• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kaleidescape Solution to Meld Physical Discs with Strato 4K Movie Player

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, DVD playback is not as easy as you say. If a DVD is not recognized after import it will only play in the region specific player. This will occur when the only play option is "play disc." If you try you will receive the message that the disc will not play because it is the wrong region. I am not home right now so I can't recall the exact wording. Basically if discs are recognized and bookmarked, they play on any player. If not, then they are region specific. I have seen this many times when I forget to use the right player.

Blu-ray playback also has region related playback issues playing only on the region specific player when the playback option is "play disc." Again I am not in a position right now to supply details.

Perhaps my system is not doing everything it is supposed to. I will give you more specifics when I am home.

Thanks!

Wayne

This post relates to using the new switch to integrate a Strata with an M-500 when there are both region 1/A and 2/B M-500s in the system.

Hi Mike,

I have finally had a little time to investigate the above. DVDs seem to work as you describe and I have not been able to find any problems playing imported DVD content, recognized or bookmarked or not, from either player. I apologize to everyone for any confusion of the matter.

However, I have been able to reproduce a Blu-ray playback problem with the discussed region issues. The other day I imported a region B Blu-ray, which now resides in my DV700. I tried to play it using my region A M-500 and got the error message stating:Warning! This disc will only play in Region B. Switching to the region B M-500 solves the problem.

Of note, this disc was not recognized by the Movie Guide. I entered the UPC but as it is a very recent import, the Movie Guide has not yet processed it. Similar region B discs that have been processed do seem to play just fine. So, I think the problem is limited only to discs recently imported and not recognized. Basically, it is like trying to play the actual disc in a player of the wrong region. I realize the Movie Guide team is swamped, but hopefully they will be able to catch up with some of these titles, as I have a few that are now over 2 months since import.

I hope this helps clarify the issue for those concerned.

Wayne

Last edited:
Perhaps I have misunderstood the post and the integration is doing strange things due to the player paring needed - To copy a DVD to a server (Premier line at least) it needs to be imported from a player that matches the DVD region of the disk, it will then once imported play back on any player regardless of region, recognition or bookmarking etc. For Blu-Ray disks they can be imported on any player but will only play if there is a player on the system that matches the region - it doesn't have to be the player playing the movie.

Yes, you are correct, except in the case above where the blu-ray was not recognized yet, it will only play from the correct region player, not from any others. Hope this clears it up. Not that most discs behave this way, but some could be a problem at least temporarily until the movie guide team has processed the title.

Wayne

Strange as never experienced that with blu-ray disks not playing as you described as I have several that are unrecognised and they still play. A god job really as the the movie guide team and disk recognition often never happens unless I send the disks to K.

Mike, will the "Parental Control" command still determine what content is shown on the OSD once a Premiere player is paired with a Strato, as it does now for stand-alone Premiere systems?

Another clarification, so as I understand the upgrade plan, to distribute 4K content to separate rooms or zones in a home, each room that will show a user's entire library of video content (including 4K movies etc.) must have an individual Strato paired with a separate M-class player. In other words, a single paired Strato and Premiere player can't be distributed throughout multiple rooms in a home system. Is this correct? Seems like this could become quite complex and expensive if someone has multiple rooms with multiple 4K displays.

JohnJ, I also use my Premiere system and its onscreen display extensively for music playback in our home A/V setup. The music playback capabilities of K were a very attractive feature when I purchased my system and one that I have enjoyed a great deal. I do have an M700 and an M300 so, although not ideal, one could be paired with a Strato and one could be left as is for music playback.

Mike, will the "Parental Control" command still determine what content is shown on the OSD once a Premiere player is paired with a Strato, as it does now for stand-alone Premiere systems?
Yes it does. Strato only shows content that falls within the current parental control level, regardless of whether that content is local to the Strato or on the other system. You just need to set the Strato's parental control level to whatever your preference is. You do this in the Strato's on-screen Settings place, and you can set a passcode that must be entered before the parental control level can be changed.

