• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape Will Release Upgrade Details This Week

Yes, indeed. Disc-to-digital is still supported on Encore systems and so that will also apply to movies stored on your Premiere system and playable through Encore.

A customer might own a Premier line system, they sell this and buy a Encore but decide to keep say a M300 for the bedroom. Is that possible?

Ah, I see. Yes, that should work fine. Once they've been grouped with the Encore system, the M-Class players are full-fledged members of that system.

Ah, I see. Yes, that should work fine. Once they've been grouped with the Encore system, the M-Class players are full-fledged members of that system.

Thanks, that's good to know.
Jim was going to find this out for me, but it won't hurt posting it here too, what happens to the premier line server when it's in 'special mode' but then sold on to another owner?

Is the special mode reversible?
What happens to Disney rights, are they tied to the 'server' or the 'account'?

Thanks

Like many here I am very pleased with this announcement. Thank you to the K team for continuing to support us!

You can take the Premiere server out of the special mode and use it as a normal Premiere server again, so if you sell it on, that's no problem.

I actually will have to do some research on your other question.

This integration of Premier and 4K player support is the great news we have been promised and awaiting.

But, not a single mention of 3D support for either existing Premier or 4K components / systems on this forum topic.

So much for importation of our 75+ 3D Blu-rays via Premier components.

Presuming (and this is a huge presumption here) that 3D support might be coming in a future firmware upgrade for Strato as alluded to in the initial press release, will the K store offer 3D downloads, and has this even been addressed in Studio discussions and negotiations?

And if I may digress, $150 for a pair of Strato rack ears which should be included in the carton? Can't wait to see these pearlescent titanium accessories.

But over all good news.

Hello, Ken! 3D is still on the roadmap, and the Strato hardware is designed to support it. We're not prepared to announce a date or details such as the ones you've asked about at this point, though.

The rack kit is not pearlescent titanium -- it's a very stylish black. ;) It's a complex piece, though, that's designed to look cosmetically great in the rack. It's not just a pair of 90° angle irons. I think you'll understand when you see it.

K units in black!

Hi Mike:

Can we order our units in "stylish black" so they look great in a rack too?;)
I know the new Encore units have more of a traditional look already, so that is nice.

Keep up all the great work here with your communication; it is appreciated.

tzfan, you can order Strato in any color you want, so long as it's clear anodized aluminum with a black faceplate. ;)

I am a Premiere system owner who may be considering adding a Strato 4K movie player to feed my 4K projector. I think I understand how the new "Encore" system would work, but wanted to make sure. My current system consists of a 2 TB 5U server, a 24 TB 3U server, an M700 disc vault and several M500 players and a reader. I have 320 blu-ray discs in the M700 vault and a substantial number of DVDs and a number of K Store movie downloads all stored in the 2 servers. If I want to add a Strato 4K movie player with 6 TB storage to the system, as I understand the imported DVDs and blu-rays can remain on the current servers and still be accessed from the Strato movie player as well as the existing M500 players. I understand the current movies downloaded from the K store (all blu-ray quality) will need to be transferred from the current 3U and 5U servers to the Strato 6 TB storage. Any future DVDs or Blu-rays can continue to be imported into the current 5U and 3U servers, but any K store downloads need to be stored on the Strato 4K unit. If I run out of space on the 6 TB storage in the Strato movie player, I can add a Terra movie server to provide additional storage space for more K Store downloaded movies (whether blu-ray or 4K quality). The current M500 players will continue to be able to play movies stored on either the current 5U and 3U servers and the movies stored on the Strato and Terra servers.

The Strato movie player will play 4K movies downloaded from the K store, but will not have the ability to play any 4K UHD discs once those discs become available as I understand. If that is correct will there be any ability in the future to be able to purchase a 4K UHD disc and play it on the Kaleidescape system?

Sorry for all the questions, but I wanted to make sure I completely understand how the new system will work before I make any decisions.

Thanks for any comments or corrections to the above.

Last edited:
it's clear [...] aluminum

I guess now we know who invented the stuff.

