• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kaleidescape Solution to Meld Physical Discs with Strato 4K Movie Player

If any one of you would like access to the Switch early, please PM, call, or email me.

Jim

Sounds great!! I do have a question -- I have 9 TVs and both an Encore system and a Premier system. All 9 currently have a directly connected Strato-C (so, 9 Strato-Cs). I will only have space to add an M300 to 4 of those TVs (I also have 2 M300s that are currently shared across all the TVs using a video switching system).

I assume I will be able to buy 4 Co-Stars and connect them to both an M300 and Strato-C for the 4 TVs where I have space, and will then continue to have a local Strato-C and use the shared M300s for the other 5 TVs.

Do you see any issues with this setup?

Also -- is the Co-Star available for purchase now? If not, do you know when it will be available?

So what does this product do to facilitate Strato and DV700 users to make appropriate use of the DV700?? If nothing, will the product to be announced at CEDIA address it?

Nothing and my understanding is No it won't.

If you are correct (sure hope you are not), then basically, K has sold $5000.00 boat anchors (aka DV700's) to quite a few people who purchased the Strato/DV700 combination based upon what turns out to be totally false promises.

That would just really, really, really suck. I am just having difficulty actually believing K is that kind of company and would just leave those folks hanging. From a company that prides itself (and rightfully so) in providing top of class products, to abandon those users is completely classless - regardless of their past (our current) financial issues.

Let's just hope that they come through.

Co-Star!

If you own Premiere, and a Strato, this Switch will put a smile on your face, and if you don't yet own a Strato, now is the time to make the purchase!!

Jim

Will the switch work with an Alto/Premier combo?

Kevin D.

When time allows perhaps Jim could explain exactly what the switch will do? For example, will it allow a Strato to play Blu-ray recordings from a 3U server or will it only allow you to play a physical disk stored in a vault?

Sounds great!! I do have a question -- I have 9 TVs and both an Encore system and a Premier system. All 9 currently have a directly connected Strato-C (so, 9 Strato-Cs). I will only have space to add an M300 to 4 of those TVs (I also have 2 M300s that are currently shared across all the TVs using a video switching system).

I assume I will be able to buy 4 Co-Stars and connect them to both an M300 and Strato-C for the 4 TVs where I have space, and will then continue to have a local Strato-C and use the shared M300s for the other 5 TVs.

Do you see any issues with this setup?

Also -- is the Co-Star available for purchase now? If not, do you know when it will be available?

You will need the following at each display location if you want to see all content from both system on a single OSD.

1. Strato (any) (it is used for 4K playback and it controls the OSD)
2. M-class Player (M300/M500/M700)
3. The Switch Kit ($495)

The Kit is not officially available yet (but very soon...within weeks), BUT, I can add "some" users now (help folks get one early).

NOTE: The Switch as a price of $495, anyone that has a dealer should contact their dealer directly and have them order you one. For those without a dealer, or in cases where the dealer is unresponsive, I'm happy to process an early order.

There are a limited number currently available, so first come first served.

Jim

So what does this product do to facilitate Strato and DV700 users to make appropriate use of the DV700?? If nothing, will the product to be announced at CEDIA address it?

As already noted above, this Switch was developed to integrate the Premiere and Encore products (but see below), not to support Strato/Vault.

One additional area helped by the Switch is the ability to integrate the content on a Strato, Alto, and Vault. With the Switch, you can assign the Strato to HDMI 1, and the Alto/Vault combo to HDMI 2. This will allow ALL content, including the content in the Vault, to be displayed and played back from a single OSD (thru the Strato)

Jim

If you are correct (sure hope you are not), then basically, K has sold $5000.00 boat anchors (aka DV700's) to quite a few people who purchased the Strato/DV700 combination based upon what turns out to be totally false promises.

That would just really, really, really suck. I am just having difficulty actually believing K is that kind of company and would just leave those folks hanging. From a company that prides itself (and rightfully so) in providing top of class products, to abandon those users is completely classless - regardless of their past (our current) financial issues.

