• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

LATEST UPDATE ON K

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post... new forum member, long time lurker.

I'm based in the UK and have had my eye on K for around 4 years. I've never been able to get the missus to agree though mainly due to the hardware costs.

With all this talk of a new 1k potential price point I thought I must register on here because it's what I've been waiting for! Much easier to sneek past the missus and I get to enjoy all the KOS goodness I've been pining for for so long! :D

However, the UK movie store it beyond terrible at the moment. I'm all for the bit for bit download future but I still couldn't bring myself to purchase the Stratos unless the UK store has all the content that (I assume) the US store has.

In the UK we have no Jungle Book, Civil War or Bad Neighbours 2, Zootropolis or the Huntsman: Winter's War.

All titles that I've recently purchased on iTunes, Google Play or Blu Ray. Are these titles present on the US Store?

The only recent big name on there is Batman vs Superman.

All these titles are available on every other service in the UK, just not on the K Store... if smaller players like Wukaki can get the deals in place, I expect a luxury player like K to be able to get the same rights deals done!

Access the US store then ;)

As much as I am excited to have K officially back, I am not as ecstatic as many of you on this topic. Being a client in Canada, I can tell you that the movie store is simply...horrible. With the purchase of my Strato (which I regret at this moment), I have 5 free Sony titles to collect, and yet I can't find one I am excited in getting! Then, to make matters worse, they want $42.99 for most 4K titles. I can buy 4K movies at Best Buy for $32.99! Yes, Atmos & HDR are coming, but they are not here yet. The disc from Best Buy has it all for $10 less. I am trying to understand how this is exciting? 3 weeks ago, my Strato was a $4,495 brick with the 57th Edition of Fifth Element. Yay! I definitely see the need for the Strato to have an actual drive now. My other frustration (being a Premier owner as well), is the lack of 3D playback. Yes, yes, I FULLY understand that the majority of people do not care for 3D. That is not the point. When you own a premium product such as K for your entire library, it really should be able to do it all, don't you think? Having to duct tape a $149 player on its back to have the ability to play all your discs really seems a shame. Not to mention that Cheena himself promised on more than 1 occasion that we would see 3D, it is now completely dead. And, the merging of Premier & Strato possibly upwards of 15 months away is also a let down. I am not trying to be Mr. negative, rather, just pointing out that the direction is not entirely fantastic.

I have to add my concerns to this original post, purchased a M700 vault and stratos 4k and 1U server about 5 weeks ago with the promise they would be linked later this year. the 4k box cost me over 2 thousand pounds, its been in place for 4 weeks and I still haven't used it. got several 4k discs that I can't watch also.

I have to add my concerns to this original post, purchased a M700 vault and stratos 4k and 1U server about 5 weeks ago with the promise they would be linked later this year. the 4k box cost me over 2 thousand pounds, its been in place for 4 weeks and I still haven't used it. got several 4k discs that I can't watch also.

Hi Radders,

While I understand your frustrations it would appear there is some confusion in your post. The Kaleidescape system does not support 4K discs and the functionality cannot be added by firmware update. Your 1U server and M700 should currently work perfectly as 1 system but the Strato will need to be on a seperate AV input and handle all store based content.

You could have all disc based content (DVD/Blu-ray) handled by the 1U/M700 and if the systems are both registered under the same account you could do digital upgrades/UV offers to get the downloads for the Strato. Just an idea :)

I stand to be corrected here but UK residents can't do that. UK store content only, it would seem. I've tried finding the US store on google but it seems to be location specific. It keeps directing me to the UK store.

Any browser extension such as ZenMate VPN will allow you access to the US store. You then need to have a US payment method but if you google entropay I'm sure you'll figure it out ;)

Any browser extension such as ZenMate VPN will allow you access to the US store. You then need to have a US payment method but if you google entropay I'm sure you'll figure it out ;)

Cheers for that :) I've used entropay before to buy stuff from the US PlayStation store so I'm up to speed :D

I'd like to know if K will get a deal made with Paramount Pictures, & Columbia Pictures. And HBO. (Band Of brothers)

And, the merging of Premier & Strato possibly upwards of 15 months away is also a let down. I am not trying to be Mr. negative, rather, just pointing out that the direction is not entirely fantastic.

When did we learn the merge was 15 months away?

Edit: Let me add a bit to this to insure this question isn't misconstrued. When the merge software happens --- it happens. I'm just trying to consolidate some remote control reprogramming work. If it's a few months out, I'll live with the workaround. If it's 15 months out, I'll likely get the work done now. I may have missed it, but I check-in regularly and saw nothing about a 15 month timeline.

Last edited:
New K isn't big on "timelines," but they did say they hoped to have BD (aka vault) support for Strato in 2017, which one of the employees said is a needed preliminary for the hybrid mode. Taking a long view on "2017" (aka December) yields 15-months, so anything dependent on that feature would necessarily take longer.

They are still big on "timelines," but from now on those timelines will be established internally, not made public, and the product will only be released when it is fully completed.

As far as actual timing of these projects, it will necessarily be slowed because of the reduction of personnel.

