• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Remotescape! Kaleidscape control from iPhone & iPod Touch

...If you have more information about the RFX9600 control protocol, feel free to PM me and I'll take a look.

Correct. My Pronto guru tells me Pronto probably talks to the serial extender by UDP packets. However the protocol is not in public release so we're snookered with this approach.

However, there is a solution available through CBUS (Clipsal's home automation system).

Remotescape can connect to CBUS via TCP/IP (either to a C-Gate server which supports multiple connections, or to a dedicated CNI which supports a single connection). CBUS has an infra-red output device which can store up to 200 discrete IR codes. So Remotescape connects to CBUS, tells CBUS which command to send, CBUS sends the command to the device, device reacts accordingly. Simple! With this approach the actual IR commands are stored in CBUS. Remotescape is just triggering a particular "CBUS event".

This can also be done similarly as a serial command in CBUS using a PCI.

If the serial port of the AV processor is already connected to a control system via RS232, which in my case the Halcro SSP is connected to the Pronto RFX9600, I can still control it with Remotescape through the CBUS/IR route. So I can control my volume both in the normal way with the Pronto, and with Remotescape.

This would make Remotescape a very powerful app because then it would be able to control lights, blinds, curtains, shutters, screens, HVAC, and anything else connected to CBUS.

The CBUS TCP/IP protocol is very well documented. I'll track down a copy and send it to you. If Remotescape could penetrate the CBUS market then you'd open up a huge customer base.

Last edited:
Remotescape can connect to CBUS via TCP/IP (either to a C-Gate server which supports multiple connections, or to a dedicated CNI which supports a single connection). CBUS has an infra-red output device which can store up to 200 discrete IR codes. So Remotescape connects to CBUS, tells CBUS which command to send, CBUS sends the command to the device, device reacts accordingly. Simple! With this approach the actual IR commands are stored in CBUS. Remotescape is just triggering a particular "CBUS event".

This can also be done similarly as a serial command in CBUS using a PCI.

If the serial port of the AV processor is already connected to a control system via RS232, which in my case the Halcro SSP is connected to the Pronto RFX9600, I can still control it with Remotescape through the CBUS/IR route. So I can control my volume both in the normal way with the Pronto, and with Remotescape.

Yes, that should all work just fine.

This would make Remotescape a very powerful app because then it would be able to control lights, blinds, curtains, shutters, screens, HVAC, and anything else connected to CBUS.

For now, we're just adding volume control buttons -- it's not a complete home control solution by any means. But perhaps we can add more customization over time.

Can you please PM me the email address to send the C-GATE protocol to? Ta.
Edit: Oops, you already did...thanks.

Remotescape adds Volume Control

First, I would very much like some type of volume control made available through Remotescape.

Just a quick note to let everyone in the thread know that Remotescape launched the volume control feature today. You can read more about it on our website at www.remotescape.com.

In short, you use our new installer web portal to set up the TCP/IP commands required to control the volume/muting in your A/V stack, and then Remotescape does the rest. Here's a volume control overview.
--Dan.

Very nice Dan!:)

Jim

Let's hope to see an iPad version soon! Or an update to the current version that enables (via settings menu) full function of Remotescape in either landscape or portrait mode for wall mount applications. And let's hope K comes to the party so we can display movie coverart in Remotescape! And it would also be nice if we could configure more "volume" buttons in Remotescape to do other stuff, like lighting control, surround sound mode select etc etc.

BTW, here is my wall mounted iPad running Remotescape
DSCF0013.jpg

Yes. The Kaleidescape music/movie database is what it is...entering the UPC didn't result in many of my missing titles ultimately appearing in the db. It will mean more work on my part, when I get the time, and a scanner.

Yes. The Kaleidescape music/movie database is what it is...entering the UPC didn't result in many of my missing titles ultimately appearing in the db. It will mean more work on my part, when I get the time, and a scanner.

Scanner? No need for a scanner... just go to google image search and type in the name of the album... you'll find great scans of pretty much any album/DVD cover ever made... just pick a good one paying attention to picking one with highest resolution. right-click, save it to your computer, upload it to Kscape web interface! Takes <2 minutes per missing album cover.

Example:
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&h...ho+by+numbers"+cd&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Just be careful not to right-click and save the little Google THUMBNAIL images you see. (my wife keeps making this mistake) That would give you the low-res thumbnail as your cover... you want HI res, especially for m-class devices which can make use of very high res images. You need to click through on the thumbnails to find the actual full-size image, then save that.

