• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Is K showing anything new at CES 2015?

I live in rural NC. I paid five figures to have fiber run a little over three miles to the closest POP for fiber to my house and am now at 20MBs over it for several hundred dollars per month.

I *really* wish you people would stop talking about your big bandwidth. *sigh*

--Donnie

I think eventually it will all be wireless. The problem with higher bandwidth is there are plenty of bottlenecks out there. But like Mike says- first world problems. Life is good when this is your issue. Sorry Donnie, that is a crummy situation.

i got Fury at 70mbps so I don't think Kaleidescape's servers were maxed out for that, but I remember all of us were getting very slow speeds when they did their first Black Friday sale about 14 months ago.

My last few:

55.4 mbps
57.0 mpbs
49.4 mbps
54.9 mbps

Thats at different times and using Optimum Online 100mbps service I've run a few speeds tests and sometimes it actually clocks in over.

That log looks exactly like my system except I have 100 Mbps FIOS. VZ insists its not them

USA Household Broadband Download Index (averages)

Although my business is about as far from A/V as one can get, being an eCommerce pioneer, I've always paid close attention to the Internet bandwidth landscape in the US, since it puts the butter on my bread. When and if K enters the streaming business, they will of course pay even more attention to the evolving metrics.

In the US, the download average index is currently 32.7Mbps. It varies considerably in different regions. Washington state (naturally) has the highest index at 44.91Mbps. For comparison, Maine is in last place with 16.68Mbps. It will be a few years before technology makes realistic bit for bit UHD streaming practical as a business. (There are not enough of us willing to pay for the highest available speeds to make it a viable business, unless of course, K is willing to throw their business model in the dumpster, and get into fast food).

Here's the entire chart:

WASHINGTON

44.91 Mbps

MISSOURI

42.42 Mbps

DELAWARE

39.91 Mbps

CALIFORNIA

39.54 Mbps

NEW YORK

39.29 Mbps

UTAH

39.22 Mbps

RHODE ISLAND

39.18 Mbps

NEW JERSEY

37.83 Mbps

MASSACHUSETTS

37.52 Mbps

NORTH DAKOTA

37.25 Mbps

NEVADA

36.42 Mbps

OREGON

36.19 Mbps

COLORADO

36.18 Mbps

MARYLAND

35.67 Mbps

VIRGINIA

33.97 Mbps

TEXAS

33.81 Mbps

NEW HAMPSHIRE

33.31 Mbps

OKLAHOMA

31.69 Mbps

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

31.58 Mbps

FLORIDA

31.57 Mbps

SOUTH DAKOTA

31.40 Mbps

CONNECTICUT

30.65 Mbps

LOUISIANA

30.55 Mbps

ARIZONA

30.50 Mbps

ILLINOIS

29.99 Mbps

PENNSYLVANIA

29.40 Mbps

KANSAS

29.39 Mbps

WEST VIRGINIA

28.86 Mbps

TENNESSEE

28.85 Mbps

MICHIGAN

28.81 Mbps

GEORGIA

28.70 Mbps

NEBRASKA

28.40 Mbps

ALASKA

27.69 Mbps

IOWA

27.27 Mbps

MINNESOTA

26.95 Mbps

ALABAMA

25.19 Mbps

MONTANA

25.15 Mbps

VERMONT

24.96 Mbps

INDIANA

24.73 Mbps

WYOMING

24.61 Mbps

ARKANSAS

23.43 Mbps

SOUTH CAROLINA

23.19 Mbps

NEW MEXICO

22.81 Mbps

WISCONSIN

22.36 Mbps

MISSISSIPPI

22.36 Mbps

NORTH CAROLINA

20.57 Mbps

HAWAII

20.55 Mbps

OHIO

19.66 Mbps

IDAHO

18.52 Mbps

KENTUCKY

16.79 Mbps

MAINE

16.68 Mbps

Source: Ookla Net Index.

http://www.netindex.com/download/2,1/United-States/

My last few:

55.4 mbps
57.0 mpbs
49.4 mbps
54.9 mbps

Thats at different times and using Optimum Online 100mbps service I've run a few speeds tests and sometimes it actually clocks in over.

