• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Last movie watched

Terminator: Dark Fate

I finally got around to watching. I didn’t expect much storywise and was pleasantly surprised. Good to see Linda and Arnold again. Great Atmos track.

The Menu - I wasn’t expecting too much from this one having noticed it tagged as horror in a review. Just can’t get interested in horror movies or being made jump for a couple of hours although I know most people do :) Anyway, it’s not what I would call a horror movie at all thankfully, albeit not for the kids or the particularly squeamish I guess. I won’t give the plot away other than it centring upon a couple attending an elite chef’s restaurant for a very special meal. I would suggest you don’t watch trailers or read about it. Just gamble on it and enjoy it as the Chef intended.

Brilliantly cast, acted, directed with a great script. The cinematography and framing reproducing that high end restaurant imagery.
Performances all round were good but the Chef, Ralph Fiennes, was a perfect fit while Anna Taylor-Joy was again magnetic on screen.

As with any meal, it will depend on your taste and mood but it just hit the right spot for us both.

I do have a strange recommendation. I have never thought before to drink a glass of wine while watching a movie but I just think treating yourself by opening a bottle of your fave red or white for this one feels appropriate and I wish I had about a quarter of the way through this. Spoil yourself :)

Bravo! :)

Plane - better than expected. Enjoyable action/suspense movie, sort of a throwback. CGI not the best, but it's a good popcorn flick.

Yesterday watched the new 4K mastering of "Once Upon a Time in the West" and it looks absolutely stupendous. The print is pristine, the colors natural and deep. Beautifully done. (Plus the movie is brilliant, of course.)

Today watched "The Running Man." My first time watching it. It's fun and funny - sometimes intentionally funny, sometimes not. 80s music and hair-styles (and shoulder pads) really age every movie made in the 1980s. Casting Richard Dawson as the game show host was genius! The film looks great in 4K.

Champions - is it formulaic? Yes, but it's so well done and worth the watch. 4 stars.

Watched "Promising Young Woman." As it was going I kept thinking "This is, at best, a 2nd draft of a screenplay that needed a lot of work." I then found out it won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, and was nominated for a bunch of other Oscars, including Best Picture. Well, it's certainly not the first or last time a piece of trash that got big awards. 1 star if I'm feeling generous. I want a refund!

Watched "Promising Young Woman." As it was going I kept thinking "This is, at best, a 2nd draft of a screenplay that needed a lot of work." I then found out it won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, and was nominated for a bunch of other Oscars, including Best Picture. Well, it's certainly not the first or last time a piece of trash that got big awards. 1 star if I'm feeling generous. I want a refund!
Not seen it, bought it a while back though and for some reason I had this gut feeling it wasn't going to be as good as it sounded... think its a long way down the list of priority watches

Watched "One Day as a Lion" last night. Entertaining at various points in the movie, but Scott (Caan) needs to stick to acting, the writing fluctuated from poor to okay throughout the movie, it was simplistic, inconsistent, and predictable, at best. At some points I could almost predict the dialogue before the actors actually spoke the lines. This movie needed Quentin......

Jim

Not seen it, bought it a while back though and for some reason I had this gut feeling it wasn't going to be as good as it sounded... think its a long way down the list of priority watches
There's a good idea there, but it is very undercooked. Like a 1990s independent movie that plays a few festivals and then disappears.

Ok, so not a movie, but ok if I talk about a TV series? We recently watched the first few episodes of "Lucky Hank" via the AMC app.

About the 3rd episode, we started getting ads more frequently that we can deal with so I checked to see if we could get it on K. Sure enough, and $14.95 for the season.

I'd have been happy enough to get rid of the ads and improve the quality a bit, but it was more than a bit.

My wife, (who is just as content with a big TV as being in our theater) immediately commented about the improvement in clarity and color.

And then the sound...

We have a JBL 9.1 sound bar in the room where we were watching, and the AMC track had so much vocal echo and other effects in the remote wireless speakers just behind our heads that it was totally distracting.

So much so that I was thinking maybe the sound bar was a big mistake.

Then we put on the K version.

Surround was just the right volume, vocals were much clearer and the overall sound quality improvement alone was worth the price of admission. In fact, I'd like to watch the next episode in the theater, just knowing how good the sound will be.

Now that we've seen how much better the experience can be, future series of this and other shows will always get the K nod when available and (relatively) reasonable ...realizing not many seasons are $14.95!

So for the review of the "movie" - this is good stuff. So far, we both like it a lot. Hank speaks volumes of truth, there are a lot of really good characters, and a lot of intelligent dialogue.

Solid 4 (out of 5) stars (we're just to the 4th episode.)

Great value, imo.

Last edited:
Champions - is it formulaic? Yes, but it's so well done and worth the watch. 4 stars.
We just watched Champions last night. I'd say formulaic is an apt descriptor.

We enjoyed it and couldn't help thinking that movies are fun when they're made for the intent of entertaining, as opposed to being used as a tool in service of an agenda.

Watched "Guy Ritchie's The Covenant" with friends.
We all thought it was great.
Solid 5 stars - story, acting, picture and sound.
Curious how it compares to "Kandahar," if anyone has seen both.

Watched "Guy Ritchie's The Covenant" with friends.
We all thought it was great.
Solid 5 stars - story, acting, picture and sound.
Curious how it compares to "Kandahar," if anyone has seen both.
Agree. Well made, and engaging movie.

Watched this underrated movie, Blue Bayou starring Alicia Vikander and Justin Chon who written, directed and starred in the movie. Surprisingly good and well acted. I went and bought the physical disc after watching it in K which I own in 4K. Physical media is only in Blu-Ray so a win for K.

Watched this underrated movie, Blue Bayou starring Alicia Vikander and Justin Chon who written, directed and starred in the movie. Surprisingly good and well acted. I went and bought the physical disc after watching it in K which I own in 4K. Physical media is only in Blu-Ray so a win for K.
We watched that a few weeks ago, had been in my wish list for awhile but we finally rented it and completely agree. Really enjoyed it. Well written and well acted.

Back