Basically K-class players become glorified music points and M-class players/vaults need to attach to Encore for playback and [at least initially] to Premier for importing. So my questions on this grand new endeavor....
1 - Do they still count for validating presence in the system while configured for import? (Corollary: Since DV-700s have no player, and everything should automagically import to the Premier side, does it matter where they attach?)
2 - Will special-mode give Premier systems the option to catalog only?
3 - Can you still manage audio from the Encore-side, or will you need to use the webUI for both sides depending on medium?
4 - Under the current method I get to not re-purchase movies, while Disney gets to sit & spin on a rusty fence-post. Everyone was happy. What part of 4K playback for everyone else's content requires changing the Mousetus quo?

Hello, sshearer!

It sounds like you understand very well. Yes, you would be able to do exactly what you've laid out. Your M700 and any or all of your M500 players would be un-grouped from your Premiere system and grouped with the Encore system (initially, the Strato). All of those players would be able to play the DVD quality and Blu-ray quality downloads from the Movie Store, plus the imported movies stored on your two Premiere servers.

You could keep the Reader with your Premiere system if you want, for DVD import.

Do you use the music features of your system today? If so, and if you want to continue to do so, you'd want to plan to keep at least one player grouped with your Premiere system to use for music. That player would not be able to play any movies, so it would just be dedicated to music.

Strato does not have an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive in it, so it definitely cannot play those discs presently. We're evaluating whether to add support for this format to our product line, and no decisions have been made at this time.

Oh, sorry, I missed answering your question on Strato's noise level: I don't have the audio figures in front of me right now, but it has a single, large-diameter fan. It's pretty quiet especially in standby, when the hard drive spins down. I will follow up with the engineering team to see if we've done a formal sound level measurement.

I would really like to know if this is a component that can sit in an open cabinet in the same room as the viewer in terms of noise.

Hi iansilv, I'm going to try to get you an actual measurement if I can, but it's definitely designed to be used in the way you're asking about.

Hello Transepoch. Let me see if I can answer at least most of your questions:

1. The Disc Vault and players can only provide disc presence information if they are grouped with the Encore system. This is why the upgrade process outlined in the PDF document notes that the disc vault will move to the Encore system, and suggests leaving an M500 with the Premiere system to serve temporary import duty until the feature to allow automatic import from the vault is ready. You could leave a disc vault with the Premiere system just for import purposes, but it would not provide any disc presence information, so we expect that most people wouldn't choose to do that.

2. No, the Premiere system will not be able to catalog discs, but this would not be useful anyway. After the initial migration operation, all of the movie library management is handled by the Encore system. If you wanted to catalog a disc, you should just do that on the Encore system. Do you have a specific use case in mind here?

3. The Encore system doesn't know anything at all about music. It doesn't even have the music guide database onboard. So, yes, you would need to use the Premiere system's browser interface to manage the music library, and the Encore system's browser interface for the movie library.

4. I'm not at liberty to discuss the details of our content license agreements beyond what's in the FAQs, I'm sorry.

Mike, you are definitely racking up the post count this week.

Transepoch, that was truly funny.

I suppose the next question people will have will be if there is a trade-in program on gear. I will personally keep my M-class players for audio, but I can foresee not needing my second 3U server as soon as I transfer all my store content off it and I would expect my content to shrink - especially when the last two major studios come online and if they offer disc to digital upgrades. I could see the possibility of not needing one of my vaults if that happens and they allow disc to digital upgrades of the numerous TV series I have.

I also expect the transfer of movie store content to the Encore system will rapidly eat into the 6TB drives I would have on each of the players so a Terra server will be in my immediate future.

Yes, dang it, I meant to start my reply with "Ah, a keyboard. How quaint." :)

Right now, there's no trade-in program. We'll certainly let you know if anything changes on that front.

Regarding storage planning for your Encore system, we're working on a system design guide that will spell various considerations out in detail. In the interim, just keep in mind that an Encore system can contain at most four players that have their own internal storage. Beyond that, you have to have a Terra server for acceptable system performance.

