• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape Will Release Upgrade Details This Week

Mike Kobb- thank you! This solves the problem we premiere system owners were upset about. Now, we can buy an encore and integrate it with our premiere systems. We get the benefit of having a 4K interface and new hardware, while maintaining the legacy of being able to rip disks exactly as we have been doing for our legacy systems. As far as I am concerned, Kaleidescape has completely taken care of its customers- bravo, thank you, and well done!!

Thank you very much! We value our relationships with our customers above all else, and I'm really happy that we were able to design something that gives you all a way to enjoy the Encore products while still benefitting from the disc import features of your Premiere systems.

The FAQ explains that pre-M-class players/vaults will not be able to be used as players in a combined Encore/Premiere system (#3). But it does not say whether the ripping capabilities of such equipment will remain intact, so that would be good to know.

It also intimates that you lose access to any scripts you have on your Premiere system (#12), if I read that correctly.

Hi Mike,

Great news all round. I think this covers so many of the concerns many had regarding their premiere systems.

I use a K Music player for distributed audio. I hope this will still function if it is still grouped with the Premiere system.

Thanks to all at K for such hard work in getting this accomplished and in showing such dedication to current system owners.

Wayne

Hello tzfan,

Players older than M-Class can't be moved from the Premiere system to the Encore system. If left with the Premiere system, they are not able to be used for movie playback, because once the Premiere system is put into the special mode that allows Encore to access its stored movies, then that's the only way to play movies -- through the Encore system and its players.

If you use the music features of your Premiere system, you could leave the older players grouped with your Premiere system, and then you would be able to continue to use those players for music. Basically the entire "Movies" column will disappear from the Main Menu, but the Music column will still be there.

Obviously, players older than M-Class would not be able to be used to import Blu-ray discs, but if your Premiere system supports DVD import, and if you leave some older players grouped with the Premiere system, you could use those older players to do DVD (and CD) import to the Premiere system. The imported DVDs would then automatically appear in the Encore system's onscreen displays, and be playable.

You are correct that we are not planning to support scripts on Encore at this time. Is that a stumbling block for you?

Hello Wayne,

I'm very happy that you like what we've come up with! Yes, your music player will still be supported by your Premiere system and can still be used to play music once your Premiere system is running in the special mode that allows Encore to play its stored movies.

Just a couple quick clarifying questions...

In order to have the "total experience" for video in BR and DVD formats plus audio in CD format that is currently provided by Kaleidescape, I will need what connected to each end point in a future/target 4K state? If I am interpreting the quote below accurately, it sounds like the future state is that a new Strato player and a legacy K player each with it's own need for HDMI inputs or additional HDMI switching integration, related cabling, additional power consumption, an additional remote control integration, and finally physical space for equipment placement is needed. Is that accurate?

If so, I really enjoy simplicity; one unified interface using one player - HDMI source is ideal (which the current state provides in the simplest of setups) and this will be weighted in a purchasing - upgrade decision. Being green on power and having a solution that is efficient on space used are also concerns contributing to what I perceive to be the TCO of a 4K server solution.

Good morning everyone!

[*]Regarding music, the thing to understand about this upgrade is that you will have an Encore system and a Premiere system (although the Premiere system will be operating in a special mode). The Encore system will not have music features, but the Premiere system will, and you can still use those features if you leave at least one player grouped with the Premiere system. Essentially, when you want to watch movies, you use the Encore system. When you want to listen to imported albums, you switch to the Premiere system..

Hello tzfan,

Players older than M-Class can't be moved from the Premiere system to the Encore system. If left with the Premiere system, they are not able to be used for movie playback, because once the Premiere system is put into the special mode that allows Encore to access its stored movies, then that's the only way to play movies -- through the Encore system and its players.

If you use the music features of your Premiere system, you could leave the older players grouped with your Premiere system, and then you would be able to continue to use those players for music. Basically the entire "Movies" column will disappear from the Main Menu, but the Music column will still be there.

Obviously, players older than M-Class would not be able to be used to import Blu-ray discs, but if your Premiere system supports DVD import, and if you leave some older players grouped with the Premiere system, you could use those older players to do DVD (and CD) import to the Premiere system. The imported DVDs would then automatically appear in the Encore system's onscreen displays, and be playable.

Thanks, Mike, that clears the old player import issue up. You might want to add your explanation to the FAQ.

You are correct that we are not planning to support scripts on Encore at this time. Is that a stumbling block for you?

I think it is a great feature as so many other media servers do not allow scripting, so I view it as a useful differentiator and a great demo vehicle to draw people into the K universe.

Hello Calm-One (I love that monniker!),

It's hard to answer that question in general terms because there's such a wide variety in how people have configured their Kaleidescape systems. Let me give you a single specific example that will perhaps be illustrative, and I'll use my own home as the example.

I have one very high quality music listening zone in my home (in my theater). The rest of the house uses a distributed audio system with a mix of ceiling speakers and floor-standers.

On the video side, I currently have one 4K zone (my theater), and the rest of my TVs are HD.

I have a dedicated player in my theater connected via HDMI, and a second player that connects to an analog video video distribution system (component video up to 1080i) to serve the other rooms in the house.