Note that the parental control mechanism is a little different on Strato, in terms of how you go about changing the player's current level if you want to watch something at a different level. Specifically, Premiere players support just typing a code almost anywhere in the OSD, while with Strato, you need to bring up the Parental Controls option from the main menu. Still very simple.

Another clarification, so as I understand the upgrade plan, to distribute 4K content to separate rooms or zones in a home, each room that will show a user's entire library of video content (including 4K movies etc.) must have an individual Strato paired with a separate M-class player. In other words, a single paired Strato and Premiere player can't be distributed throughout multiple rooms in a home system. Is this correct? Seems like this could become quite complex and expensive if someone has multiple rooms with multiple 4K displays.
You could always connect the Co-Star switch's output to an HDMI matrix for distribution to multiple rooms. Assuming that you have a matrix that can reliably distribute 4K HDR, of course.

This post relates to using the new switch to integrate a Strata with an M-500 when there are both region 1/A and 2/B M-500s in the system.

<snip>
The other day I imported a region B Blu-ray, which now resides in my DV700. I tried to play it using my region A M-500 and got the error message stating:Warning! This disc will only play in Region B. Switching to the region B M-500 solves the problem.

Of note, this disc was not recognized by the Movie Guide.
<snip>
That's the issue. If you go into your browser interface and edit the movie's information, you can select the Blu-ray disc's region. Note that this doesn't override the disc's actual region or anything. It just lets the player know what the real region is, so it can do the necessary region management before it starts playing the movie.

Is the beta program already over for the switches as the Cedia news stated they are now shipping? Would like Mike to confirm. Thanks. SJ

Looking for a clear answer to this question/scenario.

* I have a Strato.
* I have an Alto.
* I do NOT have a costar switch.
* I have a movie cataloged into my K UI that I own on disc.
* On the Strato, I go to play that movie.
* What happens?

Will it tell me to insert the disc in the Alto? Once the disc is inserted, can the Strato display the movie playing off the Alto's disc drive?

Or is a costar required in this setup to maintain a single UI through the Strato?

A catalogued movie from a physical disk would not show up on the Strato GUI without costar. With costar, it would show up. You would have to insert the disk into the Alto to play it. The Strato info screen actually states "insert disk to play". In my case, it tells me it is stored on my disk server. SJ

My Co-star switch arrives Tuesday! My units have not updated to a new version of software (beta or otherwise).

Should I contact support on Monday to push some software through, or is there an automatic queue?

Kevin D.

You dealer should have provided your serial numbers of your units when they were ordered. Mine was automatic from K. SJ

My second Strato arrived and my Co-Star Switch. I connected as instructed to my M500 player, however, no pairing tab is visible and software is not correct version. Any suggestions?

My second Strato arrived and my Co-Star Switch. I connected as instructed to my M500 player, however, no pairing tab is visible and software is not correct version. Any suggestions?

The software in both Premiere and Encore systems must be updated before you can pair the two systems. I would contact your dealer or K. support to get this done for you. I don't believe this is a software version for general release as of yet. It should be pushed out to you after supplying them with the serial numbers. They will be able to get this straightened out for you. Maybe some hold up because of CEDIA last week.

Wayne

The software in both Premiere and Encore systems must be updated before you can pair the two systems. I would contact your dealer or K. support to get this done for you. I don't believe this is a software version for general release as of yet. It should be pushed out to you after supplying them with the serial numbers. They will be able to get this straightened out for you. Maybe some hold up because of CEDIA last week.

Wayne

Thank you...much appreciated. I know Jim gave them the serial #s when ordered so I'll try reaching out to support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, all! Thought you might enjoy reading my review of Co-Star. I was fortunate enough to be sent serial number 00001, so I was early on the beta list! :)

http://www.residentialsystems.com/p...aleidescapes-costar-movie-server-switch/89838

Cheers!
John

I have a question...if you currently have two Stratos in a 4k system sharing content and then a premiere system and want to join using Co-Star do you have to first split the Stratos away from each other so they are no longer sharing content? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the Strato content would continue to be shared, but only the paired Strato would be able to see/play the Premiere content. I don't believe you would lose any of your current Strato functionality in the other (non-paired) zone.

Back