• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

    This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

    It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

    This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

    You can dismiss this box forever by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner of this message.
  • You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

    The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

    ... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

    Benefits of registering for a full account:

    • Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

    It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

    This box goes away for registered users.

Movie Updates

When the file from studio is 4:2:2 there is no benefit of making a HDR file. The player will convert the Cinematic DV to Cinematic HDR with 4:2:2 on the fly when you play it. So there is no point in having a two "identical" files.

Isn’t HDR 4:2:2 10bit only? I was under the impression that DV 4:2:2 is not identical to HDR10 4:2:2 due to the compression mechanism offering perceived higher bit depth (the ridiculous 11.5bit claims)?
 
Isn’t HDR 4:2:2 10bit only? I was under the impression that DV 4:2:2 is not identical to HDR10 4:2:2 due to the compression mechanism offering perceived higher bit depth (the ridiculous 11.5bit claims)?
Why is the 11.5bit claim ridiculous?

It’s all purely to do with the colour container, they use ICtCp rather than YCbCr and using 10bit ICtCp is roughly equivalent to what you’d get using 11.5bit YCbCr.

I’m not sure any of it matters anyway since we are all using 10bit displays.
 
Isn’t HDR 4:2:2 10bit only? I was under the impression that DV 4:2:2 is not identical to HDR10 4:2:2 due to the compression mechanism offering perceived higher bit depth (the ridiculous 11.5bit claims)?
Cinematic HDR10 titles are 10 bit 444. If they don’t have a HDR10 option they either don’t have a 444 file or they haven’t done the encode yet. Some titles have been added over time that were only DV to start with.
 
Isn’t HDR 4:2:2 10bit only? I was under the impression that DV 4:2:2 is not identical to HDR10 4:2:2 due to the compression mechanism offering perceived higher bit depth (the ridiculous 11.5bit claims)?
Exactly. There is some difference. That’s why I used “identical”.
But the HDR10 4:2:2 file is pointless when we have the DV 4:2:2 file as I understand.
 
Exactly. There is some difference. That’s why I used “identical”.
But the HDR10 4:2:2 file is pointless when we have the DV 4:2:2 file as I understand.
I’m not sure I would say pointless. If I’m being honest I would always rather have a raw file rather than relying on a conversion. Just me maybe.
 
I’m not sure I would say pointless. If I’m being honest I would always rather have a raw file rather than relying on a conversion. Just me maybe.
Totally agree. Conversion is not optimal.
But I rather have a dozen more movies a week updated to 4K Cinematic than have K resources make dual 4:2:2 versions.

I was too late to alter my previous post. Maybe I should have worded ’pointless’ to ‘should be pointless’
 
Last edited:
Exactly. There is some difference. That’s why I used “identical”.

Ah, OK, I missed the "air quotes" part - amazing how nuance can get lost on a forum ;)


I’m not sure I would say pointless. If I’m being honest I would always rather have a raw file rather than relying on a conversion. Just me maybe.

This was exactly my point, any conversion has the potential to have issues and/or lose information. This is more likely when done in real-time on a low power device when compared with a (possibly) multi-pass encode which has access to the original uncompressed data.

I guess, in most cases the output from the Strato K of a downconverter DV file and a raw HDR10 file are probably similar enough that KS don't feel it is worth providing the second encode as it would confuse things further.

Given the choice of DV, HDR10 and SDR is available in many cases, the 'best' one for any system is potentially subjective these days anyway.
 
Because there is no such thing as half a bit! It’s just marketing-speak
It's not, you're just misunderstanding the claim. It has nothing to do with compression, it has to do with representing data in a way that more closely tracks human perception. Here's a PDF explaining it and the important claim is in the "baseband quantization" section -- basically, when you quantize color space representations down to 10/12 bits, how visible is the error?

The error for data encoded in ICtCp at 10 bits is between the error of YCbCr data encoded at 10 and 12 bits; as you say, there's no such thing as 11.5 bits, but you can compute the error of YCbCr as a continuous function, and if you _could_ have 11.5 bits, that matches where 10 bit ICtCp error would be.

It's a real thing, and a real advantage to DV over HDR10/HDR10+.
 
You still have an HD DVD player? :oops:
You still have DVD’s? How about CD’s or god forbid vinyl? I have vinyl. lol.

Yep. Still have it. Debated on a jumping into Laserdisc too. I love dead formats. I have the reference Toshiba player for HD-DVD. 🤔🤪😆
 
Another good sub movie is U571, it was a great demo movie back in the day 😃
Yup, I have the 4k DV version on K, along with the 4k steel book. I used to demo the old U-571 Blu-ray each time I needed to tweak the subs.

Some more titles which I adore are Crimson Tide, K-19: The widowmaker and Phantom (2013-Ed Harris).

Edit: just squeezing one more in; Das Boot (Director’s Cut)
 
Last edited:
You still have DVD’s? How about CD’s or god forbid vinyl? I have vinyl. lol.

Yep. Still have it. Debated on a jumping into Laserdisc too. I love dead formats. I have the reference Toshiba player for HD-DVD. 🤔🤪😆
Yep, it all started with Laserdisc’s for me, my demo was Saving Private Ryan 😃 from there it was Divx, Hd dvd, DVD, Blu ray, 4k UHD and now Kaleidescape. I still have a few of each of those for the memories. And as for vinyl I have over 3500 which I started collecting in my early teen years.
 
Yep, it all started with Laserdisc’s for me, my demo was Saving Private Ryan 😃 from there it was Divx, Hd dvd, DVD, Blu ray, 4k UHD and now Kaleidescape. I still have a few of each of those for the memories. And as for vinyl I have over 3500 which I started collecting in my early teen years.
I suppose with a name like HiFiHippie, I should have known better than to tangle with you. 😜
 
Yep, it all started with Laserdisc’s for me, my demo was Saving Private Ryan 😃 from there it was Divx, Hd dvd, DVD, Blu ray, 4k UHD and now Kaleidescape. I still have a few of each of those for the memories. And as for vinyl I have over 3500 which I started collecting in my early teen years.
Divx?!?!? I boycotted Circuit City until they went out of business over that crap. :ROFLMAO:
 
Back
Top