Let's just hope that they come through.

First, there are only a few (not "quite a few") people that bought the Vault to use exclusively with the Strato, and K has plans to address the concerns of those few people, so they are not being abandoned. There will not be a Strato/Vault integration like the Alto/Vault. Too many hurdles get past, and resource allocation is currently focused on improvements that affect all/most systems.

I get that a few people are still frustrated, but it needs to be remembered that K indicated they were working on the integration back when they had many more engineers than they do now. The restructuring resulted in a shifting of priorities, and K had to decide which projects provided the best overall support to owners. Although they indicated they were still working on it after the restructuring, it was never a given that it could be done, especially given the current contracts and other legal requirements.

The "false promises" comment reminds me of my children. Whenever I tell my children "I'll try," they interpret that as a promise. I never make promises unless it's guaranteed, and I can say for certain that K operates the same way. They did not, and would not ever, make a promise that a certain technology would be made available. They always say the same thing in this regard, "we are working on it." If someone has a specific name at K that "promised" them the Strato/Vault was coming, then please provide the name (second request, didn't get a name the first time I asked). If a dealer promised it was coming, that's on the dealer. (but K is still willing to work with those few affected).

Also keep in mind that orders are placed on the Extranet by dealers, this is almost completely automated, and with the number of daily orders, it is not possible for K to call dealer's to confirm how the component is being used, they leave that to the dealers. In the end, this will all be moot, because those few people will be taken care of going forward.

Jim

Will the switch work with an Alto/Premier combo?

Kevin D.

No, it requires a Strato because the Strato controls the OSD.

Jim

First, there are only a few (not "quite a few") people that bought the Vault to use exclusively with the Strato, and K has plans to address the concerns of those few people, so they are not being abandoned. There will not be a Strato/Vault integration like the Alto/Vault. Too many hurdles get past, and resource allocation is currently focused on improvements that affect all/most systems.

I get that a few people are still frustrated, but it needs to be remembered that K indicated they were working on the integration back when they had many more engineers than they do now. The restructuring resulted in a shifting of priorities, and K had to decide which projects provided the best overall support to owners. Although they indicated they were still working on it after the restructuring, it was never a given that it could be done, especially given the current contracts and other legal requirements.

The "false promises" comment reminds me of my children. Whenever I tell my children "I'll try," they interpret that as a promise. I never make promises unless it's guaranteed, and I can say for certain that K operates the same way. They did not, and would not ever, make a promise that a certain technology would be made available. They always say the same thing in this regard, "we are working on it." If someone has a specific name at K that "promised" them the Strato/Vault was coming, then please provide the name (second request, didn't get a name the first time I asked). If a dealer promised it was coming, that's on the dealer. (but K is still willing to work with those few affected).

Also keep in mind that orders are placed on the Extranet by dealers, this is almost completely automated, and with the number of daily orders, it is not possible for K to call dealer's to confirm how the component is being used, they leave that to the dealers. In the end, this will all be moot, because those few people will be taken care of going forward.

Jim

Great post Jim - thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When time allows perhaps Jim could explain exactly what the switch will do? For example, will it allow a Strato to play Blu-ray recordings from a 3U server or will it only allow you to play a physical disk stored in a vault?

The Switch has two HDMI Inputs and one HDMI Output. It is designed to accept a Premiere (M-class) player in one HDMI Input, and the Strato in the other HDMI Input. Alternatively, the Switch can also work with the Strato on one HDMI Input and an Alto/Vault on the other Input (this is for those owners that have a Vault connected to an Alto, and a Strato, that also want access for BR playback from the Vault. There is still a question about which component (Alto or Strato) is used during Vault/disc playback, but it should be the Alto. In any case, doesn't matter because playback is essentially seamless.

Blu-ray content on a 3U can only be played back using a Premiere M-Class Player, so in a typical situation where an owner has a Premiere system with M-class player(s), and a Strato, the BR content on the 3U plays thru the M-Class player.