Jim

andre's I do not think anyone has heard that they have completed a deal with Columbia or Paramount. I had heard Paramount was about done when the issues occurred with Ksacpe this summer. I would love to hear about that too... I for one am happy they are back, albeit with a reduced staff... I too feel sorry for those who are no longer there but economics drive this and Cheena doing what he has to do to ensure survival is more important... while development will slow down, I am sure after hearing from us the priorities will be set and while it won't satisfy all of us it will continue progress..

it will be slowed? or wont be slowed. I wasnt sure if that was a typo Jim.

Sorry, could have been clearer.

My comment was just a logical statement regarding the timing of "projects" (defined as software updates, new functionality, new products, etc) now that there has been a reduction of personnel at K. They obviously cannot keep the same internal schedules with half the workforce.

I do however expect that they will push hard on the delayed software releases for vault integration, etc., as those are needed to support owners waiting to use the vaults they have in their Strato systems (already works for Alto).

Jim

Lets hope they have some announcements coming soon. I assume the marketing and communications people have been laid off, but they've been strangely silent since the resurrection. With dealers holding off recommending Kscape and clients delaying purchasing, I hope they have a revenue generating plan.

What worries me is that the new investment came from a few wealthy clients, and there's no new people on board, no new input of ideas and no new direction, and its lets carry on with just 40% of the staff and hope we make it.

In regards to where they put their resources, should vault integration be a priority? Clients with a vault and strato, have gone from moaning, to feeling lucky Kscape is still around! Would the integration generate new revenue? Would they be better off delaying it... this then forces clients who don't want a brick, to download from the Kscape store, which in turn increases their need for a Terra server purchase in the future (particularly if their preference is UHD). Disclosure, above is conjecture only, and I am a potential client that's put the purchase on hold, and reluctantly been buying 4k discs!

Lets hope they have some announcements coming soon. I assume the marketing and communications people have been laid off, but they've been strangely silent since the resurrection. With dealers holding off recommending Kscape and clients delaying purchasing, I hope they have a revenue generating plan.

What worries me is that the new investment came from a few wealthy clients, and there's no new people on board, no new input of ideas and no new direction, and its lets carry on with just 40% of the staff and hope we make it.

In regards to where they put their resources, should vault integration be a priority? Clients with a vault and strato, have gone from moaning, to feeling lucky Kscape is still around! Would the integration generate new revenue? Would they be better off delaying it... this then forces clients who don't want a brick, to download from the Kscape store, which in turn increases their need for a Terra server purchase in the future (particularly if their preference is UHD). Disclosure, above is conjecture only, and I am a potential client that's put the purchase on hold, and reluctantly been buying 4k discs!

As already stated in several posts, K is NOT going to release any statement about direction or strategy, so if that's what you are waiting for in order to get comfortable with a purchase, then you might as well find an alternative you think would better serve your needs (that is not intended to be rude, but you will not get what you are looking for in the near term from K).

Regarding dealer's holding off recommending K, I'm not sure who they are, but all of the dealers I know are still actively selling and installing K and are confident in doing so. Our sales numbers for K components are actually increasing, and those that know me know I would not be selling K if I had even the slightest doubt about their future. Buyer's will always find a willing Seller, so any reluctant dealers are giving up revenue, IMO.

I wish it were possible to provide the specific financial details that led to the temporary shutdown, and the steps take to remedy some short term financial issues, but those details will never be made public (no private company does that). Suffice to say, those corrective measures are already having a positive affect on K's operations, and the future looks bright.

For those looking to buy, I'd say why wait, you're missing out on the best movie viewing experience available IMO. For dealers, you already know how good these systems are, lets get back to selling and installing, it's a win-win for everyone.:)

Jim

I think when they finally release their new firmware (with HDR, etc. as outlined in the email) and if they add studios and additional 4K (as I believe they will), this will show they are healthier and moving forward. I know they won't release any info until they are ready to go, but looking forward to this soon! SJ

I think when they finally release their new firmware (with HDR, etc. as outlined in the email) and if they add studios and additional 4K (as I believe they will), this will show they are healthier and moving forward. I know they won't release any info until they are ready to go, but looking forward to this soon! SJ

You beat me to it. The most important things Kscape can do, at least in the near term, it seems to me, are (1) rolling out the kOS update to add UHD HDR capability to the strato and (2) finalizing deals with more studios to allow the sale of a wide variety and large number of UHD HDR quality files in the Kscape Movie Store.

I agree, and all of those items are being worked on by K.

Jim

I will say that completing the Encore integration with the Premier line will likely add sales of Strato players and Terra servers. I for one will be upgrading all the players in my system to Strato when that happens and getting a Terra server as well, but until the integration is complete, I don't want to confuse my family with a split system.

I will say that completing the Encore integration with the Premier line will likely add sales of Strato players and Terra servers. I for one will be upgrading all the players in my system to Strato when that happens and getting a Terra server as well, but until the integration is complete, I don't want to confuse my family with a split system.

I could not agree more this should be the most important Item on their agenda, i have about 35 clients waiting for this.

RS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back