• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

LATEST UPDATE ON K

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need Paramount. Anyone here know anyone at Paramount? Come on- someone has got to "know a guy..." �� Tell Paramount to quit screwing around and get in the Kaleidescape store!

I am happy to see confirmation that they are alive and kicking. That being said, I believe they need to shift their view of the market and that will correct the course of their business plan. The perceived cost of streaming content in 4k is zero for the hardware and a rental/purchase price for the content. The cost of hardware to buy in to Strato is far too high. You can only purchase content from them once you buy their hardware. The consumer will pay more to have a premium experience but not 6K IMHO.

The Premier clients are collectors. We collected albums, Laserdiscs, DVD and Blu Rays, but we are the very small minority. The money is in the guy who is streaming Faux K Netflix and wants a premium experience. If he could get a player for 2-3K it is a no brainer. They could have such a large base of customers the studios would be killing themselves to get at them. I think this is razor/razor blades or Chicken/Egg but that is just one man's opinion that has been in the industry since '79

Don't necessarily disagree with what you just posted That said a lot of why we love K Scape is the exclusivity. May not be best for their business model but it makes our Theaters stand out. I am just as happy NOT to have the cases of DVD's and BluRays. My Laserdiscs are now history, my records all replaced with Digital Music, my CD's uploaded to a hard drive and the cases litter the landscape. So where that meets with K Scape and where it meets the future is for K Scape to figure out. My old collections are only wanted by a very few...

I agree with the above message. If they make the Strato player 1.5k to 2k and the terra server in the vicinity of 2k, they would start killing it. Then people will start down this rabbit hole and get sucked into buying more movies from the store.

I went from almost buying no movies to owning close to 200 within a span of a year. This is steadily increasing and the vast majority came after getting into K systems.

What about introducing Strato at the 1k price point with the subscription price tacked on like we talked about earlier? This would get them there eventually. Pay a premiere price and no costs to the store. Pay a 1k price and it comes with fees. Just a thought.

I think you guys all make good points and I am concerned about the model going forward. I think Kaleidescape has to be about more than "just" 4K but it has to be the very best 4K quality and experience.

Just saw this. It doesn't really sound very promising. It states that Kscape has received equity funding, but then states that the staff count is reduced from 81 to 32. Firstly, I'm sorry for the staff that won't be going back, I feel for you guys and hope that Kscape can get some real funding or a buy out in the future and get you all back.

From a consumer perspective, while any kind of continuation is good for current clients, it doesn't sound good for me clients.

http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleidescape_is_back_interview_with_ceo

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link to the article.
As listed in the article:

But he adds, "I believe the luxury m arket can drop down to less than $1,000 and still be the Bentley."

Not sure if this means they will drop the prices or it was a typo and the 1000 is the number of luxury customers...If it is the latter, it does not bode well..If it is former, we are in for exciting times ahead..

I think he means price. I agree that could be a game changer, reduce the hardware prices, increase number of customers and in turn make the movie store the big revenue driver. Make the store mass market and the studios will want to be on Kscape. That model would have a better chance of succeeding than the previous one.

Nice to see they compare themselves to Bentley.. Bentley would be out of business too if they released cars as flawed as the Strato was when released!

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

This is new and interesting qoute from article "The Kaleideiscape movie store is still up, and the company will now spend its energy on gaining access to movies in an early-release window. Currently, only a handful of companies like Prima Cinema offer movies on the same day or shortly after titles are released to theaters."

Kaleidescape is trying to get into day and date releases?

This is new and interesting qoute from article "The Kaleideiscape movie store is still up, and the company will now spend its energy on gaining access to movies in an early-release window. Currently, only a handful of companies like Prima Cinema offer movies on the same day or shortly after titles are released to theaters."

Kaleidescape is trying to get into day and date releases?

Oh man oh man that would be so awesome!

Very sorry it appears not all are coming back.

It would be very exciting indeed if they got earlier releases.

