie is playing, you can bring up a "Now Playing" screen on Remotescape to see the metadata and cover art for your movie.

framed_nowplaying_01.jpg

Where the Remotescape app comes up short, it's due to some limitations Kaleidescape currently imposes on data that's available via TCP/IP for movie data. (Items they seem to have CORRECTED for the music subsystem when they released that system update, but still haven't been addressed for Movies). For instance, the remote can't show you what chapter you're in, nor present you with your favorite scenes. It CAN show you the cover for your current movie (as shown above) but it can't replicate cover nav mode on the remote itself. (something it does nicely for music.) For now, it doesn't have direct controls for selecting audio tracks or subtitles. In practice, some of these limitations may not matter much to you, since you're unlikely to ever browse and want to control movies without having your display on. In other cases, the remote can accomplish everything you want by virtue of being able to pull up the overlay controls at the bottom of the Kaleidescape UI where you can find panels for all your audio, subtitle, and favorite-scene controls. You look up at your display while your hands operate the remote, and it can work well. (We'll talk about Music later, but most of these limitations don't exist there and the remote really shines as a great remote-room music controller as you can see and do everything you'd want without any display device. The remotescape shows EVERYTHING you want for music, including cover art, progress bar, time indicators, etc.)

The team has come up with some very novel remote UI conventions... some that seem odd at first but become quite valuable as you use the remote. The first is the concept of a "Navigation Pad" on the iphone... an area of the touchscreen marked out for you to use almost like a trackpad on a laptop. Flick your finger left to move your on-screen cursor left, flick-right to go right, etc., mimicking your typical 4-way cursor buttons on a normal remote. Hold and drag in a direction to move quickly that way on screen. It's harder to explain than it is to use, but it's quite impressive. (One notable ommission is that in list views Remotescape can issue "line-up" and "line-down" commands, even letting you hold those commands for faster movement, but does NOT yet offer "page-up" and "page-down" via the NavPad... so moving through very long lists can be painfully slow... and far slower than a properly-programmed handheld remote may be.)

framed_remote_01.jpg

There are some quirks to the UI that may or may not bother other users. As one small example (around which I had a spirited email debate with the Remotescape team) is the "flick" orientation. Iphone apps tend to use the flick-motion to control the list you're seeing... you're flicking the list up, meaning your cursor is going down the list. Seems very natural on iphones once you use your contacts list or any other long list. Remotescape follows more conventional setup where flicking down means you want to move your cursor down. That looks right when you're looking up at your display device. Down action with finger = down action on screen. But it's the opposite of iphone apps, where "flick down" = I want to push the list down = I want to move my cursor UP. I can see their point of view, but I'm still not used to it on Remotescape and constantly find I'm moving things the wrong way from what I intended. Maybe more use will make me comfortable with it, or maybe I'm just weird.

But, those are minor quibbles all, and some may well be addressed with future Kaleidescape system updates or Remotescape app updates.

In all, for movies, the remote is very nice with some features that you won't see elsewhere, and you may well find it becomes the remote you want in-hand during movie watching. It's very simple and easy to use and looks very... well... Kaleidescape!

Music Control:
OK, this is where this remote really takes off. While some may find that it can't (yet?) fully replace another remote for movies, it very well may be the best interface yet developed for Kaleidescape Music control.

Flick through your movie collection by covers, artist, genre, or lists... just like you expect on screen, but now with great iPod "flick" and drag functionality. While music is playing, you get the full cover art, the location in the track and album, the now-playing list. TILT your iPhone at any time to see all your music in cover-art mode...

framed_coverart_01.jpg

My favorite clever remotescape trick? Just shake your iphone to shuffle the cover-art view! But of course! Love that...

You can of course search through your music by key word... in a title, band, album, etc. You can browse by artist, title, genre, composer, mix albums, your newest albums. Everything you typically do with your onscreen interface.

framed_music_02.jpg
snap_music_02.jpg
snap_nowplaying_02.jpg
music_collage_01.jpg

It's a remarkably clean and thorough interface for finding and controlling your music. The menus are well laid-out, the search works very quickly, you can navigate your collection any way you like, and then easily return to your now-playing list. Music fans are going to go nuts for this... it's just simply the best way I've seen to quickly control your music.

