• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape launches movie download store

I think the store is very well done and I picked up a couple of movies last night. I also shot them a suggestion they they establish some sort of a "shopping cart" ala Amazon.
I fear they really won't get a great metric on the demand if they don't. Many of us will probably sit on the sidelines for the most part until B_R content is available. If demand is part of the marketing equation to intice other studios, the queues in any type of "reminder" space would be at least as effective as the sales of DVDs IMHO.

I've purchase 4 movies thus far. Download time is under 25 minutes and speeds average around 35-40 Mbps (FIOS). For me, delivery speed is great. Nice to see that normal K data is applied to these movies as well.

For the store, I'd like to see a list of movies available that I don't own since a large portion of the titles available post-1980 are already in my system. While it's good to see what I own for cross-reference purposes to other titles (actor, genre, director), I need to wade through a large portion of lists having movies that I already own.

Great suggestions. I agree on more data and details, and definitely would like to have a way that we can watch lots of trailers before deciding on purchases.

These suggestions were also made during the Beta, so we'll see what gets implemented going forward.:)

Jim

I find that trailers before purchases are helpful. Now if the studios wanted some extra dollars and advertisements, I would pay for a small collection of trailers of DVD/bluray released movies. Easier organization when doing scripts. A great addition to scripts.

Being able to download trailers of movies currently in the theaters would be a great advertisement mechanism to the K audience. Apple currently has a trailers App for ATV and iPhone, so letting me select, for example, Warner Bros trailers through the store could increase my chance of buying the DVD/Bluray/going to the theater. I could show a series of in-theater movie trailers and the beauty is, the trailer already exists.

K is offering a "buy all" option which obviously would be a massive download. I've never had a need but do the ISPs offer an unlimited service?

As a follow-up to this question, will K* offer the option to mail a hard drive with movies on it? Over the internet is great for a single title if you want to watch relatively soon (i.e., less than 1 hour if good internet connection), but a 3TB with Blu-Ray quality downloads can be mailed much faster and cheaper than downloading. Specifically, that's 1 year's worth of bandwidth caps for most ISP's, and total download time for 3TB could easily take several weeks (or more) not to mention it would slow your internet speeds to a crawl for other internet use while it was downloading.

In the past, if you ordered one of Kaleidescapes collections, they actually shipped you the disks. Now that the download store is open, I wonder if they will still provide this service.

Can't believe I missed the announcement by two days!! lol

Email sent for approval to the store......waiting (im)patiently...........

jk Tom ;-)

jk Tom ;-)

Good luck...I sent mine within hours of the announcement and I'm still waiting, too.

--Donnie

jk Tom ;-)

We're on it!:D

Jim

Is there a way to view all available titles?

For those who have already tried the service, are you able to start watching a movie before it has completed its download?

No... The system behaves just as if you are importing it from a player. It displays % done and time left, but the movie doesn't show up until the download is complete.

That's too bad. Would like to see this ability implemented on future updates much like purchasing through iTunes. Once HD files are available, it would nice not to wait: decide on a movie, gather the family and snacks, blankets, pillows, etc and start watching.

So the system behaves like my current settings. Plop in the new Blu-ray disc, watch movie tomorrow.

I tried a download day before yesterday. Works like a charm!! Very fast and sustained download speed.
The number of titles seem very very few or am I not navigating right way through the site?? I thought they will have 8000 titles from Warner. When I navigate through each Genre, there are only couple of dozen or so on each category??

Mani

I think since the store is still in Beta, that they only have the titles you are seeing right now, with more to be added over time as I understand.

Good point there C. I guess it depends upon how quickly the other major studio's come onboard (assuming they do).

Jim

There will probably be studios that hold out either all of some of their content.

Look at how long it took for The Beatles to be available on iTunes...

Once a customer’s system is linked to an account on the Kaleidescape Store website, the titles of their current movie collection are automatically cataloged and kept up to date.

*twitch*twitch* Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh... that better be something we can disable.

Also not impressed with the pricing based on a spot checking of the current store listings. May try checking it against their own repeated sales one of these times.

Finally, surprised the Gray Eagles demo isn't there. However, could just be part of the general no-HD filter in place.

Is there a way to view all available titles?

I suggested this during Beta (others probably have as well), so hopefully that capability will appear soon.

Jim

Back