Also keep in mind that there are some limitations on how many movie streams can be played simultaneously from the hard drive of a player. If your system has multiple zones, but seldom has multiple movies playing simultaneously in different zones, then this may not affect you. But if multiple simultaneous playbacks are important, having the content on servers is the best way to go. Otherwise you may find a movie that you want to watch can't be played because the player storing it is already playing other content for other zones.

Mike and everyone thank you for the dialogue and information. Some questions - apologies if I missed the answer:

If I move my Premiere system over to Encore, and I have 1 Encore 4K Strato player, it seems all my previous movie store purchases move over to the Strato (or Terra server if present). Correct?

What happens if I purchase a new movie in 4K? It seems the Strato is my only player capable of playing that format back. If I want to watch this movie on one of my M class players- then I will have to download a HD version of the same movie. I think I read somewhere that this is possible- but of course will take up more storage space. My question is- where will that HD version of the movie reside? I ask because I have a lot of storage space still available to me in my Premiere 3U setup. I have a feeling you are going to say it will have to reside in the new Encore equipment. If thats true, I will say I consider it a small price to pay to be able to integrate the systems- though it would be optimal to be able to store the HD content on the Premiere. One option would be to buy the physical disc for the HD content I guess...

Also for music- I do use the system for music- but not that often. I have an older multi zone K music player (forget the model now)... If I want to retain that music ability I would then keep the multizone music player associated with my Premiere system along with say an M500 for CD import? Even though my Premiere servers and other Premiere devices (Vaults/ M Class Players) are now associated with Encore system, the CD data, and even newly imported CD data would still be recognizable to the remaining Premiere components (multizone music + M500 playback/import)?

I have to say, overall I think you have done an excellent job with this program. Anyway, do I have the above correct?

Jerry,
In a hurry to get to a job site right now, and I'm definitely not Mike, but wanted to post quickly You'll only be able to purchase a movie in UHD/4K if you have a player of some kind, and the content will go directly to that, or the Terra that supports it. If you purchase a movie in UHD/4K there will likely be a 1080p version, too, and that will be available and playable for your M-class players. Also, the Strato can down-convert UHD/4K content for a 1080p TV.

I use my system for music, too, and also have the four zone K Music player. Nothing will change functionally for those going forward. The K Music player can already import CDs, and even DVDs, so you are good to go.

Thanks Mike for your very prompt reply. From a movie point of view, I am very satisfied with the solution and it is virtually a no-brainer for me.

However, as I thought about the music issue, the cost of involved to keep my K music collection is going to be very expensive and complicated as I understand the situation. Let me explain my current K movie and music setup. I have a distributed audio and video system that feeds everything in my house other than the theatre and one other TV. I have 2 M500 players that provide the movies to all of the rest of the TVs in the house and also provide the music that can be watched on all those TVs. In addition the music is distributed to ceiling speakers in most all of the rooms of the house. This is accomplished by hooking up 2 M500 players to a Crestron hardware and software system that distributes the movies and music throughout the house. The reason for 2 M500 players is to permit the playing of 2 different movies or 2 different music sources at the same time as not everyone may always want to watch the same movie or listen to the same music at the same time. Remote controls connected to the Crestron system control the movies and music on the TVs and Crestron wall-mounted control pads control the music going to the ceiling speakers. This system also distributes 2 DirecTV receiver signals along with a Roku and AppleTV signal throughout the house. The Crestron hardware is maxed out as far as source devices. If I want to continue to have a similar setup after adding a Strato player and Terra movie server, I would need to do at least the following:

1. Purchase 2 new M500 players and find rack space for them.
2. Replace the current Crestron hardware to provide the ability to add the two new M500 players (for music).
3. Do reprogramming of the remote controls and the Crestron control pads to access the new M500 players used for music and make any associated changes to take into account having to change to the web browser interface for the music.

I would need to have my dealer perform all these tasks and reprogramming. In my case, this would be a very expensive process. I would like to hope there would be a much easier and less expensive solution for me, but based on my understanding I will need to do the above.

Is there any chance the K might add music capability to the Encore system in the future?

This is going to be a very difficult decision for me that will either require a huge expense or altering dramatically my current setup in my house. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Scott

Back