There are a few nits I have with the interface, but they're pretty minor, and again, you may feel differently. First - the search is very powerful, but there's no universal search box as I'd like. I'd like to quickly have a box where I can type "Clapton" or "Concerto" or "Bohemian" and have it search across album, song, and artist. As it is, there are several screens that have a search box, but you have to keep reminding yourself what page you're on when you enter a search term. It will only search the screen you're on, so if you're deep into looking at a particular genre or subgenre, the search will only apply to that genre. That may be just what you wanted. But I kept thinking the search would be universal. To search for your clapton music, you MUST go into "Artists" and then you can search for Clapton. Now, they were smart enough to also include the artists names in the "Albums by Title" list, so "Clapton" does works as a search term there and finds "Reptile - Eric Clapton" as well as "Cream of Eric Clapton - Eric Clapton". So it does work well once you're in any of your music lists.

I had also hoped to be able to explore all the music metadata that Kaleidescape offers - like album reviews, artist bios, etc. on the iphone, but it doesn't (yet?) do this. (This goes back to what information Kaleidescape has thought to provide via TCP/IP as your system operates. Again, we can hope that this changes in the future.) Would be nice to be in a room with no display, and not just control my music but explore it, read the data and info, etc., just as I often do onscreen when I play K music now. Similarly, if I wanted to really pick nits, I'd say that it would be nice if you could re-order your mix albums using the standard iPhone "edit/reorder" methodology like you do for your phone lists, stock quotes, etc. But that's really not a problem - rare to want to do that on a remote... seems better suited for doing via a web or on-screen interface.

That said, all in all, I really can't find much fault in the music side... it's great, and alone is worth the price of the app and an iphone! Having a handy device JUST for searching my music is quite nice... and I definitely now find myself using the iPhone to control the music in my living room and dining room, where I have no screen and formerly relied on my RF handheld remote.

Overall Thoughts:
Remotescape really is a remarkable achievement. It's a new and simple way to control and interact with your Kaleidescape in ways that used to cost thousands of dollars in programming fees alone and involve expensive proprietary hardware. Now with an iPhone or iPod Touch for just a few hundred bucks, plus the very reasonable cost of this software app in the Apple AppStore, you have 80%-90% of those features. The remote UI is clean and easy to navigate, and offers some great feature. I expect the software to continue to improve and some of the nits and quirks I've pointed out may well be addressed.

But those faults are very minor and the software is something that I expect a very high percentage of Kaleidescape owners will purchase and love it. Congrats to Remotescape for bringing this to market... it's something we've all been waiting for!

I'll try to post more thoughts when I have more time and play with the final relase a bit more. Looking forward to hearing thoughts from others of you.

--josh

Excellent write-up Josh, thanks for taking the time to post that information. The app really looks great and even with the limits you mentioned, it is IMO a very useful app for K owners. I showed my wife this post and she immediately indicated it was time to move to iPhone.:D

Jim

Should have mentioned one other key piece of data. The app is $59.99 - very reasonable in my mind for what you get and for the amazing amount of work that's gone into this application.

It's apparently available as of today in the App Store.

It's apparently available as of today in the App Store.

Actually it's not available yet - we still need to release it to the App Store. Might take a day or two. We'll post here when it goes live.
--DanC.

Thanks Dan, that explains it. Attempts to locate the App. on the site didn't work.

Jim

Actually it's not available yet - we still need to release it to the App Store. Might take a day or two. We'll post here when it goes live.
--DanC.
Whoops, sorry to have jumped the gun. I'm in the Canadian Rockies skiing and can't actually use my iphone so wasn't able to check.

Just to be clear, I may have prematurely said it was available in the App Store, but I didn't announce it here on this forum prematurely without permission. The team at Remotescape did give me permission to post this early (and exclusive) review here when I did. Thanks Dan & Dan!

Last edited:
It's now available

For all those wondering, the Remotescape application is now available for download.

Looks pretty good.