As much as I am excited to have K officially back, I am not as ecstatic as many of you on this topic. Being a client in Canada, I can tell you that the movie store is simply...horrible. With the purchase of my Strato (which I regret at this moment), I have 5 free Sony titles to collect, and yet I can't find one I am excited in getting! Then, to make matters worse, they want $42.99 for most 4K titles. I can buy 4K movies at Best Buy for $32.99! Yes, Atmos & HDR are coming, but they are not here yet. The disc from Best Buy has it all for $10 less. I am trying to understand how this is exciting? 3 weeks ago, my Strato was a $4,495 brick with the 57th Edition of Fifth Element. Yay! I definitely see the need for the Strato to have an actual drive now. My other frustration (being a Premier owner as well), is the lack of 3D playback. Yes, yes, I FULLY understand that the majority of people do not care for 3D. That is not the point. When you own a premium product such as K for your entire library, it really should be able to do it all, don't you think? Having to duct tape a $149 player on its back to have the ability to play all your discs really seems a shame. Not to mention that Cheena himself promised on more than 1 occasion that we would see 3D, it is now completely dead. And, the merging of Premier & Strato possibly upwards of 15 months away is also a let down. I am not trying to be Mr. negative, rather, just pointing out that the direction is not entirely fantastic.

First post... new forum member, long time lurker.

I'm based in the UK and have had my eye on K for around 4 years. I've never been able to get the missus to agree though mainly due to the hardware costs.

With all this talk of a new 1k potential price point I thought I must register on here because it's what I've been waiting for! Much easier to sneek past the missus and I get to enjoy all the KOS goodness I've been pining for for so long! :D

However, the UK movie store it beyond terrible at the moment. I'm all for the bit for bit download future but I still couldn't bring myself to purchase the Stratos unless the UK store has all the content that (I assume) the US store has.

In the UK we have no Jungle Book, Civil War or Bad Neighbours 2, Zootropolis or the Huntsman: Winter's War.

All titles that I've recently purchased on iTunes, Google Play or Blu Ray. Are these titles present on the US Store?

The only recent big name on there is Batman vs Superman.

All these titles are available on every other service in the UK, just not on the K Store... if smaller players like Wukaki can get the deals in place, I expect a luxury player like K to be able to get the same rights deals done!

Let me echo the Chorus of how glad I am that K is back. I am also very pleased that they are pursuing their original plans and the delay in implementation is not a problem for me personally. One of the reasons I have not purchased the Encore line is it does not yet support discs. Disc support is what caused me to change my mind and enter the Kaleidescape ecosystem via the Premier line instead of the Encore. I have hundreds of discs such as the Criterion Blu ray catalog and many anime titles I watch with my children that are not in the store and may never be. I can't believe K is aggressively pursuing "Funimation" studios. Seriously, what do families watch without Studio Ghibli?

Anyway, the fact that K still plans on adding Encore Blu-ray support and provide the opportunity to merge the two lines in 2017 is great news. I also received an email from the loan department yesterday and although they have been trimmed down, after they dig themselves out of their backlog they will be back in business. Maybe slower turn around going forward but when this support is combined with disc vaults and a doorway to 4K in the near future the new K promises to remain the complete solution it has always aspired to. Way to guys fellows!

I'm happy K is back, but had to select "Eject All" on my disk server today. :( It faithfully handed me all of my blurays one at a time. I then pulled the plug. Hope to be able to finally use it in 2017. I don't have much need for it to play DVDs which looks like its short term use might be for.... SJ

Hey SJ, yes, we do understand that folks such as yourself are not able to get full use of the the Disc Servers that you bought to go with your Strato players. We have a couple of options available to help. Please contact sales@kaleidescape.com to learn about those options.

Hi Mike,

Instead of all of us mailing sales to find out the options, is there any chance you can post here what the possible options are?

I am sure there are others in the same boat who would appreciate knowing about the options.

For right now, please go ahead and email. I don't have the exact details but will work on getting them.

Delighted to hear the news that things are back on track. That's great for everyone concerned.

I would like to see some progress being made with the U.K. store regarding the content available. It is some way behind retail disc releases so there's not much incentive to choose a download over physical media at the moment. I appreciate there are a lot of factors involved but hopefully some progress can be made in that area.

All the best to you guys at K and thanks for your help and updates over the last few weeks. Onwards and upwards, as they say :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back