Sounds like I'm similar to Poindexter... I can't stand even a single missing album or DVD cover on my screen. Even have to go create decent ones for my home movies and non-commercial CDs right after they're imported to Kscape.

Last edited:
I've done that already. That's why you can see the STING Greatest Hits 2 disc album with 2 sets of coverart showing on the iPad. The Kaleidescape music db didn't recognize the album, so instead of disc A and disc B coming under the one coverart, there's 2 (which is annoying). The titles showing without coverart there is no coverart available on the net, or none that I've been able to find. I've searched for them all, hence why I need a scanner.

Edit: If anybody knows how to import an unrecognized multi-disc CD set under the one coverart image please let me know. Selecting the multi-disc button in the web UI prior to import doesn't seem to put all discs under the one coverart image. They get listed separately under their own blank coverart. I've got lots of examples and I'd really like to tidy things up. I have the same problem with DVD's, but at least I've sent those unrecognized discs to K for bookmarking. Hopefully once that is done, if the system is smart enough, it will reorganize all those double coverart images and put multi-disc DVD sets under the one coverart image.

For those in the US, you might be surprised how much content manufactured outside the US is not recognized by the Kaleidescape movie/music db's. About 1/4 of my content was not recognized, and of those unrecognized discs, about 1/4 of those I was unable to find any coverart examples on the net. Even popular titles like THE LION KING, ALLADIN, THE LITTLE MERMAID, ICE AGE 3, CARS, THE MUMMY RETURNS and GLADIATOR (all R4) are not recognized by the Kaleidescape movie db. Which is why Kaleidescape are only distributing their new iPhone App within the US.

Last edited:
There should be a button to select the album as part of a multi-disc set.

If you send your music albums into Kaleidescape, they will add them to their database and that will fix your issues and also help increase their hit rate for other users.

There should be a button to select the album as part of a multi-disc set.

There is, and I used it, but it put all of my multi disc sets under separate coverarts. That's why you see the STING coverart twice in my iPad photo, amongst others.

Regarding sending CD's to Kaleidescape, I thought the bookmarking service only applied to unrecognized DVD's?

I found that iTunes CDDB recognized a lot more of my CD's than the Kaleidescape music/movie db did. I ran the TuneUp (TM) App for iTunes and it found many of the CD's that iTunes didn't recognize and it automatically updated all my missing coverarts and track titles. Now if Kaleidescape and the TuneUp people could collaborate on a similar App to help tidy up a Kaleidescape system then that would be wonderful. It really was like magic seeing TuneUp work in iTunes for the first time, it fixed up 80%+ of my missing iTunes Library data. But I figure the demand for such a thing would only be outside the US, and thus a limited market, and thus unlikely to ever see the light of day. But TuneUp for Kaleidescape would be wonderful.

Edit: If anybody knows how to import an unrecognized multi-disc CD set under the one coverart image please let me know. Selecting the multi-disc button in the web UI prior to import doesn't seem to put all discs under the one coverart image. They get listed separately under their own blank coverart.
Don't they get thrown under a single listing/cover if you enter the same UPC for them... as long as none of the discs are recognized anyway?

Remotescape for iPad

By popular demand, Remotescape now also offers a native iPad app designed for the iPad's larger screen!

You can find out more at the updated Remotescape website or go straight to the App Store.
--Dan.

By popular demand, Remotescape now also offers a native iPad app designed for the iPad's larger screen!

You can find out more at the updated Remotescape website or go straight to the App Store.
--Dan.

Looks very nice. If someone buys the Ipad version will it also work on the Iphone? I know the iphone version will not work on the Ipad

The iPhone version works perfectly well on the iPad, I've been using Remotescape for iPhone on the iPad since the iPad was first released. It works so well I'm not even tempted to upgrade to the iPad version!!

Looks very nice. If someone buys the Ipad version will it also work on the Iphone? I know the iphone version will not work on the Ipad

No, the two apps are separate -- the iPad version works only on the iPad.

This FAQ and the next one have more details.
--Dan.

The iPhone version works perfectly well on the iPad, I've been using Remotescape for iPhone on the iPad since the iPad was first released. It works so well I'm not even tempted to upgrade to the iPad version!!

Do you press the 2X button to enlarge it or keep it small on the ipad?
Doesn't the enlarge button degrade the images?

Back