These speeds are consistent with mine in the UK using an 80mbps service.

I just did a test with speedtest.net, and I got 113.02 DL and 16.63 UL. However, my K store downloads are consistently in the mid to low 30 range, with the highest so far being 37.8 Mbps. This is even for stuff that queued up for overnight downloads. The "desired download speed" setting is at 60 now, but it was at 100 when I got 37.8, and I have gotten 37.2, essentially the same, when it was set to 60, so that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Do you think my ISP (Mediacom) is throttling the K downloads?

Last edited:
I just did a test with speedtest.net, and I got 113.02 DL and 16.63 UL. However, my K store downloads are consistently in the mid to low 30 range, with the highest so far being 37.8 Mbps. This is even for stuff that queued up for overnight downloads. The "desired download speed" setting is at 60 now, but it was at 100 when I got 37.8, and I have gotten 37.2, essentially the same, when it was set to 60, so that doesn't seem to have any effect.

I am not sure about if they are throttling. I got my Alto delivered on Thursday and got to set it up same night at around 8 PM PST. From that night to now (Sunday 7 PM PST) I have downloaded 60 movies (HD) to be exact. That is 60 movies in about 3 days. So roughly I get around 90MBPS average.

Cheers

Raj

Wow. 90 Mbps average is excellent. Are you seeing this data in the interface, or just guessing based on time frame and number of movies downloaded? I haven't seen the Alto interface yet, so I didn't know what was available on it. Based on the fact that a couple of guys here are seeing 70 Mbps downloads average on certain movies, I was certainly hoping for more.

Try a Speedtest while doing download. If it is your ISP throttling then this speedtest should be very low. If it is The K Store limiting, then the speed should be in the range of max DL minus K DL.

John

I regularly get between 70 and 105 Mbps on my store downloads. In fact, I'm downloading a movie right now and it is currently clocking in at 81.6 Mbps.

The service I have theoretically gives me 250 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.

I will try the Speedtest while downloading. That'll be another good data point. The fact that you guys are getting from 70-105 Mbps on downloads means that K is capable of serving that up. My suspicion at this point is my ISP is throttling the downloads, which chaps me. I will have to talk with them.

One note, I have noticed myself that there have been moments where the speed can hit mid 40s or even low 50s, but the end result is an average only in the mid 30s. That's what I care about, because that tells me that a movie can hypothetically stream, at least with a buffer. It's really an intellectual exercise, because I don't care if I have to wait a few more minutes for a movie to show up at this point. I don't normally wait until I want to watch it before I DL it. That process usually happens no later than the morning per notte di film a casa mia.

I checked last night, and a movie that runs for 2 hrs and 33 minutes was able to DL in Blu-ray quality in 2 hrs and 11 minutes. So that tells me that overall, it downloaded faster than the data rate on the movie would require for playback. This is encouraging to me for the future.

On Alto I can go to browser experience and see for each movie downloaded average speed and time taken. I came to 90MBPS from this.

Cheers

Raj

Thanks, Raj. That's good info. Seems like several of you are able to download at 70+ Mbps. I would have guessed K built their system right, but this seems to confirm it. Seems more and more likely that it's an ISP issue.

I will chime in at downloads in the 80mpbs range. I did have a few titles that came in slow, so there might be some choking if there is a server that is limited in its capacity to offer up a lot of data and has more titles coming from it than normal.

If your speed is consistently low, it would sound like throttling. If it is spotty, then it would be something else.

80 Mbs - I can only dream of such speeds. :mad:

My ISP certainly throttles downloads as my line speed is generally around 35Mbs but 27Mbs seems to be the best I get in reality for a download from the store.

Try a Speedtest while doing download. If it is your ISP throttling then this speedtest should be very low. If it is The K Store limiting, then the speed should be in the range of max DL minus K DL.

John

Great idea. I'll have to try that. I am also paying for 100mbps and only 30-60 routinely when I check the K logs. I have complained to FIOS but when I do the speed test my system pings at 95+. I also know that speed tests can be fixed in so much as being optimized for results and not real world usage. The problem is getting Verizon to remedy the problem. Not sure if that will be easy

Back