• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: New Kaleidescape "M-Class" players announced, with Blu-ray support

For me the IDV will be the way to go, but only if it does the onboard decoding to LPCM. It will be impossible for me to free up 5U of space in the rack, so hopefully I'll be able to locate it remotely elsewhere and just run a long Cat5 back to the switch, and a long HDMI cable back to the processor. I hope they price it at about what an MDV + M500 costs together, but somehow that wish is likely to be optimistic.

That we hope for: Onboard decode of advanced audio codes and bring about world peace.

Lol!!

We would have all preferred a solution that treated our bluray movies as our DVDs. However, this appears to have been there only choice at the moment. And a creative one with our server acting as a "buffer". I personally will be waiting.

I, on the other hand, think that the new player is pretty nice. Its actual performance has been excellent. The prospect of having future integration of my Blu-Ray titles into the Kaleidescape server remains inviting. So I will continue to pursue the K adventure. As an aside, I really hope that four terabyte cartridges come out before the Vault makes the scene. I am going to need lots more storage.

I really hope that four terabyte cartridges come out before the Vault makes the scene. I am going to need lots more storage.

Agreed. Haven't yet heard of anyone releasing higher capacity drives. Do you know who supplies the drives for K?

I dont know but if memory serves, it took about a year from when the 2tb drives were available before K implemented them. Im looking forward to making the upgrade when its the right time for me.

...Despite my initial reservations I've just ordered an M300, and it's the only M-class player in my system...

The dealer placed the order yesterday, and today my system upgraded to KEAOS 4.0.3, that was quick :)

Agreed. Haven't yet heard of anyone releasing higher capacity drives. Do you know who supplies the drives for K?

The 2T drives are Western Digitals, but add me to the list of folks hoping for larger drive sizes hitting the market in the surprisingly-immediate term.

I think the hard drive manufacturers are running into another issue with the size. The WD 2TB drives have EADS and EARS versions and one has some issues with 32-bit systems. I don't know what the issue was exactly, but it sounded like they needed more than just an o/s update and that some RAID controller cards needed to be updated and more.

4Tb drives would certainly help keep the 1U server applicable for BluRay collections.

Unfortunately I doubt they will be appearing over the horizon in the near future.

OK, you guys drive a tough deal. I will go with the 3TB drives if K will get us the IDV and if the IDV will decode the high res formats to PCM over HDMI.

3Tb drives announced:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/western-digital-ships-3tb-caviar-green-3-5-inch-hard-drive-for/

Question is when/if we can expect this drive or will K wait for 4Tb next year

Too bad those are only the greens. It looks like Seagate also has a single-3T external drive, so hopefully those will get uncaged, but are likely also not enterprise grade disks.

But the jump from 1 to 1.5, and particularly from 1.5 to 2, was fairly short. So I'm gonna hang on reeeeally tight and hope the 4Ts are just over that thar hill.

Seems this is now the place for all M-Class discussion. I have taken the slightly unusual step of upgrading to an M300, unusual because I don't have the capability to import BR content into my Kaleidescape system (I'm waiting on the IDV, early next year, and hopefully it will decode to LPCM!).

My reason for posting is to describe my M300 install, which was problematic, and to wave the flag for Kaleidescape Tech support who were great in getting me up and running.

After hooking up the new M300 I couldn't see it in my components tab of the installer UI, nor could I see it at my-kaleidescape/lskd.html. Basically I couldn't see the player on my network, but I knew it was talking to something because its green ethernet LED was blinking away. I thought maybe it had shipped with an incompatible static IP, but if it had then it should still show up using /lskd.html given the player was connected to the same switch as the server. The player seemed happy enough because its faceplate LED was blue. Next thought was to force it a static IP using a PC and Hyperterminal, but unknown to me the mini-players don't have RS-232 ports. Having then ran out of ideas I called the forever reliable Kaleidescape Tech support for help.

Sure enough the M300 was indeed trying to call home, was set to DHCP, however couldn't get an IP from the DHCP server on my network (which in my case is a DLINK modem/router). Also, the server was seen to be doing weird things on the network. Restarting the player and the server didn't solve the problem. Restarting the modem/router did. From that point the M300 appeared in my components tab, having been assigned a dynamic IP. I could then give it a sensible static IP, and all was well. Or so I thought.

I reconfigured my Pronto remote, which just requires changing the player IP in the parameters tab of the Pronto module, but no luck. Pronto couldn't talk to M300. So at that point I decided to abandon further efforts and go back to my MP2. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the M300 back into the MP2, but then I was confronted with an audio problem, a terrible pink noise like hissing sound during movie playback (but normal audio during music playback). That required another call to Kaleidescape Tech support. At their suggestion, through trial and error with cable swapping, the audio problem was isolated to my Lumagen video processor. It seems that hot-swapping out the M300 for the MP2 on the same Lumagen HDMI input sent the audio side of things crazy. Fortunately rebooting the Lumagen resolved the problem.

So after all this grief, solved by 2 simple reboots, I'm back to square one and using the MP2 (M300 is back in the box for the time being). Lessons learned: try all the simple and obvious things first! I guess I was lulled into a false assumption that just because a Kaleidescape component faceplate is blue, doesn't necessarily mean it's happy on the network. A simple reboot of the modem/router is always worth a try when components aren't talking to each other as expected. When the audio gets all screwed up, look outside the Kaleidescape environment for a solution. A simple reboot of the device doing the audio switching is always worth a try!

It's just that the simple things sometimes aren't obvious until you've had the benefit of hindsight.

Next step is to work out why the Pronto can't talk to the M300, and unfortunately my hindsight is lacking there as well. But I'm in no hurry, not until the IDV becomes available early next year (subject of course to it being at an affordable price point!).

BTW. Thanks Tech support, you're the best! (I know you monitor the forum in silence here).

There are at least two other people having the same problem, including me. Like you, I finally gave up. I couldn't get any help from Philips. They had no clue and blamed K's module, or the Player's software/firmware. Substituting the correct address in the Parameters section should have been enough, but as you noted, that doesn't work. When I have more time, I'll work on the issue and get back to you if it gets resolved. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Jim

Back