• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

KEAOS (Software) UPDATES

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Hi Folks, we have a current thread used discuss software updates, and you should continue to use that thread, here: Latest KoS Version & Changelog?, to post comments or ask questions, but the intent of this thread is provide the info K is willing (or able) to provide at that time, regarding the software release. It's also important to point out a couple of things:

1. Software updates are usually just minor bug fixes, or a minor adjustment to make a function work better, and no discussion is necessary.

2. Updates are rolled out in a specific sequence based on many factors, so not everyone gets the update at the same exact time, and it can be weeks before you see the update in your system. Complaining will not get it to you faster.🤪

3. Some updates reported by owners, i.e. "My system updated today to........" may not be ready for a general release, and may be related to something the owner previously reported, or perhaps a beta function, etc.. (see #2 above), so don't worry if your system doesn't update to that version as you might expect, if it's meant for your system it will eventually show up.

4. Updates may include code for future functionality, or enhancements, and K may not comment on this until they're ready to Beta, or release to all owners, so asking for more info will likely go unanswered, and K apologizes in advance, but that's the policy, so please be patient.

Just to reiterate, I would like this thread to be used ONLY by Kaleidescape personnel to post a comment about the update. This way we can all see the release numbers in order, and can see what's included in the release without having to read through 5 pages to get the answer. I will either delete, or move any posts by members, so please don't be offended if that happens. (Yes, you can "likes" but please don't comment.)

Thanks folks!

Jim

MikeKobb

◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
Howdy folks!

kOS 10.9.0 has been rolling out to customers in recent days. This release contains the usual assortment of bug fixes and improvements, plus two major new features.

1. Movie rentals! Starting tomorrow (January 26), movie rentals will be available on Strato players. Like purchased movies, Kaleidescape rentals are downloaded in full resolution, not streamed. You'll see rental options appear within the store interface on web, mobile, and in the Strato onscreen display.

You will have 30 days to start watching a rented movie. Once you start watching, you will have 48 hours to enjoy the movie. Note that a rented movie can be downloaded to only one home at a time, and watched on only one player at a time. If you decide after viewing the movie that you want to own it, and you purchase it within 30 days of the rental transaction, half the rental price will be applied toward the purchase.

Please read our FAQ to learn more about this new feature.

2. We've also made significant improvements in how hard drive failures are handled for Terra servers. If a hard drive fails in a Terra server that's running 10.9.0 or later, and if there is enough room available on that server (or other Terra servers in the same system), then the system will immediately begin downloading the affected movies so that disruption to your library is minimized. As well, there are email and mobile app notifications as well as messages in the onscreen display and on the web store, and the status of your content restoration will be viewable within the download queue interface on both web and mobile. Note that we do reserve space on the system for new purchases and rentals, so a restoration won't completely fill up the system and leave you unable to get new movies. It will pause restoration until the failed drive is replaced, if necessary.

J.Green

◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
kOS 10.9.1-22013 is mainly a patch release. This kOS release includes the following notable new features:
  • A redesigned Strato Video configuration page with improvements including:
    • added the ability to use CinemaScape when using the “Use External Scaler” mode
    • added new “HDMI Color Sampling” settings to the Advanced Config section
  • Improvements to the Audio configuration page
  • Improvements to the warning and error messages displayed by the Browser Interface
Notable bug fixes in this release:
  • Fixed issue that could cause playback authorizations to timeout on systems with large libraries

KDeering

Great update! Love that you can have the main OSD in different aspects without having to scale output for movie playback. Also love the option for different refresh rates. This will work great for those with slow synching displays between the OSD and movies!! Output colorspace is also a great option! So much win!!!!!

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Updates are not immediately available to everyone, but eventually reach all systems. Updates are normally automatic, but when we do force one it's by a simple "Restart." (There is no "update" button, or link to an update.)

Jim

J.Green

◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
How do you force the update? I’m still on the old one. Thank you.
I restarted my Terra and Stratos but no luck. Hope to have this update soon. I’m still on kOS 10.9.0-21934 on January 21.
We do staged rollouts for software updates so not all systems have the update available to them just yet. For this update, most systems should have the update available to them by the end of next week.

jmdls

I see I got the update (yay!) and I *feel* like I should know this answer but after a chat with engineering (unrelated subject) I'm not so sure I do.... If I want to have the smoothest GUI (60 fps) BUT also enjoy movies in unaltered/unconverted 24 fps, should I have my system set to "Allow display mode changes (use external scaler)" and OSD Refresh "Prefer 60 Hz onscreen"? What are the benefits (with current/real-world/available content) for going with an HDMI Color Sampling setting other than "Automatic"? In the ? of that section under "Prefer 4:4:4 30-bit" it says it will attempt to use this but may fall back to lower if needed." That sounds *kinda* like automatic...? Thanks in advance for any clarification!

MikeKobb

◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
Hi John,

Assuming that you are using an external scaler to up/downscale content, then yes, “allow display mode changes (use external scaler)” + ”Prefer 60 Hz onscreen” is what you want.

In terms of color sampling, this is really there to help out with certain video processors and components that perform better with particular color format. All of the content is 4:2:0 except for the OSD, which is 4:4:4. So in terms of actual movies, you‘re losing no data — it’s just about how it’s packaged.

jmdls

Hi John,

Assuming that you are using an external scaler to up/downscale content, then yes, “allow display mode changes (use external scaler)” + ”Prefer 60 Hz onscreen” is what you want.

In terms of color sampling, this is really there to help out with certain video processors and components that perform better with particular color format. All of the content is 4:2:0 except for the OSD, which is 4:4:4. So in terms of actual movies, you‘re losing no data — it’s just about how it’s packaged.
Thanks, Mike! The "External Scaler" could be that built into my PJ though, right? I'm really just trying to make sure I'm actually getting movies in 24 fps all the way to the PJ, and not up-scaled in the Strato to 60...

KDeering

Thanks, Mike! The "External Scaler" could be that built into my PJ though, right? I'm really just trying to make sure I'm actually getting movies in 24 fps all the way to the PJ, and not up-scaled in the Strato to 60...
Allow display changes will ensure that you are getting the proper frame rate (24 vs 60). Use External Scaler will not only give you the right frame rate, but also output at the native resolution (480/1080/2160) of the content instead of the Strato always upscaling to 2160p.