Upon performing this upgrade, my topology will change as follows:
  1. The dedicated HDMI-connected player in my theater will be replaced with a Strato player.
  2. My distributed player (an M500) will be ungrouped from the Premiere system and grouped with the Encore system.
  3. The former theater player will remain grouped with the Premiere system, and I will use it for music playback.
  4. I will make a new digital audio connection from that player to the theater's audio processor (probably using the coaxial output).
  5. That player already has a component video connection to the analog video distribution system (even though it's the theater player, I wanted other zones to be able to mirror what was happening in the theater).
So, when I want to watch a movie in the theater, I'll be watching the Strato. When I want to watch a movie elsewhere in the house, I'll be watching the distributed M500. When I want to listen to music, I have two choices. I can turn on a display and use the OSD on the former theater player, or I can just use the iPad app to control it. Either way, the audio will be going through the multichannel distributed audio amp.

Long story short, in installations where distributed audio is in use, you may only need one player grouped with the Premiere servers to use for music playback, especially if you use the iPad app for control.

Hello Kevin!

You could certainly still set up a system that way if you don't mind playing your discs from the vault rather than from an imported copy on the 1U. We designed this upgrade because most customers who already had Kaleidescape systems wanted to keep the ability to play their imported movies. This applied especially to folks whose systems are capable of importing DVDs.

What were you wanting to do with your 1U?

Hello, Mike. Thank you for your prompt reply. I was hoping that there would be a path for me to trade in my 1U towards the purchase of a new Strato w/memory. (Keeping my vault to play pre-existing discs) I recently played a Disney movie from my vault that could not be imported. The time issue was negligible to me. All of the other Kaleidescape features and convenience are why I own and love this system!

Thank you, again!
Kevin

I know you are asking Mike, and he'll probably give a better answer, but my understanding is that all M-Class (and only M-Class) Players will work with the Encore line, but obviously will not be 4K capable.

Jim

I know you are asking Mike, and he'll probably give a better answer, but my understanding is that all M-Class (and only M-Class) Players will work with the Encore line, but obviously will not be 4K capable.

Jim

Thats great, I'm assuming the disk drive will work for local playback on the M500 too. (Obviously no imports to the Encore)

Hi again Mike,

I currently have 2 M500 players in my system, one for DVD region 1/Blu-ray region A and one for region 2/B. If I upgrade my region 1/A player to a Strato and keep the region 2/B M500 player grouped with the Encore system, will:
1. The Strato player play imported (and recognized) DVD and Blu-ray content from regions 1/A and 2/B once imported into the Premiere server?
2. The M500 region 2/B player still be usable for non-imported or unrecognized DVD and Blu-ray discs?

Also regarding the Strato player with a 6TB drive - I have seen heat output figures, but what about noise levels?

Thanks!

Wayne

Hello, Mike. Thank you for your prompt reply. I was hoping that there would be a path for me to trade in my 1U towards the purchase of a new Strato w/memory. (Keeping my vault to play pre-existing discs) I recently played a Disney movie from my vault that could not be imported. The time issue was negligible to me. All of the other Kaleidescape features and convenience are why I own and love this system!

Thank you, again!
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

At this time, there's not a trade-in program such as you've described, but that doesn't mean that there won't be at some point in the future. I'll definitely relay your interest to the sales team.

Hi again Mike,

I currently have 2 M500 players in my system, one for DVD region 1/Blu-ray region A and one for region 2/B. If I upgrade my region 1/A player to a Strato and keep the region 2/B M500 player grouped with the Encore system, will:
1. The Strato player play imported (and recognized) DVD and Blu-ray content from regions 1/A and 2/B once imported into the Premiere server?
2. The M500 region 2/B player still be usable for non-imported or unrecognized DVD and Blu-ray discs?

Also regarding the Strato player with a 6TB drive - I have seen heat output figures, but what about noise levels?

Thanks!

Wayne
Hello again, Wayne!

Yes and yes.

To be more verbose about it: DVD region is important at import time, and if you do any playback directly from the optical disc. The drive mechanism's DVD region has to match the disc's region. Once imported, any player in the system can play the imported DVD.

Blu-ray region is important at playback time. The player's region must match the disc's region or, in the case of Kaleidescape, the system as a whole must have a player matching the disc's region. Assuming that your Strato is a Region A player(*), then your Encore system will have a Region A player and a Region B player, so it will be able to play Blu-ray discs from either region.

Your Region 2/B M500 will be able to play imported DVDs from any region, imported Blu-ray discs from Region A or Region B, Region 2 DVDs directly from the disc tray, and Region A or B Blu-ray discs from the tray.

(*) Possibly non-obvious point: even though the Strato does not have its own optical drive, it still has a Blu-ray region. M300 players are the same way.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry, I missed answering your question on Strato's noise level: I don't have the audio figures in front of me right now, but it has a single, large-diameter fan. It's pretty quiet especially in standby, when the hard drive spins down. I will follow up with the engineering team to see if we've done a formal sound level measurement.

One question and sorry if I have missed an answer, after the upgrade will disk to digital upgrades still be available so that I can download a movie already imported into my premier system when later released in the store?

This would be important for me as a UK customer due to the limited UK store.

Back