Jay

I know a lot of thought went into the price. It seems very steep when you think of the world of iphone apps, including silly stuff for free or $1-2. But when you think of it as a well designed remote, doing much of what a very expensive Crestron system can do, then it seems extremely reasonable. Keep in mind also, that Dan and Dan are building a small startup out of this app... it's not done by Kaleidescape itself, where it could be partially subsidized by the equipment sales. (like Sonos does). The income from this app pays these guys and their team... and I hope to see them make a success of this so they can continue to innovate. While it probably doesn't factor into anyone's price/value consideration, remember that Apple keeps 30% of this for themselves.

I hope that enough users find it well worth the price, that there's a real incentive for Remotescape to thrive and grow and develop other innovative enhancements and new products.

--josh

I think in terms of an iphone/ipod touch app 60 is steep but in terms of what looks like a great alternative to a full fledged touch screen remote or even in addition to an existing system its quite reasonable. I want it so I can control my music over wifi when I am working in the garage or at the pool. Sweet!!

I've played with it a few days, and I still feel the $60 was steep. At about $25 bucks I think this would have been perfect. I suppose I can trick myself into thinking I only paid 30 since I copied it to my GF's iPhone as well, but still...

As for the app, other than it needed a tad bit more organization (especially on the trackpad screen), it's sort of impractical unless you have your phone set to never go to sleep. I've used it while watching things and if I want to skip through something or back up, I have to wake the phone back up, reconnect to wifi (lord forbid you have two wifi spots in your house, just hope it connects to the right one -- perhaps they should have automatic reconnection to your preferred network on resume) and then get back to business.

The same holds true if you're using it to control inhome audio (we have speakers wired throughout the house). It's actually easier turning my computer speakers way up and using the itunes remote app.

I DO look forward to the summer though. We have outside speakers that connect to the kscape. It sucks putting music on then having to run to the house to change it if something comes on that you don't want to hear -- or lugging your remotes around. With this app I'll always have the remote on hand since I've usually got my phone on hand. It just won't be as quick to use ;)

*edit* regarding your post josh... I understand that, but remember that not everyone does. Very few people make buying decisions based on how it affects the seller. So unless he plans to only sell to people here, or post their company story on the appstore page to tug at some heartstrings, they should consider repricing it a bit.

I'm all for supporting the little guy, but look at how few people support indie artists, indie writers, indie labels etc. Make it available to the masses (which, admittedly in the Kscape circle is still pretty small) and you tend to do better.

The problem I see is what masses are there when you are taking about the installed base of K owners. It can't be that many people....

The problem I see is what masses are there when you are taking about the installed base of K owners. It can't be that many people....

Make it available to the masses (which, admittedly in the Kscape circle is still pretty small)

Which I've already stated, however, not every kscape owner is on this forum. they're likely going to market this thing to the outside world, and I'm petty sure the advertisement won't be littered with "support our cause" messages.

regarding your post josh... I understand that, but remember that not everyone does. Very few people make buying decisions based on how it affects the seller. So unless he plans to only sell to people here, or post their company story on the appstore page to tug at some heartstrings, they should consider repricing it a bit.

I'm all for supporting the little guy, but look at how few people support indie artists, indie writers, indie labels etc. Make it available to the masses (which, admittedly in the Kscape circle is still pretty small) and you tend to do better.
Absolutely true - I meant to say that I know people don't consider the seller's economics, people should (and do) only look at whether something they bought provides enough value given what they paid. It's the same with our Kaleidescape systems... many people will say it's a ridiculous amount to pay for a "fancy DVD player", but we find that the value is there for us. I personally find the same for Remotescape - it's not perfect, but it fills a need for me and works very well. I think $60 is a fair price, but everyone has different needs, system requirements, preferences and budgets.

Yep. If nothing, it'll be great come summer time. I can just leave it on a dock and get rid of the other wifi connection or something.

Apple Remote

Hi,

I'm a little surprised that anything that might decently act as a remote for a K owner on an iPhone for $60 would be 'too expensive' if it works!!!

That being said, if this App really works...WOW!!! I cannot wait to try it!!!

Thanks, Steven

Back