• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape Will Release Upgrade Details This Week

End State
You would have your Disc Vault(s) and all of your players on Encore. A disc inserted into the vault would be automatically imported onto the Premiere system.

If you wanted to do disc-to-digital, you would just insert the disc into one of your players, and when the movie detail sheet appears on screen, you could do the disc-to-digital transaction right there and then eject it. You'd really never even need to catalog it.

Intermediate State (no vault import yet)
You would have your Disc Vault(s) and nearly all of your players on Encore. You would leave one M500 player behind on Premiere to allow importing discs onto Premiere. For systems that have DVD import capability, when you import a DVD, you just take the disc out and store it. When you import Blu-ray, you take the disc out and then put it into the vault so that the vault can verify disc presence.

If you want to do a disc-to-digital offer, then just as above, you put the disc into a player on the Encore system and do it.

But, what happens if you put a disc into the Encore-connected Vault during this interim period? In that circumstance, it would be cataloged, and if you selected it in the onscreen display and said "Play", the vault would actually load the disc into the optical drive and send the bits over the network to the player. (This is how Alto systems with Disc Vaults work today, so that functionality carries over.) Once disc imports are supported, though, those discs would be imported and then played from the Premiere server.

Will this be configurable in any way? Believe it or not, I would actually prefer the intermediate solution.

Most people with a premier system will have plenty of storage space after moving their store downloads to the encore system, but I would like to keep a single C1 mostly for DVD imports. If the vault starts importing everything, I would quickly run out of storage space.

With the intermedia solution, I could control what is imported and what is cataloged by either putting the disc in the vault or importing through the C1. I would mostly use the C1 for DVD imports to save the vault slot. I'm ok with only cataloging Blu-rays since a vault slot is still used anyway.

Another benefit would be for folks with only Strato players. If a guest brings over a Blu-ray disc, it would have to be inserted into the vault instead of the Strato since it has no disc drive. Having to wait for the import to complete would not be ideal. If the vault would catalog it instead, the disc would be available for playback very quickly.

The ideal solution for me would be to catalog by default with the option of going in through the browser interface to trigger an import. This wouldn't be a useful feature for a lot of people, so it's probably not worth the development effort.

It would be nice to at least have the option to disable imports from the vault for users with limited storage space. I already have this problem with my two C1s and disc vault. My vault is mostly empty, and I actually opted in to Disney downloads to save hard drive space.

Just some food for thought...

Interesting use cases and suggestions, thanks. I can't say for sure if that will be possible but we'll definitely take it under advisement.

Interesting use cases and suggestions, thanks. I can't say for sure if that will be possible but we'll definitely take it under advisement.

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. I'm not even sure if I'll use a Cinema One in this manner. I have so few DVDs left that it's probably not even worth it. If K gets Fox and Paramount in the store, my vault space shouldn't be a concern anyway.

Maybe I'm missing something, but other than people with small collections would benefit from this. On my 3U server, I have over 24TB used and 28TB free. I've purchased every disk-to-digital upgrade available, so my M700 is pretty full, but only with disks that I couldn't upgrade from the store. Well over 200 disks of store purchases. If I were to take this offer, I'd be forced to move all my store purchases over to the Encore using up precious limited space and I'd end up with tons of wasted (and very expensive) disk space on the Premiere server as well as no way to import (I have only one 3U server and one M700 and only one 1080p display). I don't see that the offer gives me anything but a pretty interface and takes away so much. If I somehow need 4K in the future, why wouldn't I simply get an Encore system and run it in parallel with the Premiere?

Maybe I'm missing something, but other than people with small collections would benefit from this. On my 3U server, I have over 24TB used and 28TB free. I've purchased every disk-to-digital upgrade available, so my M700 is pretty full, but only with disks that I couldn't upgrade from the store. Well over 200 disks of store purchases. If I were to take this offer, I'd be forced to move all my store purchases over to the Encore using up precious limited space and I'd end up with tons of wasted (and very expensive) disk space on the Premiere server as well as no way to import (I have only one 3U server and one M700 and only one 1080p display). I don't see that the offer gives me anything but a pretty interface and takes away so much. If I somehow need 4K in the future, why wouldn't I simply get an Encore system and run it in parallel with the Premiere?

You can do that.

Back