Jim

If you don't mind me continuing this line of questioning, my setup is as follows:

Strato
3U Server
M500 Player
M700 Vault
DV700 Vault

At present, I'm not using the Strato at all because it means I can't play Blu-ray content stored on the 3U. So how would this switch work with my system if at all? The UK distributor doesn't seem anywhere near as clued up as you guys and I think any info would help my installer as well before I make a decision to jump on the switch or not.

The Switch has two HDMI Inputs and one HDMI Output. It is designed to accept a Premiere (M-class) player in one HDMI Input, and the Strato in the other HDMI Input. Alternatively, the Switch can also work with the Strato on one HDMI Input and an Alto/Vault on the other Input (this is for those owners that have a Vault connected to an Alto, and a Strato, that also want access for BR playback from the Vault. There is still a question about which component (Alto or Strato) is used during Vault/disc playback, but it should be the Alto. In any case, doesn't matter because playback is essentially seamless.

Blu-ray content on a 3U can only be played back using a Premiere M-Class Player, so in a typical situation where an owner has a Premiere system with M-class player(s), and a Strato, the BR content on the 3U plays thru the M-Class player.

Jim

The Cinema One (2nd Gen) is expected to work as well, so shouldn't be a problem, but I'll confirm (I don't have one so can't test it). My email is below, feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yes, HDMI 1 for Strato and HDMI 2 for any of the following (based on owners setup)

M300
M500
M700
Alto w/vault
C1 (2nd Gen)

Best regards,

Jim
CINELIFELLC@GMAIL.COM

If you do not have a dealer (or we are your dealer), and have been considering adding a Strato to your Premiere system, contact me for a special deal.

Jim

This is exciting news! Pretty much provides integration between premier and encore and no need to migrate store content to encore and no Disney optin needed. Win all around.

The only downside is the need to add both Strato and m-class player with the switch to every zone. If anyone has less than 3 zones, it is doable. If they have more than 3 zones, they can afford to spend the extra anyway ��

If you don't mind me continuing this line of questioning, my setup is as follows:

Strato
3U Server
M500 Player
M700 Vault
DV700 Vault

At present, I'm not using the Strato at all because it means I can't play Blu-ray content stored on the 3U. So how would this switch work with my system if at all? The UK distributor doesn't seem anywhere near as clued up as you guys and I think any info would help my installer as well before I make a decision to jump on the switch or not.

Based on what I read so far, it's pretty simple.

Get the switch. Connect Strato to hdmi 1 of switch. Connect M500 or M700 to hdmi 2 of switch. The output from switch to your TV/Receiver/processor.
Done.

Your user interface will use the Strato to display all movies playable by Strato (store downloads in strato, alto, terra etc in the same system), present in 3U (all imported movies, store downloads, dvds etc) and playable by M500 together. Choose the movie you want to play, the switch will seamlessly decide whether to use Strato or the m500 to play the movie depending on where it resides without you having to do anything.

Enjoy the movie !

Howdy folks! Boy, this thread sure exploded today. Thanks, Jim, for the very kind words and for fielding customer questions so graciously.

Co-Star is in limited beta right now. We want to make sure everything is right before we open the floodgates on it, obviously.

Since the folks here on KscapeOwners are a mix of dealers and very savvy customers, let me share a couple of things with you that should answer many of your questions.

Here's an FAQ that explains a lot about how Co-Star works and the configurations that are supported. For those of you who are dealers, there's a more detailed document with a bit of extra installation and system planning information in it.

And here's a little demo video that we did just to show you what the setup and playback experience looks like. A few minor things have changed since we made this, but it's still very representative of how things work.

I will do my best to field questions here, but just to set expectations, we are insanely busy with preparations for some very exciting stuff at CEDIA, so I may be a bit intermittent.

If you're interested in being part of the beta, instructions are at the end of the video.

Back