• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: New Kaleidescape "M-Class" players announced, with Blu-ray support

As far as I know, and I could be wrong...

1) Will I automatically get upgraded to KEAOS v4.0+?
yes

2) Will I be able to play any blu-ray content imported via the M500 on any of my other 1080p players?
no

3) Will I need to upgrade my other 1080p players with M500 or M300 players in order to play any imported BD content?
yes

4) I have a ton of HD home video. Can I import that content? If not, is that a permanent shortcoming or something to be added soon?
not yet, ultimately yes

5) Can a 1080p player be upgraded to an M300 at a discounted price or does that only apply to M500's?
yes, but it's trade-in value on an M300 is less than what you'd get for it on an M500.

1. Yes, you will get KEAOS 4.0 before you receive your new player.
2. No, the 1080p players cannot play back BluRay content - only the M-class players.
3. Yes, you will need to upgrade each player into M-Class if you want to play imported BD content.
4. You cannot yet import HD user content. That will be added in the future but is not available currently.
5. Yes, you can upgrade a 1080p player into an M300 but the rebate is smaller on an M300 than an M500. Talk to your dealer for the specifics on what it will cost you.

Oops, I suppose I should scroll to the last page first next time...

Hi Folks

I have a dilemma. I too have quite alot of home movies recorded in HD and am also hoping this will be transferable soon but I recently purchased a new JVC Everio HD camcorder that gives me the option to record in AVC1 or MPEG-2.
Which format should I start using to record video to avoid a whole heap of conversions in the (hopefully) near future?

Also what formats are the Kscape HD shorts transfered in?

Many thanks

Panamar.

The system can play MPEG2. Kalahari was stored as MPEG2 at 40mbit. Even the 1080i players could handle it.

AVC would require the M-class players.

Hello

So are there any benefits to recording in AVC in preperation for it being implemented for home movies? I can only see the fact that there are 50Gb disc that can record long clips (or can mpeg2 be used on a bd-r?

I think I need to play with this some more. But being able to take a homemade BD around with me and play it on any BD player is convenient.

P.

I would think that the benefit would be a better compression algorithm with less artifacts, which I am led to believe is one of the reasons we went away from MPEG2.

I would think it depends on whether you edit your home videos. If you do then its your output format that matters the most. A solution that might be a good idea for home movies could be something like a mac mini or apple tv- though I believe aTV is limited to 720p output (I could be wrong its been a while since I looked at it). I decided to go with this for playing back home movies- its real basic but it works:

http://dune-hd.com/hd_players/110-dune-hd-base-3.0.html

The interface is very rudimentary, but its also $300, which doesn't make it a killer expense. I built my own NAS where I store my home movies. When K addresses the home made HD movies and some other things Im waiting on, I'll move on to their setup and then I'll have a great NAS backup drive.

I would think it depends on whether you edit your home videos. If you do then its your output format that matters the most. A solution that might be a good idea for home movies could be something like a mac mini or apple tv- though I believe aTV is limited to 720p output (I could be wrong its been a while since I looked at it). I decided to go with this for playing back home movies- its real basic but it works:

http://dune-hd.com/hd_players/110-dune-hd-base-3.0.html

The interface is very rudimentary, but its also $300, which doesn't make it a killer expense. I built my own NAS where I store my home movies. When K addresses the home made HD movies and some other things Im waiting on, I'll move on to their setup and then I'll have a great NAS backup drive.

Thats a fair point about editing or re-editing. I dont usually re-edit but there could be times when I want to, but there must be simple avc editing tools out there also.

Thanks

P.

I'm from the take as much footage as you can school which means I usually have a ton of footage to edit. I might shoot 1 hour for a 2 hour birthday party and then I go back and try to edit that down to 2-10 minutes. No one wants to rewatch the whole party. Editing that 1 hour requires me to watch most of that hour to get the nuggets and also make sure I dont have people saying anything problematic (or embarrassing!!).....

Me too, but I have never gotten around to editing the footage. I keep thinking that's something I'll do when I retire - whenever that is! It's still an awesme experience to be able to tee up any home video instantly on the k-scape. Continuing that into the blu-ray/HD world will be fantastic once it's available.

Some of the new software out there has some auto editing in it that is surprisingly effective. Im sure they will find a way to get allow home movies. I agree its a great part of the system. What would be really nice- direct deposit of home movies in HD (or SD) straight to the hard drives. Im sure there will be concerns but Im also sure there is a way to deal with it.

Yes, direct deposit really would be nice. Having to do the intermediate step of creating blu-ray disks of home movies is a bit of a pain. In the past, my workstation and laptop have spent days pegged at 100% CPU utilization just rendering the HD content captured from my camera using Sony Vegas. After that, a couple of hours just to burn the blu-ray disk. Now, that's on relatively old iron (dual Xeon 3.6 GHz workstation, 2.8GHz dual core laptop), so I am hoping a tech refresh later this year will give me better resources to work with.

OK, I got my M500 yesterday. Very, very nice refinements to the user interface - really freshened things up.

The only thing I don't understand are the bluray import semantics. I imported an Avatar blu-ray disc. However, when I went back to play it, I wasn't offered a "Play Movie" option. Instead, I could only select "Play Disc", which behaved as if I had placed the disc in my PS-3. I had a menu to deal with, select "play", etc. I thought the experience would be the same as any other import (i.e. play movie, movie starts no menu, etc) as long as the disc was in the tray. Did I miss something?

If you are not offered "Play Movie" as an option, then they do not have the disc in their library. It is the same thing with DVDs. It would have to be sent in for bookmarking, which sucks on the BluRay titles because you cannot play the disc until you get the title back from them.

I finally went through my collection and dug out all the DVDs I could find that were not in their database and sent them in and found their backlog of entering titles into their system is a bit long. Perhaps they should open an express lane for BluRay titles due to the inability of playing the title when you don't have the physical disc in hand.

I also think it is odd that Avatar would be missing from their database. I had some fairly mainsteam BluRay titles missing as well, Bee Movie, Terminator 2, Hitch, and xXx (w/Vin Deisel). I wonder if there are some multiple pressings of some major titles that are causing issues for the bookmarking system. I know that the Baby Einstein discs had that problem - every so often they made a new pressing of them and they had to all be re-bookmarked each time. I recall somebody telling me when I sent mine in that it was the fourth time they bookmarked the entire series. Perhaps this happened with your Avatar disc.

Yeah, I thought it was odd that Avatar would not be in their database. The metadata is there - the cover art, description, etc, so I would think that would mean that the movie is in in the database.

No, it means that when the first person who loaded it didn't see the data, they put in the UPC code and Kaleidescape's system was able to find out which title that was and link it to the data they had for Avatar but it wouldn't have the same bookmark locations unless the disc was sent in.

OK, I will send it in. Come to think of it, I should send in all of my blu-rays now as I won't really be watching them much until the vault comes out. Too inconvenient as-is.

With the latest release of KEAOS (4.0.2) you can now import "self-authored" BR content, and other BDMV content. Once imported, these can of course be played back without the need for the physical disc (as can any unencrypted BR disc).:)

Jim

Back