• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New kOS release supports disc cataloging on Strato

The Members on our Forum that own K likely represent less than 10% of all K owners. Most owner's lifestyles do not allow time for Forums, any Forum.

Jim

The new Kaleidescape disc to digital program using your own drive connected to a Strato player is an absolute win. Here's my edited video on the topic.
Great video. As soon as I get the update I will connect my ASUS drive and start the process. Quick question, was any set up needed on the drive or did you just plug it in and connect to the Strato C with the cable?

Great video. As soon as I get the update I will connect my ASUS drive and start the process. Quick question, was any set up needed on the drive or did you just plug it in and connect to the Strato C with the cable?

Thanks! No setup. Just plug and play. If the drive is plugged in and turned on, the Strato will automatically go into disc identification mode. If the drive is off or unplugged, the Strato goes right back to normal mode. It's immediate.

Thanks! No setup. Just plug and play. If the drive is plugged in and turned on, the Strato will automatically go into disc identification mode. If the drive is off or unplugged, the Strato goes right back to normal mode. It's immediate.
Great thanks!. I've set up the drive and it's all connect. Just waiting on the update.

Overall, this is a very nice feature and change to the platform. Folks chasing down old hardware just to catalog has been a frustration. Kudos!

It would have been very nice, of course, to see 4K cataloging, but extending the existing capability like this is better than the alternative. I'm glad I never sprung for an expensive used Alto again. I came close a few times.

Can you comment on pricing for the offers?

I have noticed what looks like more standardized and higher pricing on digital offers ($14.99 -> $13.42 and $19.99 -> $15.38/$14.60). Has the pricing model for offers and the deep discounts established some time ago changed in preparation for this new redemption feature?
From what I can tell, this higher price seems to be on some, not all, of the new 4K releases. My hope is as the release ages, the price will go down as I have sometimes seen previously.

This is really good news! That means that I can continue buying my physical disc and catalog my movies with an external drive. Best of both world.

I was curious, so I threw in an Incredibles 4K blu-ray into my LG WH16NS40 that has the older firmware which still "unofficially" reads 4K blu-rays (enclosed in the OWC external drive enclosure), and it read/cataloged it just fine. It wasn't recognized in the Kaleidescape D2D library, but it cataloged it as a normal blu-ray with the name of the movie on the disc, and the option to enter a barcode via the web ui, similar to how unrecognized standard blu-rays show up. Now obviously, there isn't the concept of a 4K blu-ray in the store, so even if Kaleidescape will match the movie to it after we provide the UPC, there still wouldn't be any additional discount beyond the standard Blu-ray Disc to Digital price.

The one benefit to this would be the increasing number of 4K blu-rays that don't come with a standard blu-ray, could theoretically be cataloged through this method.

Got the update this morning. Just got home and cataloged 25 blu-ray movies in about 15 mins. K recognized all of them, even those not currently in the K store and from multiple studios. I had 21 update offers from the 25 discs. Very impressed with this new feature, they really did a great job with this update. My wallet will not be so happy, but most of the offers were in the $3.14 to $4.92 range.

If anyone else has the 4k of WarGames, can you see if the Blu-Ray catalogs as Blu-Ray or DVD, I tried it twice and both times it sees it as a DVD.

I was curious, so I threw in an Incredibles 4K blu-ray into my LG WH16NS40 that has the older firmware which still "unofficially" reads 4K blu-rays (enclosed in the OWC external drive enclosure), and it read/cataloged it just fine. It wasn't recognized in the Kaleidescape D2D library, but it cataloged it as a normal blu-ray with the name of the movie on the disc, and the option to enter a barcode via the web ui, similar to how unrecognized standard blu-rays show up. Now obviously, there isn't the concept of a 4K blu-ray in the store, so even if Kaleidescape will match the movie to it after we provide the UPC, there still wouldn't be any additional discount beyond the standard Blu-ray Disc to Digital price.

The one benefit to this would be the increasing number of 4K blu-rays that don't come with a standard blu-ray, could theoretically be cataloged through this method.
It would be good to test if it really does just give credit for HD or there develops a UHD-4k tier. Either way, definitely good to hear there is a cure for Paramount syndrome.

Of course none of my external drives are supported. Ordered a new one to be here tomorrow. I wonder how much the cost of those four models will go up once this news is more widely released.
I actually tried a drive that isn't listed and it works so as long as your drive is powered I would try it to see if it works before buying something else.

Back